Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2021, 07:43 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Traveling Archaeologist/Budding Skoolie Fanatic

I've drawn my blueprints, bought solar, DIY'd a pooper, and SO READY to buy a bus. BUT I'm needing to tow my car so I an get to work once I'm parked. I'm hoping to go small, around 26ish ft, no more than 30. Is anyone else towing a car with a shorter bus/shuttle? Does anyone have any advice on understanding if this is even possible? I've spent hours trying to understand, but I have more questions than answers. I've read through the forums here but most are towing with larger busses and a lot of the replies are above my pay grade (aka I need someone to dumb it down for me). I'm new to this community, and a little leery about asking for help, but it seems like everyone is kind on this site, so here's hopin! I would love any advice you'd be down to share, and/or any positive vibes. thanks and happy travels!

Gatheringminds7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:34 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
I have towed cars before and it is not bad at all. The car / toad you choose is the most important piece of the puzzle. Due to transmission designs needing the engine running to lube the transmission you have limited choices if you want to flat tow. Tow dollies help widen your choices but they are a PITA to deal with. The weight of the toad is of some concern but not a deal breaker. My first bus had a 345 International gas motor and I towed a Toyoya FJ62 landcruiser affectionately referred to as Ruthie, the mule on gunsmoke that Festus rode. It was a load but it did it. I am now towing a Jeep Liberty 4x4 behind our Bluebird with an 8.3 Cummins, and I don't know it is back there most of the time. Ask more questions and provide more info and we will spew our knowledge and opinions out.
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:09 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
I have towed cars before and it is not bad at all. The car / toad you choose is the most important piece of the puzzle. Due to transmission designs needing the engine running to lube the transmission you have limited choices if you want to flat tow. Tow dollies help widen your choices but they are a PITA to deal with. The weight of the toad is of some concern but not a deal breaker. My first bus had a 345 International gas motor and I towed a Toyoya FJ62 landcruiser affectionately referred to as Ruthie, the mule on gunsmoke that Festus rode. It was a load but it did it. I am now towing a Jeep Liberty 4x4 behind our Bluebird with an 8.3 Cummins, and I don't know it is back there most of the time. Ask more questions and provide more info and we will spew our knowledge and opinions out.
Hi! Thank you for your reply on this thread too, i copied the first part of my other reply and added some at the end..."I have a 2011 prius, and from what I understand it can be towed by the 2 front wheels. I looked in the owners manual and it only says that it can NOT be towed with all 4 on the ground. Also on a prius chat, 2 people said they have towed it behind their RV. I'm double checking with the dealer next week when i'm back home for a couple days. I also found a couple people that have attached a hitch to their bus, this was on youtube, but there is a welder in my home town that works on random stuff like this, so I figured i'd give him a ring if i found a bus that will pull my car."
I'm curious as to why the dolly was a PITA? do you think I could load/unload the car alone? I found some youtubers that have done it alone, and I think i can do anything if i'm careful and intentional. im sure my coworkers would help me if needed but i'm hoping I can make it happen with just me. Also, love the gunsmoke reference! we all need a Ruthie in our lives lol and also love your pusher type bus, that boxy look is so fun! I was thinking about one like that but i've only seen them as the long busses. how long is yours?
Old 01-27-2021, 10:30 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
The PITA is having to find a place to park the dolly at home and abroad. The tow bar folds up on the back of the bus. If you go to a rv park that is not a pull through you have to unload the car, drop the dolly and push it in and then back the bus in. At 40 foot long you can't even see it to back it up. Think long truck short trailer. If the rv park has pull through spots it is great. I can load it better by myself than when moma helps.
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:39 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Ex-Anthropologist here. What and where do you dig? Welcome to the skoolie world, if you choose to stay and buy a bus.

Generally, what you can tow depends on your engine and transmission. A mid-sized bus in the 30' range like you're considering will often have the same engine and transmission as a full-size bus, and can tow more weight since there's less bus to push around. They do often have less-powerful engines (like the 5.9 Cummins and the T444E instead of the DT466e and 8.3 Cummins) which is something to consider.
Old 01-30-2021, 06:57 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Ex-Anthropologist here. What and where do you dig? Welcome to the skoolie world, if you choose to stay and buy a bus.

Generally, what you can tow depends on your engine and transmission. A mid-sized bus in the 30' range like you're considering will often have the same engine and transmission as a full-size bus, and can tow more weight since there's less bus to push around. They do often have less-powerful engines (like the 5.9 Cummins and the T444E instead of the DT466e and 8.3 Cummins) which is something to consider.
hi! thanks for replying! I work mostly in the midwest area, hoping to expand west and north, isnt that the dream lol What area were you workin in? and if you dont mind me askin: why are you an 'EX' archaeologist? I dropped it for about 6 years. I had a really tough time on my last dig where we excavated the bone bundles of a few babies and children, for the sole purpose of straightening a curvy road. I quit soon after that and worked other jobs for years. I just started back up last year, it's good to be in the dirt again, but no burials this time, focusing on survey work, which I'm grateful for.

So here's what I'm gathering from what youre sayin: the 8.3 cummins is better than the 5.9? and I have no idea what those other letters/numbers mean. so i googled it and it seems to be an engine, so the DT466e is better than the T444E? When I'm looking for a bus I've seen the cummins mentioned but not really anything with those numbers/letters combos. Thank you in advance for your kindness to this newb.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:04 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
The PITA is having to find a place to park the dolly at home and abroad. The tow bar folds up on the back of the bus. If you go to a rv park that is not a pull through you have to unload the car, drop the dolly and push it in and then back the bus in. At 40 foot long you can't even see it to back it up. Think long truck short trailer. If the rv park has pull through spots it is great. I can load it better by myself than when moma helps.
that was funny about doing it better alone than with help, i'm the same. i think there is less pressure doing some of these challenging things alone than with someone watching and "helping" lol
It's good to know that you are able to load/unload alone as well. It might take me a little longer trying to get situated to park but it's good to know it is possible.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:56 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatheringminds7 View Post
I'm hoping to go small, around 26ish ft, no more than 30. Is anyone else towing a car with a shorter bus/shuttle? Does anyone have any advice on understanding if this is even possible?
Like my size bus?

Mine has the Cummins 5.9L and I feel confident it would tow a car without a hiccup. A small car or Jeep, you probably wouldn't even notice except on the steepest of steep hills. Note these motors are found in Dodge RAM pickups also, and my old friend who worked with horses and towed BIG enclosed horse trailers, said it was known these motors were the best for that (but their trannies sucked and were unreliable).

These BlueBird TC1000s (usually) have the Allison AT545 tranny which is not so desirable for towing and highway use (although I drove mine across country at 65-75 MPH with it and no problems - but not towing a vehicle). They are fairly reliable.

You can swap the AT545 for an MT643, which is a better highway/towing tranny, and is also very reliable. I think that costs a few G$ (having it done professionally for you), but then you can get a nice rebuilt tranny right from the start, if cost is not prohibitive, and this size and interior space and durability seems better suited to your needs than a fiberglass shuttle van-cutout.

I put a bolt-to-frame "universal" tow-hitch bar on mine and towed a small food cart that was maybe 1/5 to 1/10 the weight of a small car, and it was completely unnoticeable in steering/handling/accelerating/slowing. But can't tell you about towing a car or Jeep personally.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 10:36 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatheringminds7 View Post
What area were you workin in? and if you dont mind me askin: why are you an 'EX' archaeologist?
Ex-Anthropologist, not a filthy toothbrush-wielding ditch-digger like yourself. My fieldwork was in India. I quit because of postmodernism, actually.

A skoolie seems like it would be an awesome way to travel for your work. I hope you get a bus and join us here.

Tags
help please, short bus, shuttle, tow, towing a car