Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2018, 01:32 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Whirlwind of a weekend!!

Hi All

So got a wild hair and hit the road this weekend. Came home with a shorty

I've been lurking on here for sometime, reading build posts, researching and day dreaming about a bus for my adventures.

It started on Wed when a CL ad popped up in my RSS feed. Logistics would be rough, but I could pull it off I told myself.

Friday night watched my oldest sons football game in Redding, CA (3.5 hour drive north from Reno). The smoke in Redding was still pretty bad from forest fires, but much better than last week they told me. Thank goodness for firefighters.

Got home sometime after midnight, took a cat nap and then hit the road on the dual sport, to check on a shorty in San Diego. Made it to Hesperia, CA after a long day of riding. 400+ mi of slab on a dual sport makes for a sore back. Found this big ol Joshua tree just before sunset.

Got up early again and hit the slab for another ~150 miles to San Diego, a stones throw from the border. The guy ends up having a whole yard of buses so I spent 3 hours climbing around them until I found the one.

2003 E450 cutaway with the 7.3 powerstroke. Only 169,000 miles and the interior and exterior were very clean. I checked her over the best I knew how couldn't find any major issues (i'm not a diesel mech, but do wrench on dirt bikes a bit) or tell tale signs. Fired it up took it for a test drive, pulled good, tranny felt strong.....so I loaded the bike in the back and set out for home.

Made it home by 3am this morning and made it to work. Total miles driven since Fri afternoon 1,650.

A huge to everyone on here for the info and inspiration. Really excited to get started with the build.

2planker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:00 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Congrats on the new bus. It looks like a winner. I've done a few road trips like that and was always glad I had a job to come home to----to rest up! Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:23 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome,

That is a great looking shorty. We look forward to seeing your build.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote