Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2020, 10:54 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7 300hp w/retarder
Rated Cap: 46 + 1 36,200 lbs
Anybody on here taken a converted school bus into Mexico?

I don't think I would want to drive through the northern state of the main part of Mexico. The Baja Peninsula however, has always been a kind of RV Play ground for Californians and seemed to be a safer place, but I haven't had any recent information. At one time diesel was subsidized by the Mexican government and so was amazingly inexpensive at the pump. They probably don't do that anymore. Also wondering if they have gone over to low sulfur diesel. I'm pretty sure that my C7 would self-destruct if it was fueled with the old style higher sulfur fuel.

wrenchtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:39 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
That's a hard pass

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:46 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2008
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: CAT C7 300hp w/retarder
Rated Cap: 46 + 1 36,200 lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
That's a hard pass

Those buses look like collateral damage from US drones. I don't think we'd be subject to that in Mexico!
wrenchtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:10 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
All were cartel casualties.

Apparently buses make excellent rolling roadblocks, as illustrated in the 2nd pic. Especially when set aflame.

My google search of "Mexico + bus" was not a confidence-inspiring experience

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_S...nando_massacre

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:20 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have not made the trip in a bus yet but we have pulled out travel trailer well into Sonora. We really love San Carlos.

There is a tent over on rv.net that spends time traveling Mexico in a converted Crown.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:17 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
All my Mexican friends tell me never to go.
But most of my Mexican friends have seen the really bad side of ole Mexico.

We've had lots of folks say they're gonna do this, but I don't think I've seen any mexico road trip threads yet.
Just be careful if you do go. Don't travel at night.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:52 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
theres a gentleman on here who has travelled many times through central america... ewobus I think is his screen name here.. awesome individual and with alot of insight on travelling south of the border..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:26 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchtech View Post
Those buses look like collateral damage from US drones. I don't think we'd be subject to that in Mexico!
Having had Predators and Reapers as part of my responsibilities on my last deployment (killing ISIS) I take offence...

Like anywhere -- there are places to go and places to avoid...
I wouldn't randomly bumblef@ck about and park my bus in Compton or Watts and expect a warm welcome...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:48 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
All my Mexican friends tell me never to go.
But most of my Mexican friends have seen the really bad side of ole Mexico.

We've had lots of folks say they're gonna do this, but I don't think I've seen any mexico road trip threads yet.
Just be careful if you do go. Don't travel at night.
There were a number of times when I lived in southern Calif. that I was hanging on the fence, but would not cross over the border into Mexico. I've just heard and seen too many stories of how lawless it is there and how sometimes our drunken buddies don't make it back. I asked my friend what could I possibly see there, that I can't see here. His reply was "Ever seen a girl f**k a donkey."
Thanks, but I'll pass.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:53 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Having had Predators and Reapers as part of my responsibilities on my last deployment (killing ISIS) I take offence...

Like anywhere -- there are places to go and places to avoid...
I wouldn't randomly bumblef@ck about and park my bus in Compton or Watts and expect a warm welcome...
Amen!

I live in Washington state. There are plenty of places in this state that I avoid alone or after dark as well as a few places I just don't go. Would I tell people "don't visit Washington" because there are some really bad neighborhoods? No. Just use some common sense.

I love traveling Mexico. Our last trip we were headed to Mazatlan and stopped in San Carlos to overnight. We enjoyed it so much that we postponed our departure. One more day... Turned into a month. We have been keeping an eye out for a lot for sale there that fits our wants.

We even considered retiring there. Unfortunately, Mexico has emigration laws that won't let us apply for a resident visa because we don't make enough money.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:59 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
There were a number of times when I lived in southern Calif. that I was hanging on the fence, but would not cross over the border into Mexico. I've just heard and seen too many stories of how lawless it is there and how sometimes our drunken buddies don't make it back. I asked my friend what could I possibly see there, that I can't see here. His reply was "Ever seen a girl f**k a donkey."
Thanks, but I'll pass.
while stationed at camp pendleton i visited Tijuana.and unfortunately got to witness the donkey show and unfortunately will never forget.
and be very careful with the Tequila they sell on the streets?
neither ones were forgettable times and not in a good sense.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #12
Bus Geek

FWIW: Tijuana and the other border towns are not a fair representation of the rest of Mexico. Just as Compton is not a fair representation of the US.

The situation in Mexico, sadly, has changed quite a bit in the 37 years since my first visit but there are still plenty good places to visit.

Take a look at https://forum.sancarlosmexico.com/forum1/
Old 01-06-2020, 08:37 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Low Floor Bus
Engine: Cummins ISL diesel 540 cu in
Rated Cap: 32
"Donkey show", now that's funny right there.

When I was in the service, I was in Juarez, Mexico after midnight, and 4 of us took a taxi for a ride to our hotel. After seeing the same building about four times, I told the driver enough of driving us around in circles and get us to the motel. I am not sure he would have ever stopped.

Personally, I having been to all the "shi&t holes" in the world will never leave the US again.

We are where it's at,

BaconFarms
BaconFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:53 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconFarms View Post
"Donkey show", now that's funny right there.

When I was in the service, I was in Juarez, Mexico after midnight, and 4 of us took a taxi for a ride to our hotel. After seeing the same building about four times, I told the driver enough of driving us around in circles and get us to the motel. I am not sure he would have ever stopped.

Personally, I having been to all the "shi&t holes" in the world will never leave the US again.

We are where it's at,

BaconFarms
Wow that’s some pretty um, how should I say lightly, “ethnocentric” stuff there.

You sound like all my relatives that I won’t talk to anymore.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:56 AM   #15
Bus Geek

If you have access to Netflix check out Expedition Happiness

Old 01-06-2020, 09:12 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Low Floor Bus
Engine: Cummins ISL diesel 540 cu in
Rated Cap: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Wow that’s some pretty um, how should I say lightly, “ethnocentric” stuff there.

You sound like all my relatives that I won’t talk to anymore.

I get to say that after serving for 27 years in the Army and going to places civilians never get to see.

And, I too have relatives I don't talk to.

BaconFarms
BaconFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:20 AM   #17
Bus Geek

To each their own.

I am not bothered a bit by folks that are afraid to visit Mexico and CA. It just means more room on the beach for me

OP,

If you make it to Ambergris Caye, make sure and have a coldie at Crazy Canucks for me

Oh, and you have to try Pirates Pizza. Best pizza I have ever eaten.

Safe travels.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:40 PM   #18

Pretend You Are Chickens

Well, sounds as if some Guys here are getting their ideas from media instead of their own experience. I have been coming to Mexico for decades, am a sola white female of retirement age, and essentially live here for the last twelve years , spending more time in Mexico now than in the US. I have driven sola back and forth, but not in a bus. I am here right now, writing this, in Central Mexico.
I have the issue that having a permanent visa, I cannot bring a US plated bus into Mexico and have not seen one here in good enough shape to warrant getting it.
One thing is true; they do take a beating here, and the roads can be rough. The ideal would be to have a Mexican plated bus to drive back and forth. The same skills of being alert and savvy apply in Mexico as they do in the US and elsewhere.
If you plan to drive any vehicle across the border, do your research, check the requirements, get all the paperwork in order. Also, different crossings vary; do your homework on that. It also shifts from time to time. One rule of thumb to anyone in any vehicle; DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT. That is just asking for trouble. Pretend you are a chicken and find a good place to roost before the sun goes down. Buen Viaje.
taw9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:17 PM   #19
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: GA39530
Engine: DT466E 215hp 620tq
Rated Cap: 40
I have lived and visited Mexico a lot. I am planning to go to Baja in my bus one day. Treat others as you would want to be treated.

Ive never had any issues traveling all over Mexico, but I dont go looking for trouble and I treat the locals with respect.

I once went from Guadalajara to Tijuana by bus at 13 years old.

As a side note, Baja is way more chill than the rest of Mexico.
FamilyCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by taw9 View Post
Well, sounds as if some Guys here are getting their ideas from media instead of their own experience. I have been coming to Mexico for decades, am a sola white female of retirement age, and essentially live here for the last twelve years , spending more time in Mexico now than in the US. I have driven sola back and forth, but not in a bus. I am here right now, writing this, in Central Mexico.
I have the issue that having a permanent visa, I cannot bring a US plated bus into Mexico and have not seen one here in good enough shape to warrant getting it.
One thing is true; they do take a beating here, and the roads can be rough. The ideal would be to have a Mexican plated bus to drive back and forth. The same skills of being alert and savvy apply in Mexico as they do in the US and elsewhere.
If you plan to drive any vehicle across the border, do your research, check the requirements, get all the paperwork in order. Also, different crossings vary; do your homework on that. It also shifts from time to time. One rule of thumb to anyone in any vehicle; DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT. That is just asking for trouble. Pretend you are a chicken and find a good place to roost before the sun goes down. Buen Viaje.
There are people that are getting buses from southern Cali through 422 bus sales. I got a bus from them too. I’m told they are taken to Baja to become transit buses. Maybe someone would title it in MX and sell it to you for just a little markup.