Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-20-2020, 12:49 PM   #1
Bus Nut
 
CMORGANSKOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelpiha Pennsylvania
Posts: 392
Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Amazon Rv Gigs

Has everyone seen this? Amazon is offering camp gigs with paid sites and bonuses
https://www.amazondelivers.jobs/abou...d=SPFBSM2919H6

CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lebanon, Indiana
Posts: 825
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Who wants to work for Amazon?!
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:11 PM   #3
Bus Crazy
 
Drew Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Grayson County, VA
Posts: 1,295
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Who wants to work for Amazon?!
Lots of retirees and other people on a fixed income don't mind the work of seasonal jobs. I think it's like a 3 month commitment, offers some benefits, and let's face it...it ain't brain surgery. Gives people something to do to break up the monotony of full-time RVing. Especially in the winter when sitting in the desert can start to be a drag.
__________________
Our Build: https://dazzlingbluebus.wordpress.com/
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:48 PM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Savannah GA
Posts: 756
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
Lots of retirees and other people on a fixed income don't mind the work of seasonal jobs. I think it's like a 3 month commitment, offers some benefits, and let's face it...it ain't brain surgery. Gives people something to do to break up the monotony of full-time RVing. Especially in the winter when sitting in the desert can start to be a drag.
An Amazon warehouse really isn't meant for retirees though
It's constant lifting and moving. It's 40 hours a week. It might be nights (I was looking at the ad). It's hard work.

I can't figure out how much it pays though. The ad says $15 an hour. But it also mentioned up to 550/ month for rv space? I don't know what they mean specifically with that
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:10 PM   #5
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lebanon, Indiana
Posts: 825
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Given all the complaints and protests by current and former Amazon warehouse workers I cannot imagine anyone with a choice choosing to put themselves through that just for the prospect of a campsite subsidy. Perhaps this is why Amazon is willing to market this way because they can't get anyone local to put up with their chronic staffing drama. And as JDSquared pointed out the work isn't really of a nature that most retirees will relish anyways.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
Drew Bru's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Grayson County, VA
Posts: 1,295
Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
An Amazon warehouse really isn't meant for retirees though
It's constant lifting and moving. It's 40 hours a week. It might be nights (I was looking at the ad). It's hard work.

I can't figure out how much it pays though. The ad says $15 an hour. But it also mentioned up to 550/ month for rv space? I don't know what they mean specifically with that
I'm not sure the Amazon Camper thing is the same as normal Amazon work, it might be...I just don't know. It's geared toward retirees and senior citizens who full-time though, so the work is probably paced accordingly. I've read about it in the past and I remember it being a lot of older folks. That's the extent of my knowledge on it.
It's not my thing, but then again I'm not hard up for cash and I'd rather be fishing.
__________________
Our Build: https://dazzlingbluebus.wordpress.com/
Drew Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 06:52 PM   #7
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Savannah GA
Posts: 756
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Bru View Post
I'm not sure the Amazon Camper thing is the same as normal Amazon work, it might be...I just don't know. It's geared toward retirees and senior citizens who full-time though, so the work is probably paced accordingly. I've read about it in the past and I remember it being a lot of older folks. That's the extent of my knowledge on it.
It's not my thing, but then again I'm not hard up for cash and I'd rather be fishing.
It's in the application though. "Fast paced physical position that gets you up and moving".

I wouldn't be opposed to it necessarily. Hard work for $15.00 an hour though. When I don't need much out of a campsite and don't get much benefit from that allowance.

I found info in the FAQ about that. It's only for approved campsites, they get that money directly. If you spend more you get charged, say if limited WiFi is included. If you spend less you don't get it back to you.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:03 PM   #8
Bus Nut
 
BeNimble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 994
Year: 1999
Amazon is todays version of coal mines. Never, ever, EVER would I work there. At least as a Walmart greeter you see people and say hello, although in Covid world, that might be WORSE than a coal mine.

BTW, my brother-in-law worked at a UPS warehouse, they young guys called him the old man, he must have shortened his life by 10 years working there.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 07:20 PM   #9
Bus Nut
 
CMORGANSKOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelpiha Pennsylvania
Posts: 392
Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
If I were full timing I would do 3 months at amazon. Thatís enough to pay for insurance for the year, probably fuel and maintenance costs and then take the rest of the year off if you live cheaply. It can work for lots of people. Especially since theyíre paying for your camp site.
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:01 PM   #10
Bus Geek
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,104
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
The corporate happy music in that video is on point. And they even found a few workers able to sort of smile through the strain of holding their pee for hours.

I still don't get the arrangement, though. Do you get your RV park fee paid as an additional benefit to a regular hourly rate, or is the RV park thing all you get?
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:14 PM   #11
Bus Nut
 
CMORGANSKOOL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelpiha Pennsylvania
Posts: 392
Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: FE Bus
Engine: DT-466 7.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
The corporate happy music in that video is on point. And they even found a few workers able to sort of smile through the strain of holding their pee for hours.

I still don't get the arrangement, though. Do you get your RV park fee paid as an additional benefit to a regular hourly rate, or is the RV park thing all you get?
The rv site is an added benefit to attract nomadic workers.
CMORGANSKOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:37 PM   #12
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Savannah GA
Posts: 756
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMORGANSKOOL View Post
The rv site is an added benefit to attract nomadic workers.
Kind of an indentured servant vibe isn't it? Only at specified RV parks they pay directly.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 10:38 PM   #13
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Savannah GA
Posts: 756
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMORGANSKOOL View Post
If I were full timing I would do 3 months at amazon. Thatís enough to pay for insurance for the year, probably fuel and maintenance costs and then take the rest of the year off if you live cheaply. It can work for lots of people. Especially since theyíre paying for your camp site.
15 for 40 hours for twelve weeks is $7200. That's not enough for nine months is it? Subtract taxes and food for the twelve weeks you're working. I'm cheap but I'm not sure I'm that cheap.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 07:01 AM   #14
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
Posts: 592
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Lots of youtube videos on this subject.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:37 AM   #15
Bus Geek
 
musigenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,104
Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
15 for 40 hours for twelve weeks is $7200. That's not enough for nine months is it? Subtract taxes and food for the twelve weeks you're working. I'm cheap but I'm not sure I'm that cheap.
You're forgetting the whopping $240 completion bonus.
__________________
Rusty 87 build thread
musigenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #16
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Fraser Valley British Columbia
Posts: 1,028
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
I must be missing something here. Is $15 an hour not considered a decent wage for non skilled labor in the US? Plus some added perks and benefits. This may not be for everyone but I'm sure there are lots of people that could use that kind of money. Sorry I'm just not part of the jump on Bezos band wagon, he has created a great thing for himself that's for sure, but also I imagine many people are very thankful for a job. I'd rather dig a ditch for $15 than sit on my butt collecting the dole. And as an added bonus the trickle down to the economy is huge. I don't believe we should piss and moan about a system that I'm sure 90%+ of the people on this forum use and support.
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:39 AM   #17
Bus Nut
 
BeNimble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 994
Year: 1999
What you are missing is the hundreds of other places you can work.
You would get $20/hour to dig a ditch.

I remember when I was young I worked at this horrible machine shop. When I quit after being berated by the manager when my machine broke, the guys there asked me if I was going to work next door instead. That was as far as their vision went.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 12:22 PM   #18
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Savannah GA
Posts: 756
Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Like I said the pay is all right. Plus a place to live. But it's not that special.

It's definitely not for retirees, and I can't see living the other nine months without working.

I've gotten to meet a lot of Maritime workers living in a port city here. I used to pick them up and take him to Walmart and back. Even the manual labor guys would get 20 grand plus for 4 months. You could triple that easily even without a degree. The engineers would make triple digits and not work half the year. That's the way to do seasonal work

I got old before I got adventurous. It's too bad lol.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:01 PM   #19
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 2,449
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Lots of negative comments on here, but every time someone posts a link for something they bought or recommend it’s an Amazon link. If you all have something to say about how you’d never work here, then why are you spending your money there?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:05 PM   #20
Bus Crazy
 
kazetsukai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Flemingsburg, KY
Posts: 1,454
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Lots of negative comments on here, but every time someone posts a link for something they bought or recommend it’s an Amazon link. If you all have something to say about how you’d never work here, then why are you spending your money there?
Yeah, eyeroll. Suggesting working for Amazon is worse than working in a coal mine clearly shows one has never worked in a coal mine. Crazy hyperbole.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.