Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2017, 03:16 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Auction find, advice?

Considering:
Local Auction

Year: 2000

Make: Thomas

Mileage: 249,808

VIN: 1T88U3B2XY1083920

Engine: ISB Cummins 7

Transmission: MD-3060

Capacity: 84 Passenger***

Condition:* Bus has leaking steering gear box

Below are some notes I conjured up which speak to the reliability and longevity of the engine and trans. Correct me if I'm wrong but the repair it needs and the mileage shouldn't be a deal breaker being that's it's all good under the hood. Am I right? Auction guy says he'll let it go if it's in the neighborhood of $4k.

"The MD3060 is a four speed with overdrive and* lock-up torque converter. Go with a trany that has the* lock-up torque converter. You will usual get better gas millage over all and engine braking on the down hills. MD3060 on 1998 and newer. I also read that the MD3060 has the internals to be re-programmed with 2 overdrives. Making it a six speed."
*What bus to get, that is the question, part tali (two) | the journey visvi

*"I have an ISB in a 34' Newmar. On my last trip I got 8.73 mpg over 2760 miles towing a 4x4 extended cab ranger with 3 motorcycles (dirt bikes) and traveling 60-65 mph. It does slow considerably on the long steep climbs, but even there I manage to pass a lot of the semi trucks. I don't how much difference the extra 4 or 5 feet will make but obviously it will make some difference. If you can handle being a little slower on hills then I think you could be very happy with the ISB"

From pilotengines.com: A solid, high-torque, low-RPM six-cylinder engine, the Cummins B-Series is found in many over-the-road and industrial applications. The Cummins 6ISB, or Interact System, is the next generation Cummins engine and is a fully electronic engine.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

angelicadevries21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:34 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
At $4k they ought to put a new steering gear on it for you. If the tires are old too, it would be a deal breaker for me. Also the rust issue if there's any showing.

I think you could do better at auction. Maybe a lot better.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:00 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
VIN check shows it as a 5.9 Cummins.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:07 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
VIN check shows it as a 5.9 Cummins.
thank you it took me awhile to figure that out on my own but I was 98% it was the 5.9

Old 06-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I inquired about the tires and service records go tho reply "*The tires on the school buses are usually in good condition. The buses are all on a maintenance schedule so stuff like that is usually not a problem. Just give me a heads up when you would like to come down and look at the service records." what else to ask

Old 06-16-2017, 04:45 PM   #6
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
I'd go for it. It will scare a few away cuz steering, but to me it's just a sign of an honest seller who discloses faults. Parts available. Bus being sold because of age, not steering.

That said, leaky box *could* be result of alignment issues or impact, but doubtful on bus carrying precious cargo: kiddies.

If everything else is what you want in a vehicle, and not too far, I'd get it. I will tell you auctions are extremely addictive.

They will never vouch for anything- why should they, they don't reap rewards of higher sale price vs risk of unhappy customer.

Best of Luck !
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote