Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
AmTran RE Owners -- Floorplan Q's

Hey there,

I know there are a couple of AmTran RE owners here and I'm trying to get some ideas on floor plans. I have two kids that I share custody of and I'm really trying to make the most of every inch. I am considering building a modular master bed that is level with the engine compartment. I realize that depending on the thickness of the mattress, I probably will not be able to sit upright in bed. Has anyone else done this?

The only other difficult thing would be the air intakes on either side. I measured 4'3" - 4'4" from side to side. A queen mattress is about 5'. It looks like I could reshape some of that sheet metal just slightly, without compromising air flow through the engine compartment.

I'm all for constructive criticism, ideas, etc.

DamnitAddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Those intakes are evidently there to get to the "cleaner air" present at higher altitude at the rear of the bus. They are one of the main reasons I'm looking for a Thomas. There's a person on the forum somewhere who's deleting those scoops in favor of expanded mesh "windows" on the side access doors, like a lot of other buses have. I'm waiting to see how that works out. I'd like to get a straight-sided bus (Thomases tilt inwards ever so slightly above the belt line) without those scoops. I think I'm looking for not only a unicorn, but a Bluebird unicorn.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 12:46 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Rated Cap: Big Girl
I have a front engine AmTran but a rear engine back end (never seen a 2nd bus like it), and I made my bed over the "box", I have a 12" thick memory foam mattress and I can't even get into bed without standing on something and it's hard to get use to sleeping up that high for me at least.

My suggestion for you would be to get a foam type mattress not 12" thick if your box is as high as mine is and shave a few inches off the sides and fit it in there. I had to cut my other midship bed to 32" wide from a twin and it works well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0134.jpg  
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:34 PM   #4

Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3000 RE
Engine: t444e
My rear hump has two seats built in, and the scoops on the side. The two seats will have fold down desks for my wife and I. The hump will be insulated, and have cushions on it. We are going to use it as a little reading nook to lounge in. I'm going to have some small LED lights, and a few other things back there. I really wanted to have the bed in the very back, but I couldn't figure out a way to do it with a queen size bed.
cameronhirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:43 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronhirsch View Post
My rear hump has two seats built in, and the scoops on the side. The two seats will have fold down desks for my wife and I. The hump will be insulated, and have cushions on it. We are going to use it as a little reading nook to lounge in. I'm going to have some small LED lights, and a few other things back there. I really wanted to have the bed in the very back, but I couldn't figure out a way to do it with a queen size bed.
I like your plan. Sounds like we have the same design in the rear.

I think I can fit a queen up there. We will see. I've been removing screws for the last couple days. I've probably amassed 3-4 lbs worth of screws from the wall panels and I've not even gotten to the ceilings yet. That's another 600+ screws. I'm sure I'll be holding a drill in my dreams tonight.

Ordered some rust converter tonight, should be here tomorrow..
Attached Thumbnails
20171108_162711.jpg  
DamnitAddie is offline   Reply With Quote