Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2019, 08:04 PM   #1

Thoughts on 2006 Chevy Express 3500 MidBus four window with 4.8L

Greetings from Illinois. Thanks to all contributors that make this site a tremendous source for those of us starting the Skoolie adventure. As a part-time job for the last 15 years, I've had the pleasure (most days) of working in school transportation. I won't say I'm in too unique of a position, but my prospective skoolie candidate is a four window 2006 MidBus Chevy 3500 Express that I've been around since it was new so I know it's history from the beginning. It has come to its useful end as far as the district that owns it is concerned. Positives, as I see about it: It's already white, so I won't have to paint over a yellow color and will maybe make the insurance easier to secure at a fairly reasonable price as Vin# info. pops up as Chevy Express (We'll see.) Body and frame are in decent shape despite spending its life in the Midwest. Runs and Drives. Negative: Typical thinner medal, with visible rust spots, used on original floor so I'll not only be pulling the seats out but I'm sure I'll be replacing the floor so I know that I'm back to a secure, clean slate. I'm sure I'll run into other issues with a bus this age the more I tear into it. My question for those of you out there with some insight is regarding the 4.8L V8 it has. Any opinions pros/cons, experience with this engine? Enough power? Easy to work on, parts readily available? Mileage is around 80K for what it's worth. Thanks for any input you are able to share. BTW, username is paying homage to a love of my preferred storage medium of music, vinyl records, and not the material that the typical school bus seat is made of.

Vinylman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 08:52 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
I have owned several Chevy Express work vans with the 4.8L over the years. I never had any issues with any of them, most were traded in around 100k HARD miles with only routine oil changes being done. Take that FWIW.

My only worry would be weight, I would keep a close eye on the GVWR and be sure not to exceed it with my build. I had a few 2500 vans with the 4.8 and single rear wheels. I tended to exceed the GVWR and the rear ends were not happy about it.

Is yours a single or duel rear end?
Old 05-25-2019, 09:20 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
It all depends on the type of use you plan to do in it. 80K on the clock ain't bad. There should be plenty of life left in it if the maintenance was kept up properly.

As far as around town or local jaunts, it should be fine.
If you're planning on long distance hiway trips or towing a trailer, it might be underpowered?
Your fuel mileage should be more reasonable than the 6.0 of the year.
}Good luck and post pics...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:07 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I hear vinyl is making a comeback.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 10:14 PM   #5

It's a dually.
Vinylman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:40 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylman3 View Post
it's a dually.
The dually will handle the load better, but the 4.8 is going to be working hard to move that wind resistance at freeway speeds or towing.

And thank you for not saying "duely"
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 04:57 AM   #7

We recently got a Collins built 2005 Chevy Express 3500 V8 4.8, 4 window, single rear wheels. Paid $10.5k for it because it was basically in new condition with only 50k miles.

Stripped out seats and rear heat and a/c (with hoses back to the engine) and ceiling panels then had it weighed and came in around 6000lbs!

Not planning on living out of is just more comfy for family roadtrips. Gonna put back in 2 of the double seats facing eachother for safety driving with our kids. Queen size bed in the back for family sleeping

Flooring is finished. Still working on convertible bed area and unistrut roof rack for solar panels.

Planning a roadtrip in July! Wish us luck we mostly finish the build by then!

Btw we removed sooooo much xtra cables that weren’t even plugged in to anything!
Attached Thumbnails
43DCB769-9736-4587-B9CE-CA712491907B.jpg  
PigPilot is offline   Reply With Quote