Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2021, 03:20 PM   #1

Tons of Questions???

My wife and I are seriously thinking about jumping into the deep end of this pool...

My wife has been working remotely for about a year now, and I'm a truck driver. We are in our early 50's and are contemplating our later years and we both love to travel. my biggest concern is income. i understand that my wife's income would be steady, but i really couldn't drive truck from place to place. We have always been a 2 income household and was thinking that i could pack hand tools and make wood crafts and sell as a side income. I guess my question is, how much cheaper are living expenses compared to living in a home/apartment? how are people making a living?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments
Irish Mike Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:38 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Good questions, and not something I can answer myself from experience, but there are YouTubers who do different things to support their nomadic lifestyle (though they do mention caveats and some have had to give it up)...

There are other questions that should be answered as well, selecting a bus, etc... Most of which can be answered in the threads linked in my sig... Good luck, and welcome to the community!

"CHEESE WAGON" <anomaly.va@gmail.com> Suggested reading: (5 threads)
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:26 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
travel and income

Boats.... marina to marina, lake to lake, boat docks, sewing, hull scraping, painting, repairs etc....

earn a good reputation for really good work and you will never be out of an income. Word gets around you will be arriving and people will be lined up for waiting for you to arrive.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:33 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I think it's like anything else. If you stay at Motel 6 versus a Hilton. How much you drive. How comfortable you want to be temperature wise, heat and a/c. Then there's maintenance, repairs and if it's a bus and a diesel, you're a trucker, you get it.

As mentioned, lots of YouTubers, including people living on the SSI. They have some incredible ways of making life comfortable and affordable.

For me, when I fully retire, the plan is to follow the moderate weather, stay put for a good amount of time and find low cost places to stay.

One retired woman stays the Summer in New Mexico. New Mexico has a deal where you can buy a season pass to all their state parks for $250. There's a limit on the amount of time you can stay in each park, but it sounds like a great way to see the state. This cuts down on her fuel, maintenance, etc. by staying put.

Sign up to be camp hosts. Free camping in return or a bit of campsite management.

Health insurance is always a big one for me. If I lived in a U.K. country, I'd really be foot loose and fancy free.

Per work, there's lots of options.

With Elon's satellite internet, it's going to easier to work remotely.

As you said, make a product and sell it. People who go to the different fairs around the country representing a product or selling their own wares.

Buy a cosmetic deprived home, live in your skoolie while you fix up the home, then sell the home. Take the profits and go buy the next home. Or, rent the home out. This way, if you keep investing in homes around the country, you can write off traveling and such expenses when you go visit the homes to check on them, do repairs, meet potential clients. A Tax person can help you figure out that part. Pretty soon, you've got investments homes around the country and get to write off going to visit them.

My main point is, there's opportunities. You have to know your abilities and how to put them to work while living on the road.

Hope some of this got some ideas flowing.

Best of luck.