Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #1

Vintage/Old Skoolies Advice Needed

Hello everyone! I’ve decided to take on a new project and fix an old school bus that has been handed down from my family, it’s been in the family since the 80s, I’m looking for some general information... the bus is an early 50’s Dodge Short Bus.... the bus has already been converted to an RV I believe sometime in the late 60s-70s?? (Based on the styling of interior)The plate I’ve found on the passenger side exterior near the entry door says “Industrial Steel Body Works, Jacksonville Texas” (anyone have information on this company?) it has the model number and serial number on that plate as well, I know some of these buses were converted by companies like Wayne etc was this bus converted by a company based on that plate I’ve found? ... the engine is a V8 Pontiac Strato-Streak, engine doesn’t run and hasn’t ran in over 20yrs, transmission is a manual 4spd..... the bus definitely needs work... maybe there’s a reasonable priced used engine I can swap in? Eventually it would be nice to have a 5.9 Cummins but that requires a lot of $ as well as fabrication, so for now I’m wanting to learn the history of the bus as well as figure a game plan to get the current engine running or have some options for used engines to get swapped in without a lot of fabrication. Any advice/information would be appreciated. Thanks and sorry for not having pics I’ll be heading back to my family’s place in several weeks and I’ll update as I get pics and hopefully some progress done

Eurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
If switching from a gas engine set up to a diesel setup the 5.9 would be nowhere near the top of the list of available options I would choose.

No pics yet, but you can use the UserCP and fill out your profile so we can better assist you in answering your questions.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:54 PM   #3

Thanks for the fast response, I’m located in the South West part of the USA, I’m using tapatalk phone app so I’m not sure how to update my profile..... again any history information or also any easy engine swaps please educate me thanks
Old 07-18-2018, 06:14 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
The 5.9 cummins is a great engine and well suited to a small bus. However it s likely that it may be a bit long to fit between the firewall and radiator. I have had several and still have a few in trucks including a Gradall, and have had very good luck with them.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
The 5.9 cummins is a great engine and well suited to a small bus. However it s likely that it may be a bit long to fit between the firewall and radiator. I have had several and still have a few in trucks including a Gradall, and have had very good luck with them.
Never said it was a bad engine. If you were doing a swap and needed a new motor, would the 5.9 be your first choice if it wasn't what was in it?
Old 07-18-2018, 06:30 PM   #6

You guys are awesome with the replies!! Thanks.... as for the future with a diesel swap and whatnot that’d be great to get advice on that later when I’m ready for it, right now I’m only looking at easy engine swaps that won’t cost a lot of $$, my plan as of right now is to attempt to repair the 287 and get that running, but if someone has any easy engine swaps that I can do instead, it might save me time... I’m really wanting to get the bus up and running/driving ASAP so I can get the other work done on it, then later, maybe next summer do an engine swap for a diesel but at least I can drive it and work on it over the winter, if I don’t get it running before winter I’ll have to wait for a while after to be able to get to it again
Old 07-18-2018, 06:44 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Since it's been in the family and you want to keep it, as opposed to getting a bus to use for whatever purpose you have planned, I would rebuild or fix the stock engine. I'm sure that would be WAY cheaper than doing a full diesel swap. Who knows, it might be something minor to get the old motor running.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:14 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Actually yes. Let me explain. My bus has not run in years and when I got it I did not know if the engine was good or not. So I had it in my mind to convert to the 5.9 if need be. Similer power to the original engine, and I like them as well

As it turns out the engine is free(not stuck) has good compression, and with the oil pan off I can see the cylinder walls and they still have the cross hatching from honing on them. The odometer says 16,500 miles. I had wondered if that was real or over one or more times. My bus was converted when new, so never was a school bus.Based on engine condition I believe it is original miles.

So long way of saying I am sticking with the original engine. Besides I like international gas engines, have had a few of them and they served me well.

I do think you are correct in seeing what his engine needs, it could well be minor to get it running.

Things to think about on the engine the bus has, Is it a commen engine, or an oddball? once running unless it needs major repairs how does it do in terms of power. How is the gearing 45 tops? or great, 70 all day with plenty of power? This will give some better idea of direction to go.

Cheap and easy swap, small bock chevy.... Not what I would do but if you will not put many miles on it it could work out well.

A 1950's hemi....would be right at home in it. And there is a truck version of the Hemi. Not sure but think they are about 330 cubic inches
Old 07-18-2018, 07:17 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

I am assuming the pontiac engine is not original? Would be odd in a Dodge
Old 07-18-2018, 09:11 PM   #10

Yea I don’t know much about the bus other than it was my grandfathers who’s long passed R.I.P.... the engine in it currently is a V8 Strato Streak with a Carter Carburetor which is actually the only pic I do have of the bus is the dirty valve cover haha, I’m not sure what Cubic Inch exactly it is, from my knowledge the Strato Streak came out for 3 years, and 3 different displacements.... I hear these engines are oddballs and can cost a decent penny to rebuild? And I would assume it’s not the original engine, I can see the yellow original paint and school bus writing on the top coming through the cheap aftermarket paint job so I feel confident it was a school bus prior to being converted to rv.... my guess is it’s the 287 Pontiac but I guess it could be the possible other 2 displacements the Strato Streak came in... anyone know an easy way to determine engine displacement from the early Pontiac engines?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8750.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	235.3 KB
ID:	24266
Old 07-18-2018, 09:20 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Put some Marvel Mystery oil down each cylinder while you ponder things.Keep the engine and up grade to a automatic. Like a Turbo 350 or 400 GM.

1998 Ford B700 Thomas body 65 passenger. 5.9 Cummins 12 valve with MT643 Transmission 123,000 miles.
Versatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 11:00 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
If it is post war then the frame should easily accommodate a 5.9. That would be my personal choice as they can easily be turned up to 300 hp with tons more torque than any gasser.

But if wanting to stay with gasoline, your basic Chevy 350 would make for an easy transplant with lots of power, performance & trans options available just about anywhere in the world.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
If it is post war then the frame should easily accommodate a 5.9. That would be my personal choice as they can easily be turned up to 300 hp with tons more torque than any gasser.

But if wanting to stay with gasoline, your basic Chevy 350 would make for an easy transplant with lots of power, performance & trans options available just about anywhere in the world.

Well I definitely would like to do the 5.9 Cummins in the future but it will take me a while before I have the money for that, the problem with the Chevy 350 is I’m thinking it’ll be a gas guzzler and on top of that ill be spending quite some time to swap the 350 in since I don’t think it’ll just bolt right up, but I’m not sure the Pontiac 287 will be any better for fuel economy.... right now I’m going to attempt to get the Pontiac engine running due to funds and time since the bus doesn’t run and it’s very far from civilization right now, I would like to get it running and in a year or two do a diesel swap..... any tips on getting this old pontiac engine up and running?
Old 07-19-2018, 12:05 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
a mechanical 12 valve 6BT would be my choice.. get a good one, not one of the ill fated 53 blocks.. fix the little issues.. mate it to an allison transmission and run it.. not sure why there are so many 5.9 hates here but its a SOLID reliable engine with LOTS of community support.. and is all mechanical vs electronic..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:24 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

tips to get it running,

1.drain oil, put fresh but cheap stuff in for now.
2.pull distributor out, note which way the rotor is faceing. Use drill to turn oil pump to lube engine and check to see it does in fact get oil pressure.
3. while distributor is out clean, or replace points, re install
4. fuel system, this could be a mess, I would be inclined to suck fuel from a fresh gas can rather then the fuel tank. It would be good to take the top off the carb clean out any dried up fuel put a little fresh fuel in the fuel bowl put back together. IF you have a known to be good carb that will fit all the better.
5. take out spark plugs, spray oil in cylinders. spin engine over a few times. this is a good time to check and see if you have any spark , if all seems ok at this point put plugs back in.
6. check to see if there is coolant, for now topping off with water is fine.
7. the fuel pump may or may not work, maybe a cheap low pressure electric fuel pump might be a good choice just to get things going.
8. start it

This is of course a short list of the basics. Have fun hope it runs