Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2022, 07:49 PM   #1

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat 3126
Yet another noob!

Hello all,
I've been lurking for a while with the dream of getting a bus and am finally getting around to introducing myself. My family had a popup camper that had wood rot issues. With the rot issues and my loathing for the raising mechanism, it was finally time to get rid of it. When returning from our last camping trip, we found ourselves looking at every bus that passed. But it didn't stop there... So it was decided to get serious and start the research.

I have found a few that I tried bidding on and another that I didn't have time to go get. But I have recently come across a 1995 TC2000 with 90k miles with the 5.9 Cummins that I hope to be looking at this weekend. It has been partially converted to a basic camper. I believe I've read some good things about these rigs. Our goal is road trips and camping. Is there anything specific I should be looking out for on this rig?

Joe

Wirechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 12:52 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
I have a 1994 tc 2000

So, my little 26’ bus does everything it is supposed to do. But not what I want it to do. This thing is 55-60mph bus. That is with my foot on the floor. I knew this before I purchased it. Go read about air brakes now. If you spend an hour….. I don’t think you spent enough time. Make certain you know what you are looking for. Ask them not to start this thing before you get there so you can see how it starts cold. Pretty uncommon for a bus to have less than 200,000 miles. Verify if you can. Service records, if you can. You can can telephone me and talk if you want. Seven eight five too zero seven seventy six hundred.

William
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 02:18 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: 85505
Engine: Cat 3126B 210 hp Allison mt643 transmission
Rated Cap: 78 passengers
first bit of advice when looking it over be business minded. not to say that you cant go in with your heart but make sure the business side is doing its job. with skoolies you have to be pretty much a mechanic, plumber, electrician, general contractor, and engineer when working on them as a DIY. That being said though inspect everything the same as you would a car the wheels engine body interior etc. obviously test drive it a bit. look at the interior the same as you would look at a possible place to live. go to your states dmv and find out what you would need to register and drive it. as for insurance google rv insurance and see if you can get a quote and all. My wife and I just came across one for ours called Roamly. all that being said its a matter of being realistic as to what you are willing to deal with and pay for.
Justinb.jackson903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 10:17 AM   #4

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat 3126
Thank you both for the information!

magnakansas, the max speed is good to know. I may want to look for something different. I'd like to do 65mph on the highway. I have read some about air brakes, but have to drive a vehicle with them. I may give you a call today.

Justinb, the 'business mind' advice is always a welcome reminder. I should make a checklist. My insurance accepts skoolies. They already had several clients at this office (State Farm). This bus is a 5 hour drive from me. Having only ridden on busses, I'm thinking of waiting and look at some that are closer to get a better idea what to look for.
Wirechild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 10:38 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Chassis: 85505
Engine: Cat 3126B 210 hp Allison mt643 transmission
Rated Cap: 78 passengers
It's no problem at all. Yeah waiting doesn't cost anything. Licensing definitely something to look at. Like with my 38ft bus here in Illinois I need a class b non cdl because of how the laws are here. Either way though good luck.
Justinb.jackson903 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Hey Hey | Newbie! »