Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Girardian Handicapped Commercial
Chassis: E-450
Engine: Ford 7.3L
Rated Cap: 9,000
Tow Rig

Howdy Y'all,

My main goal is to have a vehicle that I can tow a trailer with four wheelers.

After considering a pick up truck which pulls great and has usefulness outside of towing. However, it doesn't fill the other need of sleeping accommodations while out four wheeling.

Then there is a classic RV. But it just seems anything in my budget is extremely "past its prime."

With a school bus I like the opportunity to build it how I want. And to grow into my needs. Like possibly using it for a year only on weekends then transforming to a month at a time then maybe full time. Looking forward to learning lots and challenging myself!

mc11237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
You're in the right place, start reading everything you can here. It is a wealth of info here.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:41 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome,

There are plenty of folks here that have done something similar. Check out the build threads.

As far as purchasing a bus, don't get too excited or in a hurry to get any old bus. Contemplate how you are going to use the bus, pick a set of specs and shop for that bus.

I hate to see folks settle for something that doesn't suit their needs because of some sense of urgency.

I bid on buses at auction for 18 months before I was successful in winning my bus at auction. I wound up with a bus with, IMHO, one of the best drive trains commonly found in school buses. It suits me too a "T"

Good luck with your quest.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Welcome,

There are plenty of folks here that have done something similar. Check out the build threads.

As far as purchasing a bus, don't get too excited or in a hurry to get any old bus. Contemplate how you are going to use the bus, pick a set of specs and shop for that bus.

I hate to see folks settle for something that doesn't suit their needs because of some sense of urgency.

I bid on buses at auction for 18 months before I was successful in winning my bus at auction. I wound up with a bus with, IMHO, one of the best drive trains commonly found in school buses. It suits me too a "T"

Good luck with your quest.
I cringe when I see first posts here- "Well we bought a bus, it's a 1997 40'er with a 5.9/545 (million mile motor), 300k miles, paid $6k for it in N.Y.. Plan on building a toter out of it to travel the country in."

If only they came here when they had initial interest.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
Almost There

Thanks everybody for your immediate support! I'm already leaning on some great resources internally. I'm lucky enough have a cousin who is a professional Yellow as well as White bus salesman. And a good friend who is a diesel teacher. I have them tasked with keeping theirs eyes open for me. I have been researching and considering for a couple months already. With a time frame of wanting to start in the Spring, I'm not jumping into anything too quickly.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:35 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Not sure what you need. But I bought a shuttle bus that tows my 20' trailer with side by side and quads. Shuttle bus has 2 bunk bed style futons for sleeping up to 6 people and a couple of kitchen cabinets. Mines 1997 e350 with 5.4l v8 engine. Wish it had the v10 but it does the job.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:51 PM   #7
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadsled01 View Post
Not sure what you need. But I bought a shuttle bus that tows my 20' trailer with side by side and quads. Shuttle bus has 2 bunk bed style futons for sleeping up to 6 people and a couple of kitchen cabinets. Mines 1997 e350 with 5.4l v8 engine. Wish it had the v10 but it does the job.

I would really like something big enough to eventually live in possibly off grid. And able pull 10k of rock crawling buggys and all the tools to maintain it for lengthy trips.

I'm really surprised it can pull all that!!! I've heard a DT466 is the one for me.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc11237 View Post
I would really like something big enough to eventually live in possibly off grid. And able pull 10k of rock crawling buggys and all the tools to maintain it for lengthy trips.

I'm really surprised it can pull all that!!! I've heard a DT466 is the one for me.
Can't go wrong with the DT466. I made an 8" garage in the back with double doors for loading bikes.