Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2020, 11:31 PM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
The Gulf Stream is like a tide pushing a boat south on the west coast.
Going uphill back north is a major task, sailboats often sail northwest and then north east to avoid going against it.
Are you not getting the idea here..A crewless cargo boat needs nothing but steerage and some motive power and communications electronics, it is a one-trip boat that just needs to float and steer. Plenty of cheap boats that float and steer but are inhabitable.

Now of course this is not a simple easy project, it would need plenty of testing to make sure it would work, and certainly if your only goal is moving your stuff, easier ways to do it. Doing the impossible is just something that hasn't been done yet.
BTW, I built the worlds first electric powered jetski.
They have autonomous sailboats already, just not carrying cargo.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-t...sses-atlantic/

BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 01:42 AM   #22
Bus Nut

BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 09:13 AM   #23
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 Handy
Engine: Cummins 24 valve 5.9
Rated Cap: 27 handicap
We live in st Petersburg and just bought a bus in decent condition for $4500. That being said, most all buses need tires since scheduled fleet maintenance doesn't put tires on bus that is going to be retired. Also, don't think they are ok because there is meat on them, in hot states tires dry rot before the tread is gone. Check the code on tires and you will find they are very old. So you will need 2-3k for tires almost immediately.
We got our bus at a truck/ bus dealer in Orlando called Garcia Truck and Bus. Small place, very little English the woman in office is fluent enough and converses with the owner on phone to negotiate. Sounds hinky but it was really was ok. They have been there for decades. They made good on couple of minor things we wanted addressed.
Our bus came from Nevada, so I assume they get from auctions. Ours was 2003 bluebird tc2000 flat front handicap 30ft in good running condition with 168k miles on it.

Blue days are gone, nothing but Blue Skies from now on...
Ms Blue Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 11:55 AM   #24
Almost There

Coachwork: Bluebird 35 shuttle cng
Engine: John deere
Rated Cap: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
The Gulf Stream is like a tide pushing a boat south on the west coast.
Going uphill back north is a major task, sailboats often sail northwest and then north east to avoid going against it.
Are you not getting the idea here..A crewless cargo boat needs nothing but steerage and some motive power and communications electronics, it is a one-trip boat that just needs to float and steer. Plenty of cheap boats that float and steer but are inhabitable.

Now of course this is not a simple easy project, it would need plenty of testing to make sure it would work, and certainly if your only goal is moving your stuff, easier ways to do it. Doing the impossible is just something that hasn't been done yet.
BTW, I built the worlds first electric powered jetski.
They have autonomous sailboats already, just not carrying cargo.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-t...sses-atlantic/

ok i get it now. i thought downhill was just a joke based on the rotation of the earth and the oblate spheroid shape of the earth causing greater rotational velocity at the equator. sometimes i over think things.
demoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:13 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

very true senor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
im sure I could build the renote control and monitor system for such a boat.. that could be a fun as hell project!

just have to have deep pockets for the SAT data service you will need to remotely run the boat

seems might be easier to put a 40 ft high cube on a train..
then turn the high cube into a house.. although if you buy the right bus then you could get $$ for the engine / trans once you arrived in south america and parked the bus for good
B4 I started considering a bus for transport there, I had already considered a bus for housing there, without the engine, tranny, etc that would no longer be needed and could make the cost to buy much less.
hatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24000 lbs

yeah.. umm no

yes am fully aware of the ships breaking ground like autonomous trucking

the average bloke just cobbing up a remote control sailboat delivery system from a "free boat" though is just not happening

cost more than worth
and there would likely be legality issues

I mean I could build my own aeroplane in the yard...

good luck flying it though
RolesvilleMarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:18 AM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

yes please. mine is hott-rodd@hotmail.com. my name is Rodd
Old 08-25-2020, 10:23 AM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

thanks for the heads up. years ago my parents bought land in Nova Scotia. as I remember they had to have the Can. border folks put a lock on truck back door, to opened ONLY by local government workers so they knew what was being brought in, etc. I've got a LOT of work B4 I make a decision either way.