Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2023, 12:00 PM   #1

Advice on how to move a non-running skoolie on my property

Hi everyone, first post here and looking to get into the skoolie life but in an unconventional way. I want to purchase a totaled bus (front end damage) and renovate it on my property (2.5 acres with a home) for myself to live in. It would be out of auction and not running, since I don’t plan on traveling in it (I know its a skoolie sin forgive me). I want advice on how to move it around once it gets towed here, it would be a rolling bus and I’m constantly changing stuff around on my property so would need to move it around every so often, short distances and not on the road at all, just dirt and gravel and flat. I have thought about some kind of winch on the rear end or something but want some advice from the skoolie people themselves. What would you do? Thanks!

Miggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 12:23 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
A decent sized farm tractor or a pickup truck with enough oomph to move it. If the tires are aired up and the driveshaft is disconnected, there's not much rolling resistance just sheer mass. Oh, and if it's air brakes you'll really regret this decision because without airing them up air brakes fail in the engaged state so every time you move it you'll have to build up it's air supply to release them OR cage the air brake chambers but then it'll roll freely all the time. So in the latter case treat it like a wagon and chock those tires!
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 12:39 PM   #3

Thank you for the quick reply! That’s what I figured since its not proper towing on a flatbed or anything. Do you think a v8 1500 would get the job done like a chevy 5.3 vortec?
Old 01-04-2023, 12:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
A decent sized farm tractor or a pickup truck with enough oomph to move it. If the tires are aired up and the driveshaft is disconnected, there's not much rolling resistance just sheer mass. Oh, and if it's air brakes you'll really regret this decision because without airing them up air brakes fail in the engaged state so every time you move it you'll have to build up it's air supply to release them OR cage the air brake chambers but then it'll roll freely all the time. So in the latter case treat it like a wagon and chock those tires!
Thank you for the quick reply! That’s what I figured since its not proper towing on a flatbed or anything. Do you think a v8 1500 would get the job done like a chevy 5.3 vortec?
Old 01-04-2023, 03:36 PM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 31 ft. HDX
Engine: CAT C7 250 hp
Rated Cap: 36,300 GVW
How big is the Bus ? A 40 footer or a small cutaway van? If it is a big one, you are talking about 10 tons of mass, so that 1500 will be along for the ride !
jimmythomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 04:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythomas View Post
How big is the Bus ? A 40 footer or a small cutaway van? If it is a big one, you are talking about 10 tons of mass, so that 1500 will be along for the ride !
Yup looking at a few full size school busses, but again its on my property, flat and pulling a rolling bus for short distances, we’re talking a couple hundred feet at any given time at most. You think the 1500 would be eaten up just grabbing the hooks and pulling?
Old 01-04-2023, 05:40 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
Does the 1500 have 4 wheel drive? That would help, also put weight in it. Traction will most likely be the bigger issue, not engine size. I do expect it would do ok on hard flat ground.

As already mentioned you will have to cage the brakes, or air them up.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 06:27 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Your best bet would be a 4x4 pickup truck with a 4-Low transfer case. That'll be slow but it'll move. Then as mentioned traction is the biggest factor so load up that pickup bed with weight to give it traction.
Old 01-04-2023, 06:39 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
We used to haul dead party buses to the scrap yard behind my mechanic's late-90s model Dodge 2500 in 4-Low via a good size length of chain
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 01:01 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Trailer Conversion

If you are intending to remove the excess weight, enginge/trans, linkage & brakes...
It may not weight that much.

Two threads on the subject
(trailer & puller)

www.skoolie.net/5th-wheel-bus

www.skoolie.net/short-bus-shortening-for-towing-5th

DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 01:41 PM   #11
Almost There

+1 on a decent 4x4 pickup in 4-low, but only if on flat, dry ground. If there's slope or the ground is soft I'd recommend some flavor of construction equipment. Something on tracks preferably. Size would increase with the slope you'd be moving it on.

Since you said it was flat ground, I'd think your z71 should work as long as it and the ground are both solid. Just remember that spinning your tires isn't the way to go unless you want to tear something up.

Oh, and most importantly, don't misuse chains, straps, or ropes. There are ropes and straps that are meant to be "jerked" (look up kinetic ropes), but even then it's easy to have something break and turn into a very-much deadly projectile if you yank on things like many instinctively want to. Especially if you're trying to move a bus like that...
bbkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 03:20 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 78
Moving Skoolie that doesn’t run…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
Hi everyone, first post here and looking to get into the skoolie life but in an unconventional way. I want to purchase a totaled bus (front end damage) and renovate it on my property (2.5 acres with a home) for myself to live in. It would be out of auction and not running, since I don’t plan on traveling in it (I know its a skoolie sin forgive me). I want advice on how to move it around once it gets towed here, it would be a rolling bus and I’m constantly changing stuff around on my property so would need to move it around every so often, short distances and not on the road at all, just dirt and gravel and flat. I have thought about some kind of winch on the rear end or something but want some advice from the skoolie people themselves. What would you do? Thanks!
Assuming that it has air brakes you will need to run an air line from your bus air tank to a tank capable of filling it up so you can charge your air brakes.
After doing this, you should be able to drag it around with a half to three quarter ton pickup.
BriteLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 03:27 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriteLeaf View Post
Assuming that it has air brakes you will need to run an air line from your bus air tank to a tank capable of filling it up so you can charge your air brakes.
After doing this, you should be able to drag it around with a half to three quarter ton pickup.

or just cage the brakes.. much easier
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 03:28 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I do have to wonder WHY though? there are MUCH better things to live in stationary than a school bus..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 04:24 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I do have to wonder WHY though? there are MUCH better things to live in stationary than a school bus..
*Shrugs* we're all a little crazy around here anyways.
Old 01-11-2023, 04:29 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American Rear Engine
Engine: C-8.3-300 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 40 Prisoners
I would not limit yourself to a totaled bus. I would look for one that is drivable and drive it to your property and avoid the tow bill then sell the drive train out of it. Sometimes the motor and transmission are worth more than you paid for the bus.
Dragonpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 05:03 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

You have lose nothing trying it with the 1500. Chain around the hitch and move it a few hundred feet? Yup, I bet a pickup will do it just fine. Load all available kids and adults in the bed for weight if you need traction. Or if that's no fun, then a tarp in the bed and run the water hose until it squats on the springs (meaning it'll hook up enough to accomplish the mission). Slow and easy and remember the 2000lbs of water sloshing is going to make things tricky if you build up a head of steam. Low gear the whole way is my thought.

Also, unless it's on uneven land, it's not going to roll on its own so disabling the brakes is viable and of course, chock the wheels as someone else mentioned. If per chance there are functioning air brakes, then a small compressor powered by a 2000W Harbor Freight 12V-110AC converter should work well enough with a 20' extension cord to build enough pressure to release and function. you need a driver in the bus, too so it's not a one-man job.

Note; leave the truck running whilst the compressor is running to keep from running down the pickup truck's battery.

Anyway, assuming you're not doing this weekly, meaning just a few times before you figure where it's not going to be in your way too much, then your idea for using a pickup truck strikes me as sound. And if not, then maybe entice a neighbor to use his John Deere in exchange for a case of beer, or something, occasionally. Good luck!

Closing thoughts; once you're not moving it without an Act of Congress, score some 16x16 pavers and some 4x4 posts and block the corners. 1/2 x 6 Lag screws will let you bolt together three vertical pieces per corner so they won't tip or shift. They won't be perfect so shim the low corners until it approximates level to your satisfaction and call it done . . . new living space for cheap!
jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 10:07 PM   #18
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Find someone close by that has a farm tractor. Either farmer or tractor restorer. Since you probably wont have brakes you may need to fabricate an A frame swing up tow bracket. Tractor restorers love to pull anything for fun. Farmer offer him some cash or beer.
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 10:31 AM   #19
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird 35 shuttle cng
Engine: John deere
Rated Cap: 36
Parking dead bus

Make sure that when it gets to it's parking spot you park it on some pavers or keep it off the dirt. Then make sure you keep the tires inflated. I have had trailers that I haven't used for several years and the tires that leaked down just fell apart in the mud and the ones that were full at least were able to roll even if they weren't road worthy.
Also like others I suggest not getting something that's wrecked for several reasons.first it's an extra hassle to fix it so it looks decent. Then if its wrecked it most likely was a running drivetrain before the accident so someone bidding on it might pay more for the drivetrain than you think. Then it might be cheaper to buy one that looks nice but has a blown engine because there would not be much competition for it
demoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 08:29 AM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
loosen the slack adjusters or cage the spring if it air. do make sure you chock your wheels. no need for air
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote