Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 09:23 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
However...I must admit...the DD 6v53 "Screamer" in the BB I used to drive is not one I miss that much.

Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:28 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Engine: DD 6V92T
Checked out the Orion today. Super sweet bus that already has cork floors installed and some framing done.

The owner was unsure what specific detroit engine was in it. I looked around for a number on the dash with the engine info and looked around in the engine bay but couldn't find one. It is a turbo diesel and really got on it when we were driving it. It runs real smooth and starts right up. I really like the sound of it. It had some oil on the bottom sump and I could see a drop or two leaking. The heat works at it has a diesel heater for when the bus is off. It has air suspension and an air operated door. The seller said that he would have all fluids drained and filters changed and what not before driving it much. It has been sitting for a year or so and getting started every month just to run.

I'm going to have a diesel mechanic come out with me and see if he knows what engine and tranny are in it and how they seem to run.
samroon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:28 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Straighten me out here.... I have long thought that the Series 40 was based on the DT466/530. How did they manage a 6 cylinder T444?
You are correct. I don't know what I was thinking.

I will plead oldtimers and the fact I have never seen a Series 40 in anything. I don't think it was a very popular option.

https://www.barringtondieselclub.co....spec-sheet.pdf
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 10:49 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by samroon View Post
Checked out the Orion today. Super sweet bus that already has cork floors installed and some framing done.

The owner was unsure what specific detroit engine was in it. I looked around for a number on the dash with the engine info and looked around in the engine bay but couldn't find one. It is a turbo diesel and really got on it when we were driving it. It runs real smooth and starts right up. I really like the sound of it. It had some oil on the bottom sump and I could see a drop or two leaking. The heat works at it has a diesel heater for when the bus is off. It has air suspension and an air operated door. The seller said that he would have all fluids drained and filters changed and what not before driving it much. It has been sitting for a year or so and getting started every month just to run.

I'm going to have a diesel mechanic come out with me and see if he knows what engine and tranny are in it and how they seem to run.

Post some pictures! As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!

If the engine is a V-configuration it most likely is a 2-cycle DD. If it has a turbo it most likely is a -92 series. If the engine is painted silver and has eight cylinders it most likely is an 8V-92T.

If the engine is a V-configuration and it is painted green it more than likely is an 8V-71 or an 8V-71T if it has a turbo.

If the engine is a V-configuration and it is painted red and it has a turbo it most likely is a 6V-92T.

Some applications also included charge air coolers as well.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:40 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Rated Cap: 15 passenger
I just bought my bus for summer fun, of which rafting is probably my favorite!
I am sure you will love it when you get started.
Where does your rafting company get their buses, if they have them? That might be a good contact for you.
I do plan on insulating and getting winter camping ready, I am completely hooked.
Keep looking, has anyone asked you yet why you are working with a middleman and not buying from the school district via public surplus. That is part of the experience.
Peach Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Went and took another look at it today to snap some pictures and video. Any thoughts on what the engine may be?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3181.jpg   IMG_3173.jpg   IMG_3178.jpg   IMG_3186.jpg   IMG_3169.jpg  

Old 05-23-2017, 07:31 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
OOOOoooh- a 6v92. Very nice.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:43 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Definitely a silver 6V-92T.

Normal HP rating was about 350 HP.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:39 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

How long are these engines supposed to run if they are properly maintained? It has been sitting for about a year so I would want to drain all fluids and change filters. Are these very hard to work on? I've rebuilt air cooled VW motors (whole different game haha) and consider myself to be somewhat mechanically inclined. Are parts pricey for the Detroit Diesels?

Here's a video of it running:
Old 05-23-2017, 08:41 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

It's missing one of the two big batteries but it was cold when I got there (I checked to make sure engine was still cold) and it started right up on the second crank or so. Drives smooth and that turbo really moves that thing.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:01 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
is the 6V92 a 4 strroke or that 2 stroke that runs away and blows up when it gets old?
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:39 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

I believe it is a 2 stroke, someone can correct me if I am wrong. Is it known to not last very long?
Old 05-24-2017, 01:09 AM   #33
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I believe it is a 2 stroke, someone can correct me if I am wrong. Is it known to not last very long?
Detroit Diesel -53, -71, and -92 Series are all 2-cycle engines. The cylinders fire on every stroke.

In order to get enough air to make the combustion work they use gear driven superchargers to force air into the cylinders which also forces burnt exhaust out the exhaust valves at the same time.

It has been known to happen that when a blower seal fails it will start to leak engine oil into the blower which just adds extra fuel onto the air being blown into the cylinders. The more fuel the faster it will burn it up which will turn the blower faster which will add more fuel which will cause it to burn much quicker which will make the blower run even faster adding even more fuel to the fire. If you can't cut off the air for combustion the engine will continue running faster and faster until it either runs out of lube oil or it gets going so fast it literally blows up.

Because they fire on every cycle the engines do tend to wear out more quickly than a 4-cycle. Most are good for about 500K-800K before major issues. With care they can go even longer.

The most important thing to remember about the DD 2-cycle engines is you HAVE to use DD approved lube oil. The proper oil is Chevron Delo 100 40W unless the ambient temps are below about 10* F. Then you may want to use 30W. Using any multi-weight oil or any LE version of Delo 400 (or equivalent) will run the real risk of poor lubrication ending with breaking the oil rings and/or the compression rings on the cylinders.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:32 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like it could be a good motor but have to stay on top of the maintenance and use the right oil and coolant.

The guy that is selling it drove it about 10 miles and has started it every month or so for the past year. He said it was the same situation with the girl that he bought it from before, she dove it to her place about 5 miles and started it every once in a while over three months or so. She bought it from the City of Durango, who I assume, maintained it properly.

The bottom sump is pretty coated in oil and it lets out a drop or two while running, I've read that some oil leaking can be normal for the 2 stroke DD. Is there any other warning signs I should look for in the engine to see if it seems like a good buy or not?

My plan for the bus would be to convert it and live in it. We would probably only move it a couple times a year but I want it to be able to do cross country trips (wa to co) and I won't have to worry about the reliability.

Opinions on whether or not this engine and bus setup would be good for that application?
Old 05-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like it could be a good motor but have to stay on top of the maintenance and use the right oil and coolant.

The guy that is selling it drove it about 10 miles and has started it every month or so for the past year. He said it was the same situation with the girl that he bought it from before, she dove it to her place about 5 miles and started it every once in a while over three months or so. She bought it from the City of Durango, who I assume, maintained it properly.

The bottom sump is pretty coated in oil and it lets out a drop or two while running, I've read that some oil leaking can be normal for the 2 stroke DD. Is there any other warning signs I should look for in the engine to see if it seems like a good buy or not?

My plan for the bus would be to convert it and live in it. We would probably only move it a couple times a year but I want it to be able to do cross country trips (wa to co) and I won't have to worry about the reliability.

Opinions on whether or not this engine and bus setup would be good for that application?
That's gonna be a lot better for cross country trips than a medium duty school bus, I'll tell ya that!
I LOVE the old 2 strokes. The sound, the power.... MMMMMmmmmm
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:11 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
How long are these engines supposed to run if they are properly maintained? It has been sitting for about a year so I would want to drain all fluids and change filters. Are these very hard to work on? I've rebuilt air cooled VW motors (whole different game haha) and consider myself to be somewhat mechanically inclined. Are parts pricey for the Detroit Diesels?

Here's a video of it running:
My last one was rebuilt just shy of 600k miles. When I got rid of it it still ran great and was pushing 900k miles. Almost 300k miles on the rebuild and it ran strong.

PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO COWLITZ'S OIL ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proper cooling system maintenance is also key to longevity in these motors.

I wish I had room (& $$) for another bus. I could get real excited about that one.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:04 PM   #37
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: International T444E
I have a 2002 T444E its 33' total length not the longest version. We have had it a year with steady work it is 90% completed. Engine and drive train are great, my only problem when we purchased it, was the there was no air ride suspension at all, and made a horrible ride,but it was also empty which made it ride worse. We bought a Kelderman air suspension system and I installed it my self, and man it made all the difference. For what we needed I like the height of the suspension, like going over elevated train tracks we don't bottom out, and we can get around in tight parking lots without any issues. We bought ours on craigslist for $3000 with 150,000 miles on it. it has been a excellent buy for us with no regrets. Hope this helps.
spgrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 10:26 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the advice guys. I haven't looked at the transmission but does anyone have an estimated guess of what the top speed of this rig would be? He has never taken it on the highway and is unsure of how fast it will go.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:16 AM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: International T444E
My T444E running at 60MPH will tach about 2500 RPM. I have had it up 70MPH and cruised that speed for a while without any issues taching at 2700-2800 RPM. A lot of it depends on the road your driving, and his it loaded down when you build it, when you add everything to the inside. Less weight inside will cause a rough ride, these buses are designed to carry weight and thats when they drive best. If you have a fully loaded Rig you probably wont be looking so much at speed. We cruise at about 60-62 is a good cruising speed and you be surprised you will still be passing slow poke drives on the the road. I will honestly tell you I hate to drive long distances, but I tell wife every-time we go out I love driving this bus and I can drive al day long, it is easier to drive than our Honda Odyssey van. Here are few photos of my bus so you see what size we have. And also a picture of the Kelderman air suspension system I installed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20160523_130126.jpg   IMG_20160918_165001.jpg   IMG_20160918_161820.jpg  
spgrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:15 AM   #40

Hi

Hello everyone, we are new to the sight and to skooling. We are looking at 2004 7.3L Allison 5spd o/d auto with front and rear air. I'm asking for opinions on what everyone thinks about this before we decide. It is being sold in Houston for $5800. Thanks in advance for the advise.
Bldcop is offline   Reply With Quote