Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #1

Tips for getting Skoolie home

So I believe I have found the right bus for my Skoolie project. I just face one challenge, getting it home safely. The bus is about 5 hrs away from where I live in Florida. And the person selling wants to sell it this week (even though it’s been posted on Craigslist for 2 months now, I feel like it’s a sales tactic). The person selling said it’s registration is expired. I’ve done some research, and some people say you can a temp tag and registration to drive home with. That’s probably the best option for me. Because once I get it home it will be sitting for a bit to be converted.

-So to anyone who has advice or experience on the subject (especially dealing with Florida) I would be so grateful!

-And I thought about starting another thread for this topic, but any advice on driving and handling a bus? The biggest car I’ve driven is a Nissan Pathfinder and I know a bus is way different. But I’ll need to start learning somehow if I plan to live in my Skoolie FT.

Thank you!

ddbbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddbbella View Post
So I believe I have found the right bus for my Skoolie project. I just face one challenge, getting it home safely. The bus is about 5 hrs away from where I live in Florida. And the person selling wants to sell it this week (even though it’s been posted on Craigslist for 2 months now, I feel like it’s a sales tactic). The person selling said it’s registration is expired. I’ve done some research, and some people say you can a temp tag and registration to drive home with. That’s probably the best option for me. Because once I get it home it will be sitting for a bit to be converted.

-So to anyone who has advice or experience on the subject (especially dealing with Florida) I would be so grateful!

-And I thought about starting another thread for this topic, but any advice on driving and handling a bus? The biggest car I’ve driven is a Nissan Pathfinder and I know a bus is way different. But I’ll need to start learning somehow if I plan to live in my Skoolie FT.

Thank you!
Be careful and check with the selling state. They might not give you a temp tag until the back-fees are paid if the registration has expired.

Your home state won't care.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:27 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
What state are you buying it from? Ga. allows you to drive on the BOS for 7 days. State Farm covers the purchased vehicle for those 7 days on your auto policy.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:25 PM   #4

I’m buying it in Florida. I guess I’m mostly concerned with just getting it home. What is the process I need to go through? Do I need insurance to get it registered? Which insurance companies will insure it for a day or two?
Old 02-27-2018, 01:40 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
I’m buying it in Florida. I guess I’m mostly concerned with just getting it home. What is the process I need to go through? Do I need insurance to get it registered? Which insurance companies will insure it for a day or two?
So you live in Fla. where you are purchasing the bus? Just about every state will require insurance to register it, every state will require you to have insurance to operate it on the roadways. Who will insure it for a day or two? No one. But you will be able to purchase a plan you make payments on after paying a couple months up front and then canceling. Your existing auto policy may cover you in a newly purchased vehicle for a short time at purchase.
Fill out your profile so we know who you are and where you're from to better handle your questions.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
First if the seller wants to get rid of the bus this week, he's ready to give a serious discount. This guy has been to cheap to maintain registration on the bus. Makes you wonder what else has been deferred.

If you go ahead and buy this bus, please have the seller take you for a drive and explain how to deal with city driving. I know you won't have any trouble on the freeways.

Did you buy this bus already? We're pretty good at evaluating buses if you can put the pics and information online.
Old 02-27-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC G3500 Vandura
Engine: V-8 5.7L Gas
Don't be scared. People leave school buses alone. Just stay in the right lane and drive it on home.
On the minuscule chance you get pulled over don't forget that Dave Chappelle quote:
"I didn't know I couldn't do that."
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:47 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
You get far more done if you ask for forgiveness instead of permission.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:03 PM   #9

Well now I’ve found buses closer to where I live in Tampa at a dealership. So would driving 2 hours without registering or having insurance be the worst idea? I’ve read all the forums about people trying to get insurance for their Skoolie pre and post renovation. And I’m feeling apprehensive now about everything because of the insurance.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:17 PM   #10
Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Well now I’ve found buses closer to where I live in Tampa at a dealership. So would driving 2 hours without registering or having insurance be the worst idea? I’ve read all the forums about people trying to get insurance for their Skoolie pre and post renovation. And I’m feeling apprehensive now about everything because of the insurance.
Here's my thoughts, for what it's worth.... 1) you don't say how big your bus is, but check with FL DMV to see whether you need a CDL to drive solo in a privately owned school bus (it isn't an RV, yet). 2) check with your insurance company to verify that you would be covered on the drive home with your bus. Some do, but my Allstate said that since I had no commercial vehicles on my policy I wouldn't be covered so I had to get my commercial for private use policy before the drive home. You certainly don't want to have anything happen and not be covered. Asking forgiveness might get you out of a ticket, but won't help much in a lawsuit.
TrailLifeBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:22 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
This might seem a bit preachy, but no one should ever drive a vehicle on the road without insurance.

You are not just risking your own financial future, but other people's as well.

Everyone who has a Skoolie managed to get insurance, and so can you.

You do not need any kind of CDL to drive it while it is still a bus, but Florida might impose weight restrictions on what you can drive on your regular license, you'll have to check.

If they do you might need a Non-Commercial Class B adding to your license. This is nowhere near as important as insurance. Licensing and registration are simply a personal choice that you would most likely get away with if you are driving a big yellow bus in a sensible manner.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote