Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
Almost There

ARG!!! Glow PLUGS - help

I have a 1986 International shortbus. Its got a 6.9L V8 diesel in it.

I figured some glow plugs were out cuz it had been hard to start once it started getting cold. I finnaly took them out and 6 were bad out of 8 (it would no longer start in the morning). Ive had my bus since June, so I figured I would replace all 8.

The glow plugs that I removed were several differnt brands (obviously never replaced all at the same time). However most of them were Champions "CH-84". So I went to napa and had them cross-referenced to a brand they carried.

Bought 8 new glow plugs, and installed them. Engine started like she never started before, one turn on a cold day, and I was good to go. It was nice.

So a few days go by, and I noticed its hard to start again. Although its still easier than it was. I figured I would check the glowplugs again. Although I havnt removed them yet, I think about 4 or 5 of them are bad!!!!

I JUST BOUGHT THEM! this is so annoying. What could be burning out my plugs??

The relay? the Glow Plug Module?
Or were they just shitty plugs, and I should take em back to the store?

ParadigmCrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:20 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Take them back, problem or no problem with the vehicle for new ones. Chances are they will give you another set for free. The second replacement under a warranty gets to be a bit more difficult.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:56 PM   #3
Almost There

Yeah, I took them back. The guys at this napa are always cool with me, and I usually get good discounts.

I only brought the bad ones back (being that I had to dig through the trash for the boxes and Recpiet that I threw away!! I only found 7 of the boxes ;).

I just bought a new glowplug module on ebay for $85! (not bad compared to everywhereelse)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &rd=1&rd=1

Even has the International PN listed in the auction!

If I had thought the module was bad before hand. I would have bought the other deal this guy had which was 8 plugs and the module for $130. (not a bad deal considering most places I was quoted about that price for just the module)
ParadigmCrime is offline   Reply With Quote