Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16
Ammo Can Rocket Stove...

So, I've been thinking about building a wood stove out of an ammo can after Lorna posted the link in the hobo stove thead... While researching some different types I started reading up on Rocket stoves... I figured I could turn the ammo can into a Rocket Stove...

The idea is to create a highly efficient wood burning stove that can generate a lot of heat with minimal fuel, while burning up almost all of the emissions except for co2 and steam...

Basically you build a burn box that you feed the wood into and air gets drafted in from under the wood... It drafts up hits the underside of the stove top and creates a torus sending the hot air around the chamber heating up the stove even more... Then makes it's way out the exhaust... By keeping the hot air in the chamber for longer it makes the stove more efficient... It also makes the wood burn way cleaner...

Here's a simple drawing that gives you an idea of how it works...

Here's the ammo can that I'm gonna use... I plan on building it upside down so the handle on top is still usable...

I have yet to see a stove built like this out of an ammo can, so this is not tested... There are simple wood burners and bbq grills out there, but nothing as far as a rocket type stove... Should be fun...

dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: Ammo Can Rocket Stove...

if the exhaust is tall enough it should work. might have to drop a burning piece of paper down the exhaust initially to get the air flowing?
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Ammo Can Rocket Stove...

Please be careful. Go to the hardware store and get one of those (fairly) inexpensive CO detectors. Watch out for buildup on the inside of your exhaust pipe.... no matter what kind of stove you end up with.

Here are a few more links on the instructables website for wood stoves... you may find some ideas to incorporate into your design (or you may find that some one has done exactly what you plan on...learn from their mistakes)
http://www.instructables.com/pages/s...1&q=wood+stove

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_...arth/me11.html
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote