Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2011, 06:32 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89
Re: Ask, Convert, Then Run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
... But Lorna, since you asked the question, I noticed you had about a 5-year gap in posting here. I just checked PUX, and found you had moved on and hadn't posted there in almost 8 years. In the meantime you were probably spending time on the coach conversion site matching changes in your living arrangements, because that may have been more relevant at the time...
We sold the popup and so I quit posting on popup forums (I don't remember PUX... but I do remember getting kicked off the Apache popup forum... because I called a major poster a Luddite). I did not realize I had originally signed up here in 2004! To be honest, as I get older, time runs together. I can't believe that we lived in TN for 10 years (we dumped the house in 2005). I can't believe we have been full-timing in the Class C since Fall 2006. We moved out to NM in summer of 2009. This was a temporary stay. In a couple more weeks we will head EAST!!! Only 100 miles, but it's still heading East!

I can't believe my kids just turned.... 25 years old!!! Heavens, I'm getting old!

I also can't believe that you dug up all that on me!

https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #22

I'm new here but have been frequenting forums since the 90's. It's the same everywhere and since forever.
A lot of people get into a new avocation - learn about it - do it - or don't do it - then move on to another. I can be like that although I've settled down a lot in my later years :~)

I think that the number of ads offering stalled projects says it all. People start out all full of enthusiasm - do the tear out of whatever it is - start in on the build-out and realize that it's not easy - nor is it necessarily a lot of fun. The end result can be fun - but the process is grueling and that's where a lot of people give up. You really see that with vintage campers.

I'm about 80% finished doing a makeover on my '84 Winnebago Elandan - which I think is as close to a bus as an RV can get. Steel skeleton - crowned aluminum roof - GM 454 P-30 chassis - no sticks or staples. This was built as an RV and just doing a makeover has been an arduous task. I've had friends come over and help out for a day and they walk away dazed and confused from working in the tight spaces where nothing is flat or straight or level.

I've come here because I seem to be brain damaged. After the Winnie is finished I want to do it again - to implement the skills I've acquired and add to them. Will it be a Skoolie - a Coach - another RV - I dunno. I'm here to listen and learn. I want a Diesel - my wife wants slides - diesels with slides are mighty spendy :~(

So I guess to summarize - I wouldn't hold it against those who hit and run. Forums are like taverns. All sorts of people come in...some become acquainances - some become friends - some hang around for an evening and are never seen again - some get tossed out on their ear.

Forums - they're just like life
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:40 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Crowl

So I guess to summarize - I wouldn't hold it against those who hit and run. Forums are like taverns. All sorts of people come in...some become acquainances - some become friends - some hang around for an evening and are never seen again - some get tossed out on their ear.

Forums - they're just like life

Nailed it!
syke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:54 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2L Detroit Diesel

I am one of those that has pulled a hit and run on this forum. Although I was a lurker. I no longer lurk because while this is an excellent resource for building the bus it lacks on how to full time on it. I learned through the school of hard knocks and trial and error.
My 1972 bus has many technical 'issues' crop up. So I will check in from time to time for help. Anyhow, I think this is an excellent niche forum and am very thankful I found it almost 3 years ago. I never did cover my bus build up on this site but I did at my blog. trustedcompass.com
trustedcompass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustedcompass
... while this is an excellent resource for building the bus it lacks on how to full time on it. I learned through the school of hard knocks and trial and error. My 1972 bus has many technical 'issues' crop up...
I think a lot of folks leave because there is so little on full-timing in skoolies and the situations that arise from full-timing. I do wonder how many here do full-time. I use Escapees as my biggest source of info for full-timing. While escapees is probably the best source of info for full-timers, there is a bias. It seems that most folks in the RVing community think you need to be retired and financially secure to go full-time. If you do work, you are supposed to "workamp" (trade your hours for your site... I made more $$ working in the commercial tomato fields back when I was 9 & 10 years old) or you volunteer and get your site for "free". You are supposed to spend your summers in one place and your winters in either Quartzite or the Rio grade Valley. They think you need to have the most expensive rig you can buy. To suggest that you have a vintage RV or (possibly worse) self-convert a bus, cargo trailer, or other "alternative" structure is inconceivable to them. For people who are living an "alternative lifestyle", they are very rigid. What I like about the skoolie forum is that they do think outside of the box. We really do not fit the generally accepted image of "full-time RVers". We have our own business (started out full-timing while still in construction and when that pooped out, we built our food cart) and I do not see a time when we will fully retire... unless I win that lottery! We currently live in a 36 yo Class C (until Saturday when we move into the skoolie). We have RVed "long-term" thru winters in GA, NC, TN, NM & TX. My daughter works as an assistant manager and she gets the Class C when we leave. She has been full-timing with us since we left NC in 2009. She loves it. She is far from old enough to retire (25 yo). She wants a skoolie.

I would love to see more info here on folks who are full-timing. I would like to see more info on how the full- and part-timers are making $$.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84

I think this is a wonderful site and will forever be indebted to it, it's contributors and monitor. Although I don't visit it as much as I should I do come back here from time to time to see if I have any questions directed toward my conversion or me personally and see "whatz up". I finished my conversion in 2006 after one year of relentless work with only a finished project and enjoyment of the fruits of my labor in mind. My conversion is done, we have been enjoying it 7 or 8 times a year since then but don't need to come here and glean any more knowledge for the most part. Sometimes I like to see how others have tackled a certain problem and how my idea rates compared to another or just learn something new. I won't give up on this site so you will see posts from me every now and then when I have something worth saying, otherwise I just check in and do some reading.
I agree most don't realize the work, level of skill and knowledge base involved in doing such a thing as converting a vehicle from one format to another. The other side of the coin is the knowledge acquired in doing a conversion of this magnitude, the confidence that comes with it's completion and the changes (wanted and unwanted) it brings to your life once you get to enjoy your reward for your tenacity. I've seen in other posts that some even want to do another conversion, probably to utilize the new ideas brought to light while enjoying the "old" one. Luckily I would change little if I had to do it again.
As far as "full timers" I don't see this site as necessarily being the best one (not that I know a better one) but the knowledge here can be used for any conversion not just part timers. The thing about "full timers" is that each case has different needs and circumstances and should use the knowledge here with that in mind, there is no certain "way" to do a full time conversion, yours won't be the same as the next guys.
People will come and go for different reasons but lets hope this site has plenty of members to keep it knowledgeable and interesting for the conversions of the future. sportrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote