Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2023, 06:00 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
As a backyard mechanic and former engineer I NEVER understood torque wrenchs on OLD installations with dirty nuts and threads and stressed threads. Whenever I tried a torque wrench it seemed like I was just torquing dirt and stressed threads! Even old stuff cleaned up still had stressed threads and a bit of dirt...

I became a believer in TIGHT and REALLY TIGHT. Probably oversharing here and gonna get a lot of flak....

matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2023, 06:11 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I've never used well nuts but I have used closed-end rivnuts (to reattach my rear lights) and that's what I would use for anchoring strut to my roof. The advantage of closed-end rivnuts is that they're completely watertight (if put in "wet" with seam sealer around the holes) so you don't have to also glop up the bolts you put into them like you would with open-end rivnuts. The disadvantage is that 1/4"-20 is the largest closed-end rivnut I've ever been able to find, so you'd have to put in more of them than if you were using 5/16" or 3/8" rivnuts.

I guess closed-end rivnuts are sort of similar to well nuts, except it seems that well nuts are only watertight if something is bolted into them, whereas closed-end rivnuts are watertight even with no bolts in them, which might be handy if you temporarily remove or change things up there. Wikipedia also says well nuts are not particularly strong which could be a problem for mounting your solar.
Old 02-27-2023, 07:51 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
I used riv nuts and stainless bolts to mount my awning brackets on the bus. I actually used them again to mount a battery tray in a polaris ranger last week. They work well so long as you install them right and the hole is free of burrs.

Riv nuts are available at my local menards, possibly tsc as well. I've never seen anyone local have the well nuts.
Old 02-27-2023, 05:16 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
my lowes has well nuts but rivnuts are special order even with fastenal and grainger.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 07:09 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Good discussion guys. I’ve been agoogling the new to me terms [emoji3]

[emoji3522]Dave
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 03:37 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Split lock washers really don't make any sense. Their rationale is that they're springs and the upward force on the bolt they provide produces friction that prevents the bolt from turning. But: that is exactly how bolts work on their own, with the torque producing a far larger upward force on the bolt (and correspondingly far larger frictional force) than anything you get from that weak little spring slightly compressed.
I am not sure that I agree with the above statement.

A split lock washer is made of spring steel and should be slightly harder then the other two materials. A split lock washer is made in such a way that the edges are sharp and they dig into the bolt and base material. For that reason a lock washer should not be overtightened because that would flatten the sharp edge. For higher torque there is the high collar split lock washer.
You will feel its effect if you untighten the nut. There is a small hesitation in the beginning because of the shearing of the sharp edge.
So in theory you should use a lock washer only once.

A lot depends on the application and then of course knowledge and experience of the person who uses them.

In Ross's wind turbine generator example more issues are important.
This is a high dollar equipment in a very complicated environment and it would be simply not worth the risk to use a lock washer if a better, albeit more expensive solution is available.

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 04:19 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
i dont like the well nut idea in just one layer of sheet metal because it is a rubber compression outer and i see them just getting cut and ending up useless.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 08:00 PM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
ive never had a split lock washer come loose in a low heat vibration area.... however I wont reuse them.. I have indeed notice them flattened out compared to new ones.. and I figured part of their purpose was creating an "edge".. so once I loosen one up its gone and I replace withe a new one..

that said ive also never had jam nuts come loose either..

I tried split lock washers on the exhaiust manifold bolts of my DTA360 that constantly come loose.. no dice.. and the split lock washers are flat as a pancake after a short time.. they apparently dont like the high heat under tension they give up...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lock washers, loctite, split washers