Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2018, 04:28 PM   #1

Smile Turning Dreaming into Doing!

Hello y'all! My name is Kate! My husband, Jerry, and I , along with our FOUR children are seriously looking to make the leap to skoolie LIVING! We have already began doing a little research and reading but can't wait to get on here and get to know so many and hear how they have made this work into their lifestyle! I read ahead on some posts and saw these bullets so I grabbed them to fill out and hopefully give a little insight as to what our needs are to better get your support!

What do you want to do with your bus? For us we want to make it full-time living!
Where do you want to go with your bus? This we are not completely sure about as we love the idea of being able to take the kids on trips but we would really like to find a state that we call "home".
Will you aim for RV parks and friends with extension cords? Or will you be boondocking (totally self-contained)? I know we really like the idea of being more self contained! Even if we could hook up I think we like knowing we have the back up! ;)
What sort of terrain will you be expecting? Requirements for flat land are different than those for mountains. And rough, rutted and rocky back roads suggest a different type of bus than paved roads. I don't imagine us living in the mountains...again we haven't a clue where we are planting our roots as of now and this topic will sure make for a great conversation between the two of us as it sounds like that is necessary for us to plan this.
How fast do you drive? LOL! Well! Our interstate here is 70, so I think it would be nice if we could at least do the speed limit... lol
How much time do you want to spend in your bus? Full-time living
What climate will you be in? We currently live in KY! So we have hot summers & cold winters.
How many people will you be hosting? 6 people, 2 adults, 4 children- Ages 9,7,3,1
How good are you at construction? Framing? Finish? Electrical? Plumbing? My father is a retired contractor, so, DIY wont be to much of an issue for us. My husband works in propane, as in propane parts and conversion.
How good are you at fixing cars? Diesels? My husband is pretty handy, as far as diesels ...not a clue what kinda skillz he has here. LOL
How much money do you have to spend for the bus? For the conversion? At this moment, not a lot. We are still in the planning stage and trying to figure out how much we DO need.
Where do you live? Kentucky
How far can you travel to check out a bus? To pick up a bus? Im not sure! lol
How soon do you need a working conversion? We are hoping to make this happen within the next couple years. We don't want to rush this.

I hope this information is helpful ! Thank you so much for reading along, its means a lot!

ThompsonEverlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #2

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: IS3600
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 71
Hi! We have 3 kids (7, 11 and almost 13) and just bought our bus. We have owned and lived in travel trailers in the past but are finally getting around to converting a bus. I see you're looking to find a new state to relocate to once you get a bus. We did this almost 4 years ago with our travel trailer and we ended up choosing Missouri. There's a lot to consider in relocating states. Good luck in your search!
gypsymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:56 PM   #3

Do you mind me asking why you choose Missouri? Was there specific factors that won you over? We currently home school our 4, so I had truly debated looking into states that are not as strict as KY when it comes to HS so that its one less thing for us to have to "answer to" and deal with. But I would gladly take any more tips and information to help us make informative decisions.
ThompsonEverlasting is offline   Reply With Quote