Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2020, 12:24 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
6 Pin Blue Fire Capabilities

'99 Blue Bird with the 8.3L Cummins and the MD 3060 trans.

I'm looking at the 6 pin J1708 to use with my old iPad. The iPad is old enough it's not much good for anything else, but new enough to work with this. I plan on mounting it to the dash and having the custom gauges screen. The things I'm wanting to watch are RPM, MPH, engine temp, trans temp, fuel, oil temp & pressure, volts/amps. Would love to get odometer and engine hour too. Is there anyone currently using this set up that can comment on what is available and if it's worth the effort to incorporate building it into the dash?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OGM3E10...v_ov_lig_dp_it

JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:37 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I have one, it works well. I think you can gett all you need and much more. You may need to update your iPad OS ...check that out at the BlueFire website. I have used my BlueFire adapter on my bus and my dad's RV which has the same drivetran as you have in your bus.

Note: You can download the FREE app from links on the BlueFire website and try it out in demo mode to see that your iPad works with it. The same app works with the adapter, so it is a full function app.

Second note: When you are ready to purchase, order it from the BlueFire website and enter AMAZON for the discount code and you get 10% off of the Amazon price!
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Awesome, thank you, I will get the app and start learning it. I assume we would use the Blue Fire for Trucks, not motor homes?
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:02 PM   #4
Bus Geek

I use the "for Trucks" app, but the developer asked me why. Theonly reason is that it has an IFTA icon that I can get the gallons used (overall) on that screen for when I fill up. However, the "for Motorhomes" app now has an"I just filled up" button that you can use. I'll have to play with the MH app some more.

The dashboards you develop can be used in either app. The trip logs can also be transferred between the apps.

The MH app is updated more often.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:25 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
Does anyone with a late 90s early 2000s Bluebird know if the Blue Fire gets the odometer mileage from the ECM? My odometer is on the fritz and I was wondering if this could be another excuse to get the Blue Fire.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:38 PM   #6
Bus Geek

I do not have a BlueBird ... but I would bet the BlueFire would read it. That is one of the reasons I purchased our adapter ... the odometer reading from the ECM.

Note: My dad's RV has a Cummins 8.3L with an MD3060 and I could read the odometer from the ECM on it with my adapter.