Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2017, 04:45 PM   #1

Wewbie Trying to find a bus in CA

Hey guys hows it going?
So long story short which I am sure is a really common story, My wife and myself have been infatuated with the idea of buying a school bus and hitting the road with our family for the last couple years and this year is seeming realistically possible. We live in Southern CA and I have been having a hard time trying to find anything online that is reasonable within our budget. So I was wondering if someone could possibly point me in a better direction on where to hunt? Would it be better to look in Nevada and Arizona?

Thank you!

Steve

and apparently I can't spell newbie.. lol

Warmbeer_333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You have to be careful of buying a bus that meets CA pollution standards.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:48 PM   #3

I have seen several buses in California and all of them require an out of state buyers. The emissions requirements in California are the hardest to comply with and very expensive. There may be a grandfather clause on an older bus, I would contact the state and see what hoops you may have to jump through. I wish you the best of luck. Please let me know what you find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RobHouTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 08:28 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas / international
Chassis: International
Engine: Dt 360/ spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 42
I bought my bus last year in Lancaster CA.your probly not gona find one just retired or being auctioned off as California has strict laws about commercial vehicles.i t seems most all the good old ones were scraped.similar new law in Oregon I hear.try looking on craigslist.use different search criteria.diesel bus,blue bird,thomas bus,skoolie,short bus,international bus,ect.just my thought first thing in the morning.good luck
SolomonEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:41 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Hello and Welcome!! I'm currently working on getting a SoCal skoolie. I agree with everyone above but since the bus I found was in California I had to try. So it is not impossible to get registered in California, you just have to do a lot of leg work and don't take no from the DMV.

I'm currently halfway through the process. I'll do a write-up on what you'll need to do once I get my bus done.
LincolnEcho is offline   Reply With Quote