Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2017, 02:46 PM   #1

West coast best coast :)

Hello knowledgeable wonders of the schoolie world. Me and my boyfriend are looking to buy our first bus in Vancouver BC. What I want to know is if there are rules for parking the bus as you do the conversion, if it's possible to live in the city of Vancouver with one and the process of insurance. We hope to get our hands on a Ford e450 with the 7.3. Currently we are working in the Caribbean but will be coming home in September. The plan is to do up the bus live and work for about a year in bc then drove to South America! Please any info or advice!

Moonbeam604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
the first thing to do is to dive into old threads and learn as much as possible about each topic.
When I first started, I created a list and tried to read about each item on it. now, i just keep up with recent threads.
gl
Old 07-13-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:15 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by oricha1984 View Post
the first thing to do is to dive into old threads and learn as much as possible about each topic.
When I first started, I created a list and tried to read about each item on it. now, i just keep up with recent threads.
gl
Good advice.

If you are thinking of parking it in the street the news is not good: Large vehicles | City of Vancouver

If on private property then you may want to check with the local zoning office.

I think we have some other members here are in Vancouver. Maybe they will chime in?

I would also suggest that you take advantage of the sites search function as well as Google.

Good luck!
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:13 PM   #5
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Yikes.

Quote:
-Not primarily designed to move people

-Seats 10 or more passengers
Sorta have you either way...
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 04:06 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Depending on the year, that'll either be the Powerstroke or the IDI. The IDI was almost always non-turbo and is a completely different engine than the Powerstroke. Both were Navistar motors. The Powerstroke was also known as the T444E.

IDI: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern..._Harvester_IDI
T444E: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navistar_T444E_engine

Both are great motors!

Can't help you on the parking thing though, I know very little about Vancouver that I didn't learn from South Park or Strange Brew.
brokedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 03:44 PM   #7

Did you end up making the trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbeam604 View Post
Hello knowledgeable wonders of the schoolie world. Me and my boyfriend are looking to buy our first bus in Vancouver BC. What I want to know is if there are rules for parking the bus as you do the conversion, if it's possible to live in the city of Vancouver with one and the process of insurance. We hope to get our hands on a Ford e450 with the 7.3. Currently we are working in the Caribbean but will be coming home in September. The plan is to do up the bus live and work for about a year in bc then drove to South America! Please any info or advice!
Hey, my girlfriend and I want to make the same trip in a skoolie but we are still in the research phase. Did you end up completing the trip? We are yet to come across someone with any first hand experience on driving a skoolie to South America, shipping a skoolie around the Darien gap, gas vs diesel, the availability of gas and diesel when you reach SA. If you have completed the trip or have any insight on any of these topics please let me know!

Thanks
Knott89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e450, friends, insurance, newbies, vancouver