Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2021, 11:42 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Cheverolet
Chassis: 3500 Express
Engine: 6.0L V8 Gas
Are there newer short busses that are good? Where can I find more info?

I see lots of info and research on traditional school busses but where can I find info on short busses like Fords, Chevy, and GMC? Does the same pre-2007 rules apply to them or are there different things to be concerned about?

I've seen some for sale, but the only thing I can find is to stay away from the 6.0L Ford engine? Are there any specific resources or websites to learn more about these? I'm looking for a 5-6 window shorty and feel like I don't know enough to purchase yet.

buslivesmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:46 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by buslivesmatter View Post
I see lots of info and research on traditional school busses but where can I find info on short busses like Fords, Chevy, and GMC? Does the same pre-2007 rules apply to them or are there different things to be concerned about?

I've seen some for sale, but the only thing I can find is to stay away from the 6.0L Ford engine? Are there any specific resources or websites to learn more about these? I'm looking for a 5-6 window shorty and feel like I don't know enough to purchase yet.
Aside from the ford diesels after the 7.3, The newer van chassis buses are the only ones I'd look at from 2004 on. I've got a buddy looking for a nice GM chassis shorty with a 6.0 gas engine. The gas engines are a much safer choice after 2003. Find the nicest, newest GM shorty you can get a deal on and enjoy!
That's my 2cents on it.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:31 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
the van cutaway chassis is what you are looking for?
the ford diesel 6.0 needs extra work to be reliable.
the ford 6.5 diesel was a law suit from ford to international and ford split from international.
the chevy 6.0 gas motor or the ford v10 gas motor are good choices as well as the respective ford 7.3 diesel or chevy duramax after the recalls around 04-05? i think?
had a company work truck with an early 2000 duramax work truck that no body wanted to drive because it would leave you stranded?
one it had never gone to a recall?
two none of the previous drivers had a clue about diesel?
it stranded me twice and i was always able to get it going?
then i put my mechanic tools in it along with my work tools.
the third time it stranded me i told it? you are either going to start or blow up? after hours worth of work on the roadside.
it started with lots of black smoke.
still running to this day?
the company has gotten me a new truck since then but i am hearing its acting up again and a shop wants 9000$ to fix it?
injection pump and injectors? but it still runs just fine?
boss man is willing to sell it to me for 1800$ but can probably get him down to 1000$
especially since my son hired on with the company as the companies mobile mechanic?
that i kinda pushed the company for because they only work on stuff when it breaks.
and my son i raised tinkering and he became a ford mechanic until a new service manager pissed all of the mechanics off and they all walked away because several weeks of him wanting to BS the service work.
now my son works with me in commercial/industrial refrigeration and mobile mechanic as the company needs.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 02:32 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
sorry?
looks like my rambling hijacked the thread?
sorry OP?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 03:14 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Quote:

Be ready to drop some money on it though. Everyone is after these shorties these days.
This one for 12k
2005 gmc with the 6.0 has engine with 60k milesClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210516-161227.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	57502
Old 05-16-2021, 03:23 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by oricha1984 View Post
Be ready to drop some money on it though. Everyone is after these shorties these days.
This one for 12k
2005 gmc with the 6.0 has engine with 60k milesAttachment 57502
I've seen several go for like $3500-$5500 on Govdeals.
Not with 60k miles though.

Me personally I'd rather have a plain white panel van that blends in everywhere. Sure- its got a wee bit less room and no windows, but they're stealthy.
Old 05-16-2021, 03:25 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post

Me personally I'd rather have a plain white panel van that blends in everywhere. Sure- its got a wee bit less room and no windows, but they're stealthy.
Prices are crazy man.
Explain this to me.

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDeta...ampaign=outbid
Old 05-17-2021, 07:54 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: Cheverolet
Chassis: 3500 Express
Engine: 6.0L V8 Gas
Quote:
This one for 12k
2005 gmc with the 6.0 has engine with 60k milesAttachment 57502

Isn’t the 6.0 the engine to stay away from in those small busses?
buslivesmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:40 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
GMC 6.0 is a gas engine well liked. The 6.0 powerstroke diesel is the trouble one
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:09 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Isn’t the 6.0 the engine to stay away from in those small busses?
6.0 GM gas engine is as good as it gets in a modern van shorty.
Old 05-17-2021, 10:34 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: GM gasoline 8 cyl
Rated Cap: 29
In the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, I’ve had great luck with Hudson Bus Sales. They get a lot of small and midsize MFSAB buses as trade ins and have fair (but not cheap) prices. Honest and great to deal with. I am currently in the process of buying a 2009 5 window Chevy Collins super bantam with only 38k miles from them.

Amanda McClure is a great salesperson to deal with: amandam@hudsonbussales.com
Old 05-17-2021, 02:00 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:

3500-5500. Probably high mileage and needing work. I've been following prices for a while now. And that's not the rule. A clean Chevy/GMC with low mileage gas engine will sell expensive in auction. I'm sure you can get an old Chevy with the 6.5 diesel engine for cheap. But that is comparing apples and oranges.

Yeah, I've thought about a promaster or transit high top and extended. But I'm the classic "I want something for nothing". Can't bring myself to spend that much money on a toy. I guess is the "refuge mentality". LOL
Old 05-22-2021, 04:12 PM   #13
Almost There

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3500
Engine: GMC
Rated Cap: 8 handicapped
First thing I want to say is that any vehicle is a hole in the road you can expect to pour money into. If money is a big worry to you - hitch hike. I started thinking about a skoolie a few years back. When the virus canceled my plan to pour $10,000 into another bike tour of Europe I decided that future travel would likely be more close to home it was time to have a closer look at skookies. I have a class B that I'll probably get $25 or more for when the skoolie is ready so I'd happily put that much into it. It's looking to me now like I'll come out ahead $10 or 15. I live in southern Ontario and there is a major carrier of kids here -Sharp Bus Lines. I went round to their Simcoe yard. They didn't have anything I wanted to consider. The shop manager took my number and called me back a week later saying there were some units I might be interested in at the Brantford yard. In the end it took a couple of calls and $1500 to get a 2007 GMC gimpy shorty. 180+ km and all the service records going back to new. I've put more than that into a lithium array. But I can't see the whole deal coming to more than $10 or 15. $200 for a fridge. Another 2 for a toilet. A bunch for plywood. So I really have a hard time understanding how everyone is having so much trouble finding a unit. I'm tempted to think you all want some kind of guarantee. Again, think "hole in the road". No point in pussy footing around the roulette wheel if you're afraid to lay your money down. If you lose a few grand just walk away wiser. Laugh it off.
jackdebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 04:28 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdebear View Post
First thing I want to say is that any vehicle is a hole in the road you can expect to pour money into. If money is a big worry to you - hitch hike. I started thinking about a skoolie a few years back. When the virus canceled my plan to pour $10,000 into another bike tour of Europe I decided that future travel would likely be more close to home it was time to have a closer look at skookies. I have a class B that I'll probably get $25 or more for when the skoolie is ready so I'd happily put that much into it. It's looking to me now like I'll come out ahead $10 or 15. I live in southern Ontario and there is a major carrier of kids here -Sharp Bus Lines. I went round to their Simcoe yard. They didn't have anything I wanted to consider. The shop manager took my number and called me back a week later saying there were some units I might be interested in at the Brantford yard. In the end it took a couple of calls and $1500 to get a 2007 GMC gimpy shorty. 180+ km and all the service records going back to new. I've put more than that into a lithium array. But I can't see the whole deal coming to more than $10 or 15. $200 for a fridge. Another 2 for a toilet. A bunch for plywood. So I really have a hard time understanding how everyone is having so much trouble finding a unit. I'm tempted to think you all want some kind of guarantee. Again, think "hole in the road". No point in pussy footing around the roulette wheel if you're afraid to lay your money down. If you lose a few grand just walk away wiser. Laugh it off.
Awesome post.
Please link the shorties for 1500.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:28 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
3500-5500. Probably high mileage and needing work. I've been following prices for a while now. And that's not the rule. A clean Chevy/GMC with low mileage gas engine will sell expensive in auction. I'm sure you can get an old Chevy with the 6.5 diesel engine for cheap. But that is comparing apples and oranges.

Yeah, I've thought about a promaster or transit high top and extended. But I'm the classic "I want something for nothing". Can't bring myself to spend that much money on a toy. I guess is the "refuge mentality". LOL
I've seen 6.0 Collins bodied shorties go for 5 or less with less than 200k on them. Usually 120-170k. I just watched a friend of mine cheap out on bidding and missed a really nice one that went for 4500.
That's just what I'm seeing.

For the price of the 'low mile' shorty's you're getting into class-b prices and can get a heck of a van for those prices too.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:30 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:

Just watched some friends convert a bus, sell it for 40k and buy a really nice Sprinter. They're loving life.

I kept buying and selling buses till I got exactly what I always wanted. Like that guy was saying... its really a roulette table. I crapped out once in 6 or 7. not too bad.
Old 05-22-2021, 04:34 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Quote:
Just watched some friends convert a bus, sell it for 40k and buy a really nice Sprinter. They're loving life.

I kept buying and selling buses till I got exactly what I always wanted. Like that guy was saying... its really a roulette table. I crapped out once in 6 or 7. not too bad.
Sprinter? I thought post 05 they suck ass with all the emissions stuff
Old 05-22-2021, 04:36 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:

Well, I just sold my van. Looking to buy something.
Found and older gmc class B for 10 k but was gone fast
Old 05-22-2021, 05:07 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
Sprinter? I thought post 05 they suck ass with all the emissions stuff
IDK, they're so expensive they're off my radar.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:08 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Well, I just sold my van. Looking to buy something.
Found and older gmc class B for 10 k but was gone fast
Have you seen the Ford ambulance van in NM? 460 with 4x4!
Pretty cool, but that's gonna go for at least 7500 or more.