Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2021, 09:09 AM   #1

Anyone on SSI?

So Iím in the process of trying to get on SSI and Iíve been thinking about my future once my Mom passes and have thought about getting a skoolie since my passion is photography Iíve always wanted to travel and take photos. I was wondering if anyone else has a skoolie on SSI?

AutisticGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 09:46 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Correct me if I am wrong. SSI is means tested and SSD is not.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
Correct me if I am wrong. SSI is means tested and SSD is not.
Not sure but SSI is for people like me who were born disabled and have never been able to work while SSDI is for people who have worked but then became disabled
Old 11-20-2021, 10:01 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
My wife was on SSDI and it was different than SSI. My maternal grand mother was trying to get SSI and 2 cars was a big NO. You can own 1 car if I remember right regardless of value with in reason I think. Owning property with a house was okay but not 2. Do you have an attorney that you can access? If your mother is getting up in age you may want to consult with an attorney to get inheritance and SSI advise. It will cost less than having it all blow up in your face. By the way my bus even has a small darkroom for film processing. Rolling your own has its advantages.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
My wife was on SSDI and it was different than SSI. My maternal grand mother was trying to get SSI and 2 cars was a big NO. You can own 1 car if I remember right regardless of value with in reason I think. Owning property with a house was okay but not 2. Do you have an attorney that you can access? If your mother is getting up in age you may want to consult with an attorney to get inheritance and SSI advise. It will cost less than having it all blow up in your face. By the way my bus even has a small darkroom for film processing. Rolling your own has its advantages.
Yeah Iím going to talk to my Disability lawyer and see about a Special Needs Trust as I am my Momís beneficiary for her life insurance money. Do you think this doable or should I get an RV? I like in a bus you take the windows it and have one long wall which I would like to hang my pictures Iím not even sure you can take windows out on an RV.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:34 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Unfortunately for someone on a limited budget, converting a school bus into a RV/camper might not be the best idea.

Not trying to discourage you in any way, merely laying out some things to ponder before getting yourself in too deep.
Here's why:

Unless you have skilled friends that will work for not much money, or you yourself are experienced in demolition of the interior stuff and are good at carpentry, electrical, plumbing, etc. costs get high quickly if you have to pay someone that can safely do the work. Safely being the key word.

Another challenge might be having access to used materials to use in constructing your dream to keep costs lower.

New building materials, tools, equipment, appliances, etc. are pricey, and many a potential skoolie converter has lost interest fast once the high costs of doing a conversion are realized.

If you are set on having a school bus conversion, you might do better trying to find one that someone has given up on for whatever reason(s) although it would also be wise to find out why they want to bail.

Or find a finished one if you want to get going sooner. Although that might cost you big$$ now due to the craze/fad of having a skoolie.
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 05:47 PM   #7

Thanks. Yeah I’m looking at a finished one cause I’m not good at carpentry lol. But I understand the cost, especially buying tires and what not which is why I was wondering if any other skoolie people out there do this on SSI. People on SSI are not allowed more than $2000 in your checking account and can’t save money, unless you do what I’ve heard others do which is take money out and put it in a safe.
Old 11-20-2021, 05:52 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Here's a website link below that might help you get stared on living in a vehicle, if that is your ultimate goal?
They actually give away mini vans to folks on limited budgets a few times/year.

Trick might be to start small and if the lifestyle is for you, work your way up to something bigger.
Anyhoo, here it is, let us know what you think:
https://homesonwheelsalliance.org/
Old 11-20-2021, 05:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
Here's a website link below that might help you get stared on living in a vehicle, if that is your ultimate goal?
They actually give away mini vans to folks on limited budgets a few times/year.

Trick might be to start small and if the lifestyle is for you, work your way up to something bigger.
Anyhoo, here it is, let us know what you think:
https://homesonwheelsalliance.org/
Unfortunately living in a rv/skoolie is the only choice I have once my Mom dies as the Government has made it so people like me, who were born disabled cannot buy a home or an apartment so thank you for the link, I appreciate it
Old 11-20-2021, 05:59 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Check out the link in its entirety.
Read the various articles it has that might touch on exactly what you'll need when the time comes.
Good luck and post up if you get into something...
Old 11-21-2021, 11:34 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
A few questions to give me a better position to answer...
* What are you doing for income since you turned working-age (14?, 16?)?
* Where are you staying?
* How experienced are you with travel and camping in photographable locales?
* How would you rate your capacity for autonomy?
If you are involved as an executor of the estate, how long are you prepared to delay your travels... in some cases, settlement can take a half-decade and longer.
Here is a thought:
Can you imagine the two of you, traveling together, enjoying your precious time together?
My da croaked in 1998.
His last three this side of the dirt, we took him on tours of our beloved Baja, and I am pretty sure he preferred that as opposed to laying in a warehouse, tubed and attended by well-meaning but under-staffed Filipinas.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 08:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeMargeInBaja View Post
A few questions to give me a better position to answer...
* What are you doing for income since you turned working-age (14?, 16?)?
* Where are you staying?
* How experienced are you with travel and camping in photographable locales?
* How would you rate your capacity for autonomy?
If you are involved as an executor of the estate, how long are you prepared to delay your travels... in some cases, settlement can take a half-decade and longer.
Here is a thought:
Can you imagine the two of you, traveling together, enjoying your precious time together?
My da croaked in 1998.
His last three this side of the dirt, we took him on tours of our beloved Baja, and I am pretty sure he preferred that as opposed to laying in a warehouse, tubed and attended by well-meaning but under-staffed Filipinas.
Iím 37 and I have never been able to hold down a job for longer than a few months due to my Autism so I live with my Mom. Because of this Iíve never been able to live life thatís why I want to do this, I want to see the world plus get away from where I live.