Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2020, 01:19 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
Yeah, eyeroll. Suggesting working for Amazon is worse than working in a coal mine clearly shows one has never worked in a coal mine. Crazy hyperbole.
I think Amazon is the worst. They force everyone out of business and their workers
Work for near minimum wage while having to work in poor conditions for a man that would rather replace all his workers with robots. Oh, but free shipping!

Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:30 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Lots of negative comments on here, but every time someone posts a link for something they bought or recommend it’s an Amazon link. If you all have something to say about how you’d never work here, then why are you spending your money there?
Exactly!
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:33 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
Yeah, eyeroll. Suggesting working for Amazon is worse than working in a coal mine clearly shows one has never worked in a coal mine. Crazy hyperbole.
Ya wasn't really seeing that one either
Old 07-21-2020, 01:55 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Ya wasn't really seeing that one either[emoji2]
Yeah but you mentioned trickle down economics LOL.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:56 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

$15 US coverts to $20.36 Canadian and that's a pretty good wage in Canada for non skilled labor no matter if you're digging a ditch, picking fruit or packing Prime shipments. That was my original inquiry.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:57 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
Yeah but you mentioned trickle down economics LOL.
I expect the share value of many companies like UPS have done very well hauling all that Prime crap.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:40 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I have an old retired Uncle that did this for several years. He thoroughly enjoyed it! It gave him something to do for a couple months and got him out of the artic tundra of northeast Wisconsin and into the beautiful winter weather of Phoenix. It isn't meant to support you for the remainder of the year, at least he didn't expect it to. Tried his first year in Reno, didn't like the weather so he went south after that. If I get bored enough in retirement, I'm willing to give it a try. If I don't like it, I'll quit. Problem solved.

I think some people just aren't happy unless they can lodge at least one complaint about everything!
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:41 PM   #28
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I think Amazon is the worst.
And while I don't agree with much of the above (omitted), there's certainly things not to like.

I just wish that the critiques came with some level of recognition- recognition of how much easier it is to criticize, obstruct and pick apart something useful that someone else built than to build a better service that satisfies the critics.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:45 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
I expect the share value of many companies like UPS have done very well hauling all that Prime crap.
I have a hay farmer friend out in the boonies that UPS shows up to 3 days a week just incase he needs something shipped. The driver said the last 5 months have been like the Christmas rush all 5 months! She said if it didn't slow down soon, she would have to cut them back to 1 day a week unless they had a package being delivered just so she can keep up with all the other deliveries.

FedEx stops by the 2 days UPS doesn't, they told him they were going to have to cut that back to 1 day also.

I know I spend a boatload on Amazon every year!
Old 07-21-2020, 03:49 PM   #30
Bus Nut

https://nypost.com/2019/07/13/inside...ouse-employee/

I try to use ebay for online purchases, which has its own issues, but at least it supports small business.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:01 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: International 3800
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
It wasn't long ago that Bezos was personally visiting forums, quite like this one, hawking how his amazon was going to be the next biggest thing. He personally despised ebay and it was his motivator in doing so.

He spoke to everyone like they were a piece of trash and frequently cussed most out. He is a real first class douchebag.

Every week we've heard about 'xyz' filing for bankruptcy. Companies that have been around for eons. Why? They cant compete against a company that has no storefront, and never will.

The American people exclusively destroyed the businesses of the American people and killed all major manufacturing within the usa. It's as simple as that.

You continue to buy that cheap piece of crap trinket from overseas, built with slave labor, then put up a front about how self righteous you are, having the audacity to bitch and moan about the very one you created.

How about being a part of the solution instead of the problem?

Shop local, shop regional, buy american.

Speaking as a USPS employee, who's office delivers over 2,000 parcels from amazon per day on average, get off your sorry ass, carry it to your local store, buy and carry your own damn cases of paper, toiletries, and dog food for christ sake.

Rant over.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:18 PM   #32
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 77
My 70 year old father in law was working in a FedEx warehouse until this Covid mess made him quit to limit his exposure. He only worked 3-4 hours a day and just earned a little extra to supplement his VA disability and Social Security income. He was a great worker but also paced himself because he knew it wasn't worth breaking his body for a company that doesn't care. When he quit they were sad because he was one of their most dependable employees, even at less than half-time. I could see him being interested in something like this. And if the company tried to force more from him than he was willing to give, he would just flip the double bird on the way out the door!!
MNbusboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 04:21 PM   #33
Bus Nut

I have a nephew who works in management for amazon. (Amazon employee) I have a brother-in-law who is a self-starter guide for small business owners on Amazon. (NOT an Amazon employee) Most people don't realize how many small businesses sell their merchandise on amazon. It's a lot!! The Amazon King doesn't sell all that stuff from his own garage. He has provided an avenue for others to sell their stuff to the mass public. He may very well be a dirt bag, but he is a smart dirt bag who had a great idea. For some of us in the rural U.S.A. we can't just run down to the local mom-n-pop shop and grab a bag of dog food. That shop is a 500 mile round trip. If you don't like carrying my package, which has the postage paid that in turn pays your salary, get a different job! I'm sure you have never bought anything that came from a foreign company just to save money. I'm all for "Buy American and Americans work" but when I buy American and it breaks just as fast at the Chinese crap, but costs 4 times as much, I'll but the Chinese crap.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:56 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sraycwb View Post
It wasn't long ago that Bezos was personally visiting forums, quite like this one, hawking how his amazon was going to be the next biggest thing. He personally despised ebay and it was his motivator in doing so.

He spoke to everyone like they were a piece of trash and frequently cussed most out. He is a real first class douchebag.

Every week we've heard about 'xyz' filing for bankruptcy. Companies that have been around for eons. Why? They cant compete against a company that has no storefront, and never will.

The American people exclusively destroyed the businesses of the American people and killed all major manufacturing within the usa. It's as simple as that.

You continue to buy that cheap piece of crap trinket from overseas, built with slave labor, then put up a front about how self righteous you are, having the audacity to bitch and moan about the very one you created.

Speaking as a USPS employee, who's office delivers over 2,000 parcels from amazon per day on average, get off your sorry ass, carry it to your local store, buy and carry your own damn cases of paper, toiletries, and dog food for christ sake.

Rant over.
Exactly right
Thank you.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:59 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Lots of good points here. People love to hate whomever is the current top dog and right now it's Amazon. They're a big target and people are going to take their shots. I've often said the same things many have said here, that if you have a bone to pick with Amazon you first have to stop buying from them! Same thing when everyone was railing against Apple, posting their social media rants from their latest model iPhones! The only reason Amazon is as big as they are is because they've tapped into the two things American consumers crave most, low prices and laziness. Remember in the late 80s into the 90s when big bad Walmart was evil incarnate as they assassinated Main Street America with their unbeatable low prices thanks to more buying power than anyone else. Now Walmart is the underdog to Amazon because Walmart poo-poo'd e-commerce for almost a decade and even stated they didn't want to sink too much into it lest it draw shoppers from their stores. Looks like now they're playing catch-up and cannot hope to unseat Amazon but at least can try to stem the tide.

My concerns with the offer originally posted has nothing to do with how I feel about the business practices of Amazon but rather simple with the volume of negative feedback from their own workforce regarding the working conditions. Ultimately it's up to each individual to decide what they're willing to do and for what compensation but I'm guessing since this offer seems to target RVing retirees I'd hope they consider what they may be getting themselves into by taking advantage of the deal. Also the fact that it's only in specific warehouses suggests they have some considerable staffing issues in those locations to resort to this approach.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:03 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Huge difference between ebay and amazon.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/am...cts-2020-04-23

The USA has traditionally not allowed "vertical integration", so you can make, sell, distribute, deliver, support, finance all up and down the product chain.
This is basically how you get monopoly, nobody can compete once you own the entire chain unless they too have a complete chain. Note that Japan has always been a highly vertical business model, this creates a small number of massive companies that everyone must work for. Sadly, the US is allowing this to happen also.

BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 06:32 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Quote:
Sounds a bit like nationalism to me. Not that I agree / disagree.

Yet another thread is veers straight into politics because people can't resist the urge to preach. You just gotta peddle your wares, you gotta sell whatever resentment/grievance you can to get your edge in. No. Self. Control. Whatsoever.

How's that working out, America? Feel closer to your neighbor now that you've shamed them for receiving a package in the mail?

Quote:

Has any one of you had any experience with the subject matter the OP brings up? None of the opinions about Amazon or sanctimonious lectures are very relevant here. Maybe someone with actual experience with the program could comment on their experience if a mob of haters and defenders didn't start another NERF war.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:23 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I encourage others to consider buying from other retailers either online or in person. When you do, you bolster retailing across the sector rather than erode it. I haven’t bought anything through Amazon in more than 2 years and I can say that better service and equally good prices can be found everywhere.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:36 PM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Engine: 5.9L Cummins 545 Allison T
Coal mine huh..lol
Thanks for the post, everyone who wants or needs the job is glad to read the offer.
By the way, I've seen the inside if a coal mine while miners work...a "bit" different!
Rod75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:42 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

Sounds ok, I will look into it. MIGHT BE GOOD TIE IN TO SELL MY MAGNIFICENT MACHINE. Doh , hit caps instead of shift
orangebus is offline   Reply With Quote