Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2015, 09:49 AM   #1

Year: 1992
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cummins
3 to choose from

Hi! We are ready to buy our bus. We have 3 buses we are looking at and wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on them or specific questions I should ask. I've been reading a ton but still feel under educated on the mechanicals of a school bus. Since we are looking for something we can stay in full time for at least a year, a well running bus is critical. Although we plan to park for months at a time, we do need to be able to cross the country in it. Okay...Here are the buses and what I know about them so far: (One I visited last week. I am going to see one on Fri & one on Sun)

1st bus: 1986 Ford (bluebird) 40 ft $5000, 180,000 miles. 8.2 Detroit Diesel engine, manual transmission. Has been partially converted. Has 30 amp shore power and a place for generator hook up. Has a food prep area, couple couches and a dining area. No additional floor insulation. Owner has had for 10 years. No mechanical work done in that time frame other than upkeep. 1st step very rusted. Did not notice any other rust. Air brakes. Tires were new when he bought it...has had about 50,000 miles on them since. Started up and ran smooth. (this is the one I visited already)

2nd bus : 1986 GMC. $4000 8 cylinder diesel. Automatic. listed as 50,000 miles 40 ft. Deck on top and on back. Awning Wired for generator. Not titles as RV but tagged as one(?) Bedroom . Sitting area. I am going to see this one Fri and unfortunately I don't have any additional information yet.

3rd bus: 1987 Thomas/International. $3700. 6 cylinder diesel. Automatic. Owner stated in an email that it was originally manual and that the school had it switched to automatic. Sink, toilet, fuse box with 110 wiring. eating area, beds in back. I am going to see this one Sunday.

I would appreciate any feedback or specific questions I should ask before making a final decision. All are listed on craigslist. I'm so excited! Can't wait to bring home our bus & start our adventure!

Wendy

cottagecreekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
1st bus sounds way overpriced.
They all sound pretty high to me.
WHat area of the country are you in?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:49 AM   #3

Ohio. I need something that has already been gutted at least...There was another we looked at that was just gutted that the guy wanted $5000 for. Pulling the seats and such is beyond us at this point so I don't mind paying more to avoid that work. We can do most the plumbing, framing etc. When I was younger my parents had a home construction company so I have some basic construction skills but not so much metal working. I just finished reading your build thread btw. Loved your story and your bus!
Old 09-17-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Thanks,
I'd try like heck to shop south of OH. Look to Kentucky, that's where I got mine. Every Ohio or Michigan bus I've seen are way rustier than I'd want to start with.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I agree, unless they are in the southwest, probably have rust issues. All are overpriced for the year. In my opinion an already started conversion is not a plus and in something that old would all need to come out anyway. Ten year old tires are not a plus either, I just threw away some that were that age and weather checked to the point of being unsafe.
The second one has no title at all? I'm not a big fan of V8 Detroits.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Welcome.

If pulling seats is too much work for you, just buy a motor home and forget about buying a skoolie.

I would not buy any of the buses you listed. They are all junk.

I would also never buy some one else s conversion. Most are a slapped together mess, using crappy materials, with a crappy layout.

Good luck.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:54 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Welcome to the forum.

Hope you continue here, I'd like to see your progress. The deal I made for our bus included seat removal, and a few extras, saved me the trouble and hassle of disposal. Plus I like to keep our yard junk free. Even gave the HC lift to a disabled person I know, worked out great.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:39 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
Pulling the seats and such is beyond us at this point so I don't mind paying more to avoid that work
It really isn't that hard, just dirty work. With an angle grinder, cut the floor bolts, the rail bolts are easy to just undo. No need to crawl under the bus. If that part is too too hard, I think the rest of a conversion would be beyond you. Or pay someone to do it.
Quote:
I have some basic construction skills but not so much metal working
Unless you want there to be, there isn't all that much metal working involved, but the three buses you cited, if they have lived in Ohio,Michigan,Indiana or anywhere that they salt the roads are almost 30 years old. They are going to be rusty and or rusted out in a lot of places. That all involves metal work.

Quote:
Since we are looking for something we can stay in full time for at least a year, a well running bus is critical.
Get a bus that has just come out of service in a school district, every state has laws and inspections for school buses. Many states simply have an age limit. You are more likely to get one that doesn't really need anything. As EastcoastCB said look for something away from the oceans and south of, say I70.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but you have to be realistic about what you are going to find on Craig's list.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #9
Bus Geek

This is just a generalization, but the CL buses I looked at were rough an seemed under-maintained. Especially compared to buses still at schools.
The CL buses are more expensive, to boot.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:10 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
you can get newer for cheaper, go to www.govdeals.com and look in the bus section, I have bought 2 from there, one is for sale
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dond View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Hope you continue here, I'd like to see your progress. The deal I made for our bus included seat removal, and a few extras, saved me the trouble and hassle of disposal. Plus I like to keep our yard junk free. Even gave the HC lift to a disabled person I know, worked out great.
Thank you. I was just thinking I may go back to lurking...lol . We've had a lot happen the last couple of years and are making some big life changes that will hopefully lead us on some great adventures and healing of the soul this next year. Can I ask, where did you buy your bus?
Old 09-17-2015, 10:41 PM   #12

Perhaps I have overestimated the job of pulling the seats and the hassle of disposing of them....or just watched the wrong videos of it. Lol. A motor home will not work for us, nor is it what we prefer. Thank you all for the advice.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:30 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottagecreekgirl View Post
Thank you. I was just thinking I may go back to lurking...lol . We've had a lot happen the last couple of years and are making some big life changes that will hopefully lead us on some great adventures and healing of the soul this next year. Can I ask, where did you buy your bus?
We got ours from AAA Bus Sales in PHX. A rust free, very clean AZ bus with white roof, extra insulation and tinted windows. Plus 2 ACs for on the road cooling.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:43 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottagecreekgirl View Post
Perhaps I have overestimated the job of pulling the seats

This is my method. It has worked for 2 buses so far.

First 40 seconds is how long it took the 10 seats before this video.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 09-17-2015, 11:53 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466e
Nat, that's by far the most fun I've had watching something in a while. always one that just doesn't want to cooperate.

I used 4 vise grips and a breaker bar and simply tightened until they snap usually about 1 turn.
montanatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:02 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466e
cottagecreekgirl, the seats are probably the simplest part of the conversion process in my opinion. I know that doesn't mean much but they are very strait forward to remove. disposal isn't to bad normally. I listed mine on CL and had people wanting them for many different things. It took a few weeks to for them to go but I got paid for some of them.

Buy a good bus structurally! Mechanically sound. The rest isn't to bad.

Lots of help here when you need it. With a few passionate opinions now and then.
montanatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:21 AM   #17

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
This is my method. It has worked for 2 buses so far.

First 40 seconds is how long it took the 10 seats before this video.

Nat

HOLY COW!!! I want that radiator and intercooler. They look like they came off a locomotive. Definitely not the puny garbage in my Internationals.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:34 AM   #18
Bus Geek

The one you see is the small one from a front engine ISB 5.9 Cummins.

The intercooler is from this bus.

That's 250 hp Cummins 8.3 stuff.

The original rad weighed over 125 pounds. Just insane big. It's leaning there too, on the opposite wall.

Nat

Old 09-19-2015, 07:36 PM   #19

Now I've lined up a 1992 Thomas with a Cummings engine, 55,000 miles originally from Florida. Jer is checking it out tomorrow before we head out to see the other one I mentioned earlier I'm having such a blast looking at buses!
Old 09-19-2015, 07:42 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Ask for service records or try to verify that mileage if possible.
The gauges are often replaced and don't reflect actual mileage. I'd say that MOST buses don't have the correct mileage indicated.
If its from FL look for rust or MOLD. the moldy ones from FL are the really neglected ones.