Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-08-2021, 01:27 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 43
5 window diesel?? Can it be true??

I have been wondering if it could be true, then I came across this one.

1991 chevy Blue star Short Bus. 8.2 diesel. 8.2.. really?? No further info as of yet. I have nothing in my cheat-sheet on this 8.2 chevy diesel. Before I speak with this guy, is this engine something I should be looking at? I'm excited on this being old-school, we'll at least older...

__________________
https://bywaysnohighways.com
RJNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 3,022
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJNH View Post
I have been wondering if it could be true, then I came across this one.

1991 chevy Blue star Short Bus. 8.2 diesel. 8.2.. really?? No further info as of yet. I have nothing in my cheat-sheet on this 8.2 chevy diesel. Before I speak with this guy, is this engine something I should be looking at? I'm excited on this being old-school, we'll at least older...
stay away from the 8.2.
it is underpowered
outdated and hard to find mechanics that know how to work on it and or have the correct tools to set it up correctly.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 11:11 PM   #3
Bus Nut
 
mokibrabrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 410
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJNH View Post
I have been wondering if it could be true, then I came across this one.

1991 chevy Blue star Short Bus. 8.2 diesel. 8.2.. really?? No further info as of yet. I have nothing in my cheat-sheet on this 8.2 chevy diesel. Before I speak with this guy, is this engine something I should be looking at? I'm excited on this being old-school, we'll at least older...
You might want to look at it. Buy it and drive it? A whole different kettle of fish. However the 8.2 is not a Chevy it is an early foray into the four stroke world by Detroit Diesel. Now everyone will no doubt have something to say about boat anchors and walking heads etc etc. But in this small bus application it just might be workable. I'll leave it at that. Later iterations of this engine corrected the exploding head gasket cooling issues with larger bolts and higher torque specifications. In a very short bus its underwhelming HP might be acceptable. I suggest you look. If it's droppingng or weeping oil especially at the rear seal the it's time to go. The great advantage it is fully mechanical....just keep walking unless you have an old CAT 3208 Turbo hanging around.
__________________
I come from no country, from no city, no tribe. I am the son of the road... all tongues and all prayers belong to me. But I belong to none of them.
mokibrabrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 02:00 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Oregon
Posts: 11
Year: 1987
Coachwork: Dodge
Chassis: B350
Engine: built 360 Mopar
Rated Cap: 15 pax
Don't know if this helps you but I just saw that this was just listed on Eugene, Oregon on Craigslist Cars and Trucks for sale by owner. Posted 11 hours ago (west coast time). Would post a direct link but not sure how. Somebody is gonna want this one!
Redneckotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:47 AM   #5
Bus Nut
 
mokibrabrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 410
Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown Super Coach
Chassis: Built on a Crown Chassis
Engine: 300HP BIG CAM TURBO 855
Rated Cap: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneckotter View Post
Don't know if this helps you but I just saw that this was just listed on Eugene, Oregon on Craigslist Cars and Trucks for sale by owner. Posted 11 hours ago (west coast time). Would post a direct link but not sure how. Somebody is gonna want this one!
Well if it were not for the rust I would suspect this would be a far more reliable ride than any Ford turtle top. Has a veggie conversion already onboard which probably explains why it may not be running as well as it should. Good news it dies have a diesel tank. Good news is it is all mechanical. (Read no coil packs).
Could have been better. I would ALWAYS choose a DT466 over a 7.3....but ya could do worse and have a T444e

But here's the link. And though it has that New York rust on the step well it also has a
Manual 5 speed. I imagine injectors coked up with unburned Veggie oil could make anyone think they might need an overhaul even on a good day. But the pump should be well lubed. Here it is.
Have at it. A real Skoolie.

https://eugene.craigslist.org/cto/d/...288518520.html
__________________
I come from no country, from no city, no tribe. I am the son of the road... all tongues and all prayers belong to me. But I belong to none of them.
mokibrabrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:30 AM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Ohio
Posts: 3,783
Are you sure it's an 8.2 and not a 6.2? I don't think they've ever used an 8.2 in a shorty. And by shorty, I mean the type a cutaway style van buses, not a type b medium duty chassis bus with a short wheelbase.

Regardless, the 6.2 is nothing to brag about. They have a love/hate following, and I lean more towards the hate side of it. They're kind of gutless, and are known to blow head gaskets, crack bottom ends, and break crankshafts.
__________________
My build: The Silver Bullet https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/p...llet-9266.html
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 08:58 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Are you sure it's an 8.2 and not a 6.2? I don't think they've ever used an 8.2 in a shorty. And by shorty, I mean the type a cutaway style van buses, not a type b medium duty chassis bus with a short wheelbase.

Regardless, the 6.2 is nothing to brag about. They have a love/hate following, and I lean more towards the hate side of it. They're kind of gutless, and are known to blow head gaskets, crack bottom ends, and break crankshafts.
Can only pass what the seller posted. I did have a few text conversations and find him lacking or unwilling to pass along further info. I was happily surprised to see a decent size diesel in a shorty. Main reason I posted it was to learn about this diesel.

It's an 8hr drive for me to drive and investigate this one. My impression (and location) so far is it's not as stated or photo'ed.

If anyone is close and wishes to have a peek, please report back on what you find (or bought). It's a look'a!!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...rral_code=null
__________________
https://bywaysnohighways.com
RJNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:06 AM   #8
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 23,782
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15


5 windows are out there, just not very common. Glad I got one! Fun size!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #9
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: West Ohio
Posts: 3,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJNH View Post
Can only pass what the seller posted. I did have a few text conversations and find him lacking or unwilling to pass along further info. I was happily surprised to see a decent size diesel in a shorty. Main reason I posted it was to learn about this diesel.

It's an 8hr drive for me to drive and investigate this one. My impression (and location) so far is it's not as stated or photo'ed.

If anyone is close and wishes to have a peek, please report back on what you find (or bought). It's a look'a!!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...rral_code=null
That's a type b bus. So an 8.2 is a possibility. Although short type b buses aren't common, you can still find them, and typically with better powerplants. An 8.2 isn't all that desirable.

With an unwilling/unmotivated seller, I'd pass.
__________________
My build: The Silver Bullet https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/p...llet-9266.html
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:42 AM   #10
New Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 1
We are buying this bus today

This is funny.. went on this post to get more information on the bus we are buying today and it turns out to be the same bus we are buying today based on your marketplace link! We are a bit closer in the DC area and liked how old school it was too. My boyfriend and I are actually new skoolies and have never done anything like this before (wish us luck) and wanted something unique. We checked the bus out last week and it looked/drove great! If anyone has any info on this type of bus it would be greatly appreciated as it seems we are a bit in over our head but hoping for the best!
msfrizzle8268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 07:48 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 43
Good for you folks! Hope it works out well!

It was just too far for me to drive and find another dis-appointment. I love the 'old-school' look of her.

My impression of the engine, by those posting above, is don't push it hard and for size/weight of the bus, it should be fine. With it's location (and age) I'm sure there's frame/body rust, yet hopefully not bad and easily taken care of.

Again, congrads on the purchase!
__________________
https://bywaysnohighways.com
RJNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.