Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 07:14 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Such a great thread...

Good empty nest plan! I had a vision of OP urban camping around their kids' college dorms. Freedom for whatever is the key...

We Californians are well aware of quirky, county by county, Tiny house/RV laws as well as nosey neighbors.

Funnily, I was thinking of NorCal "Burner" welding camps as an option for building out a conversion.

I think that the way the original post stated loosely , that "after a bunch of research, I settled on Skoolies and am happy to have found my tribe..." is indicative of the type of person, DIYer and the lot, so I didn't need the reassurance. I forget that HGTV is still recruiting dumbasses, lol...

I see the new skoolie nation as a 2.0 ofthe ol' FURTHER bus and "park it on the commune and let her rot but never before homeschooling a bunch of kids" to "Lets put fry grease in this thing and go watch our flatscreen anywhere we want"...I'm somewhere in there, I think its great, form and function...a Buddha you can hang out inside of...

But I still like to read the warnings of those who have gone through a conversion. For me it's that I've always wanted a big boy diesel to run WVO and this vintage oldgrowgth RW , unfinished chair-rail that Ive been storing for something special. And it's gotta be in a skoolie for some odd reason.

I don't know how or why we end up here but I trust its usually for a whole list of unique reasons.

specialbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:26 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialbus View Post
Good empty nest plan! I had a vision of OP urban camping around their kids' college dorms. Freedom for whatever is the key...

We Californians are well aware of quirky, county by county, Tiny house/RV laws as well as nosey neighbors.

Funnily, I was thinking of NorCal "Burner" welding camps as an option for building out a conversion.

I think that the way the original post stated loosely , that "after a bunch of research, I settled on Skoolies and am happy to have found my tribe..." is indicative of the type of person, DIYer and the lot, so I didn't need the reassurance. I forget that HGTV is still recruiting dumbasses, lol...

I see the new skoolie nation as a 2.0 ofthe ol' FURTHER bus and "park it on the commune and let her rot but never before homeschooling a bunch of kids" to "Lets put fry grease in this thing and go watch our flatscreen anywhere we want"...I'm somewhere in there, I think its great, form and function...a Buddha you can hang out inside of...

But I still like to read the warnings of those who have gone through a conversion. For me it's that I've always wanted a big boy diesel to run WVO and this vintage oldgrowgth RW , unfinished chair-rail that Ive been storing for something special. And it's gotta be in a skoolie for some odd reason.

I don't know how or why we end up here but I trust its usually for a whole list of unique reasons.
Hi friend. I’ve been in the burner community for about 7 years now. So hello fam. 🔥 I’m still weighing my pros and cons between a stealthier Sprinter van conversion and a short bus. I like that the short bus has a little more room for a compost toilet and shower s t up plus I’d be traveling with my 3 cats...so I need a little but more room. Thanks for your thoughts.
gypsyfiredance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:53 PM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

You're gonna have to do a vlog! 3 cats, omg...should be fun. Trap doors and corridors...i've been visualizing for one kitty. I like Jax Austins' atroturf roof idea...I think you and the cats need roof access. The sprinter holds alot of solar but not great for a roof deck. I'm trying to let go of the idea of stealth urban capabilities, its a tough decision...you're gonna be jealous of every shortbus you see forever!
specialbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:45 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

As you approach the construction of your tiny home make sure that whatever you decide to build will meet the local building restrictions. In CA, OR, and WA many of the building codes include earthquake survivability standards in addition to all of the normal plumbing, and electrical codes.

I would really hate to hear that you went to a lot of trouble, time, and expense only to have the local government paper pushers tell you that you can't do what you wanted to do.

I would also investigate whether or not your land will allow a bus parked on it. So many places put so many restrictions on the land that one has to wonder who actually owns the land.

I am fortunate to live in a rural county in WA state that has few restrictions. The biggest restrictions are you have to have a potable water source and an approved septic system installed before you can get any building permits.

The larger the piece of property the less hassles you will have in regards to setbacks from property lines, the easier it will be to locate the septic system, and more likely to find a convenient location for the well.

If the property is totally unimproved you could very easily spend $100K to put in a gravel driveway, a well, a septic system, and bringing in power. Those costs can be reduced greatly the more of the work is done by you and not hired out. The purchase of a $15K excavator or backhoe may sound like an extravagance but if you learn to operate it well enough to cut in your driveway, install your septic system, dig the trench for your electric service, and prepare your foundation sight you could easily save $50K. With the added bonus of selling it later for about what you paid for it.

In regards to your bus, if you have the space in a garage or a basement, lay out on the floor your bus floor plan. Use cardboard to mockup cabinetry, actual beds and sofas, and other visual aids to discover how small you think you can go. Total floor space 7'x15' is pretty tiny. Even 7'x20' isn't all that large. The original purchase price of used buses is not that different between a Type 'A' mini-bus on a van cut-away chassis and a full size 40' Type 'D' rear engine bus. Fuel use and other costs of operation are also not that different--small buses have less expensive parts and pieces that wear out much faster and more often than large buses. Once you get the hang of it driving a full size bus is usually easier to drive than a mini-bus and the ride is usually smoother and less choppy.

It is your choice so there is not any one right or wrong answer except the one that fits your needs and desire. My only real advice is think through what it is you want to do with your bus. How you plan to use it and where you are going to be taking your bus will have the greatest impact on what will work the best for you.

Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#newbie