Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2020, 12:06 AM   #1

Transmission question

"2007 Chevrolet 3500 24 Passenger School Bus with 98K miles. V8 6.6L Duramax Diesel Engine. Perfect for School Bus Conversions! Newly Rebuilt transmission with a 1-year warranty!"

Description of a bus I came across: I know the rebuilt transmission is a huge red flag, but I don't know much about diesels. (new to this as in 3 weeks ago started searching around and watching videos.) This is a little out of price range for me ($9000). If i could get the owner off of that price, would it be worth investigating a little more? Or is that rebuilt trans an immediate no-go?

To add: There is another one at the same spot, a 2006 with 164k, no trans rebuild for $5500. Is this 3500 Duramax a good engine?

Thank you,

Taylor

Tothestarsandonward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:40 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
REbuilt transmission isn't any kind of a red flag for me. Buses are hell on transmissions.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 07:28 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
REbuilt transmission isn't any kind of a red flag for me. Buses are hell on transmissions.
Me either. Especially on the light duty 1 ton van chassis.

Make sure there is paperwork for the rebuild, and that you're not just taking someone's word. Also make sure the warranty is transferable to new owners, most aren't.

Just a side note, most duramax's come backed by an allison transmission. The van chassis does not. They come with the 4l85e, so take that for what it's worth
Old 02-28-2020, 10:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Me either. Especially on the light duty 1 ton van chassis.

Make sure there is paperwork for the rebuild, and that you're not just taking someone's word. Also make sure the warranty is transferable to new owners, most aren't.

Just a side note, most duramax's come backed by an allison transmission. The van chassis does not. They come with the 4l85e, so take that for what it's worth
Is the 4l85e a bad transmission? Thank you guys so much! I appreciate the feedback. I’ll definitely take a second look at it now that it’s not a huge issue I need to worry about. (If I can track the history of the bus)
Old 02-28-2020, 11:01 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
It's not terrible. But behind a duramax with a lot of weight it isn't ideal either. Most van's had a detuned duramax so as long as everything is stock I wouldn't fret.

They seem to do great behind gas engines.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:36 PM   #6

Thank you! I appreciate the insight.