Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2009, 06:59 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Alternator Question?

fix the ground wire and see what happens, it may be the problem or the causse of the problem. if the ground wire wasn,t necessary the cost control weenies at the factory would not have let manufacturing install it.

paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Most electrical problems in a vehicle can be traced to a bad ground wire. Seen it many times that something goes haywired and your already thinking oh this is gonna cost so many dollars when in reality it was only a bad ground.
So fix your groundwire and at the same time clean the other contacts on that alternator and then try again.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Most alternator failures are caused by poor battery connections or a poor ground. All connections need to be bright, shiny and clean. Use new nuts and washers with grease or electric grease. Too much grease will attract dirt. I have also used antiseize on all the connectors. The large bolt should get some anitseize as well as the adjusting bolt. The alternator choice should be based on use. The belt tension is also important as too tight a belt and the bearing will fail early and too loose, belt may slip and voltage will be low. I get hi amp alternators from Ebay. No failures yet........ Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

That sure looks like a run-of-the-mill GM alternator. I'm fairly certain it's a 27SI, but it really doesn't matter. Any parts store worth a darn should have one on the shelf or at WORST the ability to get one within a day. They will probably even have multiple outputs available within the same case and clocking so you can probably get a higher output unit for a nominal increase in price.

*edit* Make sure you get that alternator tested before you spend money on a new one. Our buses have some pretty high electrical demands and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you were discharging the batteries at anything below say 1500 RPM if you had enough stuff on. It's ok and perfectly normal. Modern cars do it all the time, but the computer won't let the idiot light come on when voltage drops so as not to scare drivers.

You might want to take your pulley off the alternator. There's a pretty good chance the new one won't come with a pulley because that alternator was offered in so many different vehicles with so many different belt configurations.
Old 06-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-BIRD
vanguy67: LOL, yes, the rest of the parts are a little envious at the moment... I sure wish the rest of the motor looked as good!
Unless you southern boys are lucky it won't take long for that shiny new alternator to look like the rest of the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguy67
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG-BIRD
Sounds like an honest mechanic! He's worth his weight in gold! You should take ALL of your mechanical business to him. If I ever have a problem in the area he'll get my money....
A good, honest shop is a rare thing these days so they need as much business as we can give them'...so they STAY in business!
Ahhh...we aren't ALL that bad.