Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2022, 08:50 PM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
My 7.3 IDI won't start without the glow plugs being hot...unless it's already warmed up. And I have observed that if I crank for too long, it will never start when cold. On mine, I need to go through the key off>key on>let glow plugs get hot cycle anew if mine won't start on the first crank. I do have a fuel leak and need to replace the olives and o-rings, so mine is stubborn after sitting overnight.

rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 09:46 AM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
Just to chime in, had an ambulance with idi in it I had all but giving up on. Had a guy come out with 3 hot batteries cranked a min and it fired up. Had just sat to long and my batteries would crank long enough to fire. Once it fired and ran it was easy to get started back up..
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 06:35 AM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TS2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisOrion View Post
Update
I was able to work on the bus yesterday. I changed all of the glow plugs and the glow plug controller. It was getting late so I grabbed some fresh fuel and tried to start it. Nothing happened so I checked the controller and I didn't hear the "click" so I think I have a power issue. The low oil, low water and low air lights were flashing as well...I'm going to get back to it sometime this week. https://youtu.be/ermx7kc6Ay8

I watched that. Sounds to me like no fuel. Good on the batteries, as in cranking well. The buzzers and lights are ok until she kicks over.
You need to pump the (gas) pedal, much, aggressive, a lot. pump pump pump and hold down, whilst cranking.

She's close. I hard wired my glow plugs with solid 10 gauge wire.

There's no rocket science with these motors.

How's it going?
MountainJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:05 AM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
My 7.3 IDI won't start without the glow plugs being hot...unless it's already warmed up. And I have observed that if I crank for too long, it will never start when cold. On mine, I need to go through the key off>key on>let glow plugs get hot cycle anew if mine won't start on the first crank. I do have a fuel leak and need to replace the olives and o-rings, so mine is stubborn after sitting overnight.

even my electronic 7.3 likes its glowplugs.. it has to be pretty warm for it to fire off easily without the glowplugs..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 09:55 AM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Did you try the "Sweet Talk"?

I'm still thinking air in your fuel system. Hopefully not your injection pump.
On my Ford truck, there's a rudimentary OBD kind of thing that you can hook up a voltmeter to (preferably analog) and count pulses that correspond to trouble codes. (We're talking 1993 here.)
Check all your injectors and fuel rails. No leak of fuel doesn't mean there's not air getting in there.
Old 11-10-2022, 12:39 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
obd is for the e4od automatic that is likely installed in the truck. He doesn't have that, and likely won't have a computer on the bus, except for the cell in his pocket.

No need to pump the gas, it's not a carb with an accelerator pump, pumping does nothing for it. Pushing it down will likely do nothing either, as he appears to have an air throttle and and an air powered high idle solenoid. Without air pressure, neither will work.

Once he for sure has the plugs operating, he'll have to work the throttle by hand. It's not "necessary" but will drastically speed up the starting process, especially if there is air or old fuel present in the system.

MemphisOrion, your 2nd picture in the first post shows the air throttle. This is a similar one https://mpparts.com/part/williams-11...ylinder-117888

Here is yours labeled.

As you can see, to the right would be full throttle, left is no throttle.

While cranking, and with functioning plugs, hold the lever to the right to put it full throttle. Once started, you can release it and the engine should idle.
Old 02-11-2023, 12:03 AM   #47
Skoolie

Chassis: TC2000
Did you get it started?
Nick5272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 12:47 PM   #48
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: IC RE (PB30500)
Engine: Maxxforce DT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick5272 View Post
Did you get it started?
I don't believe he did. I saw this bus posted on Facebook Marketplace three days ago. I'm currently trying to convince a friend of mine to go get it.
Old 02-12-2023, 10:43 AM   #49
Bus Geek

that would be a fun as heck bus to have..
Old 02-17-2023, 10:36 AM   #50
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Orion
Chassis: Orion II
Engine: International 4600 7.3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick5272 View Post
Did you get it started?
I have not gotten it started yet, and out of frustration posted the bus on FB marketplace. After a few of the forum members reached out to me I decided to take it down and continue working on the bus. I agree with a few comments that it is a fuel issue so that is what I am focusing on going forward.

The saga continues
MemphisOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 07:22 PM   #51
Mini-Skoolie

@BoohYah. I knew that. I was wondering why it was only kicking out codes like WOT and stuff. I've put a 5speed in mine since.

Ether is your friend? My truck has once again become difficult to start. It was on a roll there for a few months last year but the Wait to Start/glowplug light doesn't even come on now. Last year it was running ok but only on fuel from my rear tank. I filled up my front tank (but only took about a quart!) and she ended up no start-drain the battery tow (AAA).
Fuel. Also air in fuel system. And glow plugs. Mechanical fuel injection. Should go.
Did I mention ether?
Old 02-17-2023, 07:32 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
Me thinks that generally speaking, Ether is not a good idea.
If the engine is getting fuel it should run.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 07:52 PM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: tc 2000
Engine: P pump cummins
I have been watching this with a mix if jealousy and vicarious hope. I would beg for troubleshooting purpose eliminate variables so start with clear tubing and an elevated fuel can and an outboard motor fuel squeeze bulb running clear lines to motor and back to can. ( let gravity to help purge air up and fuel down w fresh fuel and no surprise suction leaks. From there use squeeze bulb to prime filters and pump. From there crack injector lines at injectors manually hold fuel lever to full position and cranknover a few times. You should see fuel coming out of lines with a slight pulse. If so tighten them back down and try glow plugging and try to start. (did I mention begin with block heater plugging in if power and or heater available before you begin with) if no fuel at injectors go troubleshooting pump. If yes fuel and no start give your compression a boost. Either through glow plugs or carefully snaking a this hose through intake runners you want to put a bit of oil into each cylinder you can reach. Diesels require compression to fire and with it sitting cylinders go dry and fuel washes them down so a hot of oil tightens the rings and gets it popping. Please keep us updated as you go. I a super excited you have not given up the chase. Also if need be pm me and ill get you my number and can talk you through it when you are there next. Sadly though I will be in Virginia for two weeks will be in williamsburg and without a rental car so I am only available by phone. Good luck David
Oliveguam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 07:15 AM   #54
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainJeff View Post
@BoohYah. I knew that. I was wondering why it was only kicking out codes like WOT and stuff. I've put a 5speed in mine since.

Ether is your friend? My truck has once again become difficult to start. It was on a roll there for a few months last year but the Wait to Start/glowplug light doesn't even come on now. Last year it was running ok but only on fuel from my rear tank. I filled up my front tank (but only took about a quart!) and she ended up no start-drain the battery tow (AAA).
Fuel. Also air in fuel system. And glow plugs. Mechanical fuel injection. Should go.
Did I mention ether?
be VERY CAREFUL!!! with ether on a system that uses glowplugs.. the ether can ignite while the intake valve is still open or WAYYYY before TDC...
Old 02-20-2023, 02:05 PM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

Thumbs up

After posting my bus on FB Marketplace another Orion owner sent a pic of his bus...niiiiiiice! He wanted to use my bus for parts.
Attached Thumbnails
orion22.jpeg  
Old 02-20-2023, 02:11 PM   #56
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Probably not a bad idea for him. I imagine certain parts on that would be difficult to find.

I'd still figure someone would have to get this running. As a tow bill wouldn't be cheap.
Old 02-20-2023, 02:50 PM   #57
Bus Geek

that sucks id hate to see that bus get torn apart.. i really like those body style i think they are awesome
Old 02-20-2023, 04:11 PM   #58
Mini-Skoolie

Chassis: tc 2000
Engine: P pump cummins
Yeah... I cannot relocate back to conus for at least two or more years. That said I was hungry and tempted to make an offer and store it at my inlaws? Such an inovative design which in many ways is still the future, but still sports an IDI. So cool. I really hope to see it succeed as a time capsule of of sorts as tonme represents what we saw the future to be while in the 80s. That was before the internet, when science and technology was still cool. I would LOVE to find one of these someday, or wish i could have a weekend to get a crack at helping to get her running. These old idi's are enjoyable to work on. I have often wondered about a gmc motorhome and adapt a 6.2/6.5 block into it. And yet these are that and even more. Even as this goes on thlo the next owner i am gratefull thisbpost went uo as i had a fun time reseraching and reading what I could about them. (still many questions unanswered) cool to see something so fun and strange yet functional (ish)
Oliveguam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2023, 09:20 PM   #59
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
I think its premature to call this one done.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 11:07 PM   #60
Mini-Skoolie

Exclamation

UPDATE: Hello all! Its been awhile, I actually found another Orion bus. It actually runs and drives

https://youtube.com/shorts/ZLZUgjlvvn4?feature=share
Attached Thumbnails
ORIONBUS3.jpg   ORIONBUS2.jpg