Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2022, 05:12 PM   #1

Smile Wyoming living

Just moved to jackson wyoming but then my Ole girl blew her transmission so I'm here for a while,looking for for sale gutted schoolie project,35-40', would love a dt466 engine more benefits imo,I'm almost 50 so I'm just living a dream ,widower and disabled but I still can turn a wrench ,just wondering what is out there for sale ,not looking for anything fancy just a running,clean project ,any help will be appreciated.

Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:31 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
facebook

facebook market place and craigslist

i can find buses all day long

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 05:45 PM   #3

Cool Facebook ,craigslist

What prices should I looking at?just have a temp 9_5 so a decent price estimate would help
Old 07-03-2022, 11:39 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
here is an example

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...d-766edb2bc19b

This is $4,000

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:04 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
wyoming, oregon, South dakota, idaho.. some of the BEST busses come from there.. if they were east of the mountains its dry and they sand / plow more in winter than they do salt.. coastal oregon / WA can net rusty sea-water busses..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:05 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Just moved to jackson wyoming but then my Ole girl blew her transmission so I'm here for a while,looking for for sale gutted schoolie project,35-40', would love a dt466 engine more benefits imo,I'm almost 50 so I'm just living a dream ,widower and disabled but I still can turn a wrench ,just wondering what is out there for sale ,not looking for anything fancy just a running,clean project ,any help will be appreciated.

a blown transmission and you throw the bus away? put in a new transmission..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:39 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
a blown transmission and you throw the bus away? Put in a new transmission..

^^^^^^^^^^
this
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:48 PM   #8

Was stealth living in a 06 Pontiac gp, bus is my new. DDream,DREAM, in jackson hole wy, wyoming stuck for a bit,tyranny in jackson for a 06 grand prix is 5800 installed,and the car has 251000 miles on all drive train ,engine tranny,tyranny, so a bus is better,
Old 07-04-2022, 08:03 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?f...7&acctid=22260

fresh rebuild on 643
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:33 PM   #10

OK I'm confused,why do I need a "bus" transmission when I need a automobile transmission,a 4t65e front wheel drive transmission ,for a 2006 Pontiac grand prix non supercharged ,,a new vehicle aka skoolie is my new dream now
Old 07-04-2022, 10:59 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Not far from you, about two hours. Public Surplus is auctioning two nice Bluebirds:
Idaho Falls - Bonneville Joint School District
One bus in 'good' condition, one 'fair'
8 days until auction
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:32 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
I can understand wanting a bus and having that dream but its a bit of a luxury. 2 of us lived full time in a 36' bus and it was actually more room than we really needed. Its a bit cumbersome and we definitely needed another car to get around, so you'd want to factor that it. Its not easy or practical to take the bus every time you need to get food or do laundry.
If you're planning on stealth, forget about it. Buses stick out like a sore thumb, are not easy to find parking for (unless you're on public land out west) and aren't always welcome by locals. I've not even gotten into the cost of converting!
If I were in your shoes, stepping up from stealth living in a car, I'd be thinking of a van or a small motorhome. Lots more nimble and easier to stealth camp. A lot easier to take into town for errands without needing a second car. Much cheaper to fit out for living. The mechanical work is likely much cheaper too....everything on a bus is WAY more expensive.
If you haven't researched van living, there's lots of great youtubes out there with different setups and they range from luxury to frugal but seem to offer enough comfort for one person.
Old 07-05-2022, 12:31 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird Mini-Bird 24'
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: Chevy 6.2L Diesel
If you're looking for stealth, can't go wrong with a cargo van, even some of the newer taller things like I've seen from Nissan, BMW, Ford, and so on. Bolt on a pipe rack or something and maybe even an 8-12" storage 'pipe' on top and no one will even look twice at you unless they can see some light or something from the inside.

Buses ***STICK OUT*** and aren't always welcomed by locals. Not to mention that many/most RV parks/campgrounds won't even let you stay, unless it's some kind of fully restored/pimped-out 1960's or early Class A-style rig. And even then, they'll sometimes have problems with it.
Albatross is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
looking to buy, project bus