Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2005, 07:24 PM   #1
Skoolie

Engine: CAT 3208 NA
Automatic chains

So my new bus has automatic tire chains, like this only bigger:

http://www.onspot.com/

Has anybody used these? do they work or should I just remove them and save the weight?

Sorry, it was -5 degrees out when I went to pay for the bus so I didn't take pictures, when I get it home I'll fully document the "before" state.

Cheers,

Jake.

Old 01-19-2005, 03:42 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Thats pretty cool, but so far I have never had a problem getting around in my bus even a couple weeks ago when everything was turned to ice here in the midwest. (A friend needed a ride someplace so I took the bus out to pick her up as a joke) Four huge driving tires and the large ground clearance on school buses sure does make them drive through about anything.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:47 PM   #3
Almost There

Chains

Wow , I would say those are pretty cool. If you got um I certainly don,t know why you wouldn't use um. Just for one or two spots here and there it sure beats chaining up. If you are concerned about weight , don't be. Just remember with the seats out of your bus and no little fog breathers inside the bus is running empty even with your add ons. I took nearly 3000lbs out of my 78 Crown "Farther" before the interior add ons.

Later, J.B.
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 10:25 PM   #4
Bus Geek

we have insta chains on one of our fire trucks. They're way cool. I wouldn't spend the $2,500 bucks to put them on my bus, but if they were already there, i wouldn't take them off.

I would operate them occasionally just to make sure they don't freeze up from lack of use. If they're like the ones i'm familiar with, there is one or two grease zerks for each one.

I've driven my bus in several inches of snow. Even got plowed in by the snow plow guy once, and i've never had any trouble with my bus. The biggest advantages are weight and ground clearance when it comes to snow. You never know when those instachains might come in handy though.