Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2019, 05:53 PM   #1

Welcome to Project Kyna!

Hello Skoolie.net!

My name's Kelsey. My partner and I have set the goal for ourselves to buy and build/convert a Gilig LowFloor into our new home before we both turn 40!

This is the biggest project we've taken on together, we have a lot to learn, and even more problems to solve.

I hope you can be patient with us, cause we'll probably have a lot of questions for this awesome community.

Thanks a bunch for being around!

kelseyhuksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 06:54 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Howdy all y'all!
Awesome to have a plan, tho you've set yourself a tough row to hoe.
Gilligs are highly desirable busses, so finding a pre-'94 in your price range for yourselves may be tantamount to a Grail Quest.
Yea verily sally forth, and welcome to the asylum!
Old 07-27-2019, 12:52 PM   #3

Are the pre-94 ones superior than newer ones? I've found some early 2000s models that were pretty good matches for us, though they were the shorter wheelbases, and we want the longer one.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:58 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseyhuksy View Post
Are the pre-94 ones superior than newer ones? I've found some early 2000s models that were pretty good matches for us, though they were the shorter wheelbases, and we want the longer one.
I would opt for the newest deal you can. Up to 2004, before the installed all the mandatory EPA crap on them. The older they are, the more wear and tear there will be.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:37 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Size queens, I hear ya... [emoji57]
It's a crap shoot either way, buying a second-, or more-, hand bus.
I mentioned looking for a pre-emissions model because the later thus-modified engines run less well (from a non-environmental perspective), they also break down more readily and cost mucho mas dinero to repairo.
By all means not meant to utterly limit you to that era, my intent is to broaden your awareness, so's to make an informed decision. Most who are new to Skool are unaware of those potentially costly repercussions 'down the road...'
Y'all're fortunate to be in a part of the world where some truly awesome busses may be readily had.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:27 PM   #6
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3L
When the OP said 'low floor' I think they are looking for a 40' city bus. Could be wrong.
Old 07-29-2019, 03:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
When the OP said 'low floor' I think they are looking for a 40' city bus. Could be wrong.

Yup! that's correct! Basically this one:

https://nwbus.com/inventory/transit-...it-bus-t90538/

But the model with an extra window between the front and rear doors.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:03 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
remember that previous city busses have often been run hard.. so if you can find service records of when its last over-haul was done that helps greatly.. many city busses have their drivetrains overhauled a couple times throughout their lifetime.. here in my city every bus runs continuously for about 20 hours.. some cities they run 24/7..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 04:22 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelseyhuksy View Post
Hello Skoolie.net!

My name's Kelsey. My partner and I have set the goal for ourselves to buy and build/convert a Gilig LowFloor into our new home before we both turn 40!

This is the biggest project we've taken on together, we have a lot to learn, and even more problems to solve.

I hope you can be patient with us, cause we'll probably have a lot of questions for this awesome community.

Thanks a bunch for being around!
Good luck! Lots of good and helpful members on this forum... Hazmat is very correct. the Gillig is a tall order.. its like finding 60's Crown. They are out there but rare.. Good luck
Old 07-29-2019, 04:31 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyInTN View Post
Good luck! Lots of good and helpful members on this forum... Hazmat is very correct. the Gillig is a tall order.. its like finding 60's Crown. They are out there but rare.. Good luck
Thanx for the pimpage! [emoji111]
Old 07-29-2019, 04:58 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
Thanx for the pimpage! [emoji111]
I do what I can!
Old 07-29-2019, 05:10 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
remember that previous city busses have often been run hard.. so if you can find service records of when its last over-haul was done that helps greatly.. many city busses have their drivetrains overhauled a couple times throughout their lifetime.. here in my city every bus runs continuously for about 20 hours.. some cities they run 24/7..

-Christopher

We certainly will be making sure our bus has as much documentation as possible. One thing we have going for us is the plan to do a full tear-out of all mechanical (engine, transmission, suspension) and electrical so we can do a full rebuild to my partner's extremely demanding standards. I mean, like, they want to run all new wires for everything! Fabricating wiring harnesses for the whole bus from scratch. This also means tearing the engine down to the block and rebuilding. I'm thinking that we should probably just take it to an engine servicer for that instead of trying to do it all ourselves. There's only so many hours in a day!

We're looking forward to the challenge.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:26 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

I'm thinking, "challenge," isn't nearly a large enough word...
Old 07-29-2019, 06:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
I'm thinking, "challenge," isn't nearly a large enough word...
Yeah, but if I call it "Insanity." it gets too overwhelming to think about!
Old 07-29-2019, 06:45 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Take your 'scripts, drink a lot of water, and try not to think too hard on it.
Ooo, Look! A squirrel...
Old 07-31-2019, 03:01 PM   #16

Question Where to start? (asking for build location recommendations)

One of the biggest hurdles to clear is finding space for a 40' vehicle that has enough power for us to bring our tools to get this thing built. My partner wants to buy some land of our own, and I'm not opposed to the idea, since I want to keep a home parking area we don't have to be worried about being run off off. We live in the Seattle, WA area, and would welcome recommendations for build spaces, though, since my googling skills have decided to fail me today.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:36 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Kelsey;

A word of warning about those buses.

I drove one of them when I was living in Houston during my training. Unless you guys are planning on parking it and using it as a tiny home, I would avoid them at all costs. They are VERY expensive to own and run. In addition, they have a VERY hard ride. You will feel every bump, let alone pot-hole, when driving those things. Houston dumped them a while back, scrapped them, for many good reasons. We drove one while in training just for the experience of what a full day driving felt like in the span of less than an hour.

I admire your willingness to take on such a project. However, you guys may be very well disappointed in the ability to drive for any time without feeling like you've been in a boxing match, kidney punched, and lost by a KO.

If you guys read the different threads on the site there are very few (if any) builders using this platform for a bunch of good reasons. Besides the ride, they have very low ground clearance and cannot go off-road. In a heavy downpour the intake can suck up water and create hydrostatic lock in the engine. LOTS of modifications will be required to make it drivable in adverse weather conditions. I remember a bunch of these buses were totaled due to flooding in five inches of water in Houston back in the 2000's. All were scrapped. They were less than 10 years old and cost the city $500,000 each more-or-less when new.

I just want you guys to approach this as an eyes-wide-open awareness these buses are not the easiest to convert or to drive comfortably.

If you do find one and still believe in your plan, best of luck!

M
Old 07-31-2019, 04:10 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Coachwork: American Cargo 14'L x 7'8"W x 7'H Box
Chassis: Ford E350 Cutaway
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 11500 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031A1 View Post
Kelsey;

A word of warning about those buses.

I drove one of them when I was living in Houston during my training. Unless you guys are planning on parking it and using it as a tiny home, I would avoid them at all costs. They are VERY expensive to own and run. In addition, they have a VERY hard ride. You will feel every bump, let alone pot-hole, when driving those things. Houston dumped them a while back, scrapped them, for many good reasons. We drove one while in training just for the experience of what a full day driving felt like in the span of less than an hour.

I admire your willingness to take on such a project. However, you guys may be very well disappointed in the ability to drive for any time without feeling like you've been in a boxing match, kidney punched, and lost by a KO.

If you guys read the different threads on the site there are very few (if any) builders using this platform for a bunch of good reasons. Besides the ride, they have very low ground clearance and cannot go off-road. In a heavy downpour the intake can suck up water and create hydrostatic lock in the engine. LOTS of modifications will be required to make it drivable in adverse weather conditions. I remember a bunch of these buses were totaled due to flooding in five inches of water in Houston back in the 2000's. All were scrapped. They were less than 10 years old and cost the city $500,000 each more-or-less when new.

I just want you guys to approach this as an eyes-wide-open awareness these buses are not the easiest to convert or to drive comfortably.

If you do find one and still believe in your plan, best of luck!

M
What specific model and year are you referring to?
alpine44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 04:26 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 3208 CAT/MT643 tranny
Rated Cap: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine44 View Post
What specific model and year are you referring to?
I couldn't tell the year, but it looks like this:

Different paint scheme, but otherwise identical.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:36 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

So yours is, "Not in service," too..?