Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2021, 04:07 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7 300hp w/retarder
Rated Cap: 46 + 1 36,200 lbs
Any Recommendations for DOT Legal LED Headlights?

I am thinking more specifically of the possibility of using the 7 inch round headlights that can be found in the late-model Jeep Wrangler. I want.to replace the factory units in my 2008 Thomas Saf-t-liner. Has anyone done it? Or have some useful info?

wrenchtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 04:20 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I've done it on a bluebird. Left the stock 4656 for the low beam, but replaced the 4651 high beam with an led unit from phillips. No idea on legality or dot certs, but it brightened up the brights considerably, and since it's only the brights, I didn't think there would be trouble from anyone so long as they're turned off against oncoming traffic. Those were square sealed beam bulbs.

What bulb number does your bus use stock?
Old 11-09-2021, 05:15 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
I've done it on a bluebird. Left the stock 4656 for the low beam, but replaced the 4651 high beam with an led unit from phillips. No idea on legality or dot certs, but it brightened up the brights considerably, and since it's only the brights, I didn't think there would be trouble from anyone so long as they're turned off against oncoming traffic. Those were square sealed beam bulbs.

What bulb number does your bus use stock?
I will have to check it out. I just assumed it was a Sealed beam unit.
Old 11-09-2021, 06:09 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
I purchased

Tuck lite 7" LED for my 1954 ford/wayne, also my 1988 porsche 924 and my 1970 3/4 ton chevrolet.

dot certified.... think it was about $90 for a pair two years ago

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 07:29 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Good luck making 7" round headlights work here.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:51 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Good luck making 7" round headlights work here.

]
Do you know anybody who’s trying to do that? I’m working on this.

Old 11-10-2021, 07:31 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
You have a round sealed beam, but it will still have a number on it or for it. I have 6014 on the shelf, which is 7" round sealed beam, but I'm not sure if that's compatible with what you have.

Highly recommend the led upgrade though......
Old 11-10-2021, 08:39 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchtech View Post
Do you know anybody who’s trying to do that? I’m working on this.

Truthseeker449 has a build thread on here and he discusses headlights for his HDX. He provides before and after pics of what he bought.

I will be going back to review this myself. I just returned from a trip and I discovered that my factory sealed beams suck! They seemed OK driving close to home where I’m familiar, but…

[emoji3522]
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:25 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I assume you mean the JEEP headlights like the ones in my Miata? If so, they should be a direct plug and play replacement. Only difference is how you wire the halos, directions will easily lead you.

Old 11-20-2021, 03:42 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
Nope.
We quit driving at night.
Too many idjits -- apparently suffering from night-blindness -- traveling with their high-beams blazing.
Some idjits are so night-blind, they mount a second set of high-beams.
At some point in the degradation of their vision, for their safety and the sanity of travelers around them, they need to just call a taxi.
An aside:
My 70th birthday is in a few weeks.
I noticed I do two odd somethings -- seemingly utterly without correlation -- while operating the rig.
Show of hands... how many turn down the radio to see better?
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:44 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Amazon has all the LEDs you could need. Most have the DOT stamp of approval. You can get the round lights with the extra lights around the edge and multi colored LEDs too. Just get them aligned so your not blinding the on coming traffic.

Cheers!
Dirtdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 06:54 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtdoctor View Post
Amazon has all the LEDs you could need. Most have the DOT stamp of approval. You can get the round lights with the extra lights around the edge and multi colored LEDs too. Just get them aligned so your not blinding the on coming traffic.

Cheers!

not all DOT seems to be equal.. the lights on ,my Redbyrd are DOT approved as are the lights on my DEV bus and recently the ones i put on my Superior are all DOT approved. . the only set ive been able to align with a really good light pattern and cutoff has been the ones on my DEV bus.. the set in my red bus are '4 sided' and apparently that causes a lot of light pollution.. ive got decent cut off but the pattern is still much wider than I like..

the ones on my Superior are round and they look like they are pointed at the ground but still seem to toss light way up and out..

so i would definitely read the reviews on all the lights you look at as DOT approved doesnt seem to be very uniform .. some of the Big players (read that as melt your credit card spendy) like truck-lite and JW speaker apparently have very good light patterns.. I havent tried them but have seen them in use on Guys' jeeps of various years and they are fantastic.. just pricey..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:10 PM   #13
Skoolie

Relative the the DOT part of this discussion: https://wagan.com/blogs/news/dot-approved

Just one of the first hits when I searched. It seems to agree with my understanding as an automotive engineer.

From the link:

"What if the item has a DOT symbol on it?
On regulated items, the manufacturer places a "DOT" logo on it to state that it meets all of the regulations set forth by the DOT. This is simply the manufacturer claiming that it meets the DOT standard."

Many of the aftermarket LED lights are manufactured offshore. Not a big chance they'd ever be tracked down if their product said "DOT" on it and didn't meet the standards.
ennonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 08:58 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
If they do as good a job on the reflector and lens as they do the DOT logo they may work real good.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:27 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennonne View Post
Relative the the DOT part of this discussion: https://wagan.com/blogs/news/dot-approved

Just one of the first hits when I searched. It seems to agree with my understanding as an automotive engineer.

From the link:

"What if the item has a DOT symbol on it?
On regulated items, the manufacturer places a "DOT" logo on it to state that it meets all of the regulations set forth by the DOT. This is simply the manufacturer claiming that it meets the DOT standard."

Many of the aftermarket LED lights are manufactured offshore. Not a big chance they'd ever be tracked down if their product said "DOT" on it and didn't meet the standards.

judging from the variations in my 3 sets I can surely say with erxperience this is true.. theres no way US DOT allows for that much variation in approved beam patterns..

I suppose theres probably a non-manufacturer youtube site to see which ones have been tested but the few videos I watched seemed to be tied to a seller or manufascturer so I took them wit ha grain of salt..
Old 11-22-2021, 08:45 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

I have E code halogen h-4 in my MBZ 300d and they are very nice. Good flat beam with a right side up kick on low and very straight and narrow high beam. They are made by Hella. One of the premier lighting manufactures in the world. I used the 60/55 watt bulbs. These are not DOT code so technically not legal. The 2 main things to keep in mind is 1 NOT to blind oncoming drivers hence the flat low beam pattern and 2 place the light on the road in front of you. All the lumens in the world are no good if they are going in the air lighting airplanes up.
Old 11-22-2021, 11:42 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
I have E code halogen h-4 in my MBZ 300d and they are very nice. Good flat beam with a right side up kick on low and very straight and narrow high beam. They are made by Hella. One of the premier lighting manufactures in the world. I used the 60/55 watt bulbs. These are not DOT code so technically not legal. The 2 main things to keep in mind is 1 NOT to blind oncoming drivers hence the flat low beam pattern and 2 place the light on the road in front of you. All the lumens in the world are no good if they are going in the air lighting airplanes up.

thats exactly it!!

and the most popular LED';s that i see are those damn squares with 3 rows of bulbs.. i had those for a short time.. all they did was throw light in the air.. street signs looked like LED TVs at night.. but the road was a black hole.. LOL
Old 11-22-2021, 12:44 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

The 7 inch units were real popular on motorcycles for many years. Think BMW R series. I have Bosch H-4 units on my CJ-5. I don't think they are as good as my Hella's but the Jeep won't run as fast so not a problem. I highly recommend the H-4 E-code lights.
Old 11-22-2021, 01:27 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

Here is something to think about. When driving into snow and ice, will the led headlights produce enough heat to keep it melted off the surface of the lens? I know that my halogen lights do.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:31 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
I have the stock headlights and they just aren’t bright. What is a GOOD LED headlight brand? I have H6054 headlamps. They are sealed units.
ElderDumpling is offline   Reply With Quote