Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2008, 07:35 AM   #1
Bus Geek

abondoned freeway tunnel's in PA

Just outside breezewood pa are some cool old x-pressway tunnels that are no longer in use. I stopped there yesterday morning on my way home from washington DC.

I think they bypassed the tunnels about 1967. If you'r ever out that way, you should stop and take a walk, or even better you can rent a bicycle and get a tour from some bicycle shop in town. We spent a couple of hours out there on a nice sunday afternoon, and saw 1 person who was about 1 mile away. I like out of the way non-tourist trap attractions.

you can see the light at the end of the tunnel if you look closely at the first pic

Old 10-27-2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: abondoned freeway tunnel's in PA

Here's the wikipedia articles about the tunnels.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sideling_Hill_Tunnel

From the picture, this is the one you visited.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sideling_Hill_Tunnel

I guess they bypassed the tunnels because it was cheaper than boring a 2nd tunnel to handle the increased traffic. How sad.. the cheaper option is not nearly as cool, plus they could have made all the money back in tolls.

Last year when we delivered Jacuzzi bus II I took a video of us driving though the Allegheny mountain tunnel which is still in use (for now, according to the wikipedia site it may be bypassed in the future)

Old 10-29-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
Bus Geek

no motor vehicles allowed....and the route we walked physically didn't allow access to 4 wheeled vehicles due to cement barricades.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:04 PM   #4

Those tunnels used to be part of the PA Turnpike and they were originally railroad tunnels. When they realized that they needed to widen the road back in the 60's, they abandoned 2 tunnels and about 12 miles of roadway, including a service plaza to dig new, wider tunnels. The software for my Garmin GPS actually has the old road listed on it as "Abandoned PA Turnpike". Haven't been there yet, but thinking about it in the spring or summer. I only live about 4 hours away from them.

http://www.rays-hill.com/turnpike/home.htm
dabauer1701e is offline   Reply With Quote