Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2021, 10:16 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

$50,000 skoolies?!

I keep seeing skoolies for sale for $25,000, $35,000, $40,000... Are they really selling for that much? Do people really have that much to spend on skoolies?

wanderingturtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:06 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
The ones that come on this site that are blatantly overpriced receive a lot of ridicule. Infrastructure is expensive. If all it has is carpentry, Jerry can water and a boat toilet it can’t be priced too high, but if there’s 10K in parts on a bus around the same amount, with good workmanship, then what’s that worth? That being said, I doubt many are making wages.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Considering many of us have 30-35K (or more) invested in our builds? And that's just material costs, not to mention the work involved in building the bus. Also, considering what people pay for shoddy motorhomes (upwards of 100k). Yes...people really have that much to spend on skoolies.
Old Yesterday, 11:10 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Considering many of us have 30-35K (or more) invested in our builds? And that's just material costs, not to mention the work involved in building the bus. Also, considering what people pay for shoddy motorhomes (upwards of 100k). Yes...people really have that much to spend on skoolies.
This. It costs money and time to correctly gut a school bus and build it back up. Then you have all the costs associated with properly maintaining the vehicle and keeping it roadworthy. Sometimes these things make boat ownership look affordable

It's the half assed builds where they retain original floor and ceiling yet ask 5 figures or more that get my scorn. Or the ones where they choose a terrible drivetrain and/or low spec rusted out bus bodies and yet expect the moon for their creations when they go to sell. Very common in my area.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:51 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 IDI
Rated Cap: 14
My old boss gave nearly 375k for his luxury coach. 50k is a drop in the bucket for some.

"Skoolies" are becoming main stream... so prices go through the roof.

Also have to consider that quite a few want to live in them. 50k for a well furnished tiny house on wheels isn't bad. Just depends on how you look at it I guess.

Would I give 50k for a skoolie? Negative.
Mr4btTahoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Bantam
Engine: International T444
Rated Cap: 16?
By the time I am done with mine I would charge at least that much… and mine is a tiny not very complicated bus.
ISAF2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr4btTahoe View Post
My old boss gave nearly 375k for his luxury coach. 50k is a drop in the bucket for some.
Would I give 50k for a skoolie? Negative.
Right now, in my financial state, I wouldn't either.

Now if we had your bosses money???
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Bantam
Engine: International T444
Rated Cap: 16?
Think about it, my dickinson marine ac unit is almost 2 grand, my power battery and inverter setup is like $3500, the natures head is a grand the maxxfan is $400 my marine stove isn't cheap, nor is the suburban propane heater those combined are like another 1500 bucks. My alpicool is like 400 bucks thats $10,000 right there if you didn’t scrounge, salvage, and craigslist like I did. Plus another 10k for a good solid reliable not yellow bus. After that you have all the wood, odds and ends, and the occasional tool. That is before you have taken anyone’s labor into consideration. I expect to be in to my bus for 15k+ and I haven’t paid more than 40% of retail for anything and the only labor Ive paid anyone was the transmission rebuilder and the painter. Even if you calculated my labor at minimum wage here in CA I would be taking a loss until around the 40k mark conservatively. Should anyone pay that for a skoolie? Dunno, I wouldn’t.
ISAF2009 is offline   Reply With Quote