Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2020, 09:39 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6 cylinder diesel
Bad timing?

Hello all. My wife, kids and I have been working on our 89 Thomas Skoolie for a little over a year now. Water, solar, gas stove, bathroom, and custom sound system (one of my personal favs) are all in place. Everything works as it should and it is looking pretty cozy to live in. We are now on our last months rent come April and hope to be on the road by the 25th. That is, if the government will allow us to leave the state. I’m afraid that the way things are going with this plandemic, we will be unable to park the bus in the national forest areas, campgrounds etc. My question is for all the road dwellers out there. Where are you guys parking? Is life even harder now? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

fordthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Go someplace and stay there, isolated from contact as much as possible.

Totally irresponsible to go from place to place,, at least for the next few months.

Really should be properly enforced, but of course "impractical" the way our society is structured.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:59 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
I am not a full timer or nomadic but based on what I'm seeing on the facebook groups lots of the skooliers with no homes are in paid campgrounds or leasing space on private property.

It's my understanding that not all states have closed off their public land, fyi.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:25 PM   #4
Bus Geek

My point is not where you settle in.

Just that you stay put.
Old 03-29-2020, 02:36 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordthomas View Post
Hello all. My wife, kids and I have been working on our 89 Thomas Skoolie for a little over a year now. Water, solar, gas stove, bathroom, and custom sound system (one of my personal favs) are all in place. Everything works as it should and it is looking pretty cozy to live in. We are now on our last months rent come April and hope to be on the road by the 25th. That is, if the government will allow us to leave the state. I’m afraid that the way things are going with this plandemic, we will be unable to park the bus in the national forest areas, campgrounds etc. My question is for all the road dwellers out there. Where are you guys parking? Is life even harder now? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Staying put is good advice. However, a read through the COVID-19 thread may help as a few fulltimers have posted their thoughts.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/co...ies-30614.html
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:06 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
We're full time and kinda wish we had a familiar place to hunker down. If at all possible, I'd highly recommend staying on someone's property or continue on in your current place. Everything's in flux out here. We just got booted from Lake Mead, as they shut it down. Most (all?) NP campgrounds are being closed, as are Corps of Engineer campgrounds and many BLM campgrounds. BLM land is still open, at least for now, and that's how we're rolling. There's no interstate travel restrictions, at least for now, but who knows if/when that'll change. Finding a boondocking spot can get pretty tricky and stressful, but just as stressful is finding a source of water and a place to dump your grey water.
My advice is, if possible stick it out close to home until this blows over.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:38 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 6 cylinder diesel
My family’s situation is forcing us to be on the road. It’s not like we are taking a fun vacation during this stupid virus and panic among Americans. We can’t stay put. We have no home to stay in, and no land to park on. Also, can’t stay in the state because of the cold winters. Going south to find land is our only option. I’m not going to have my family stay in a bus during a cold winter. This doesn’t look like it’s going to blow over any time soon. Government is tightening its grip from day to day. It has nothing to do with being irresponsible, we literally have no choice but to travel.
fordthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 11:07 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
My family’s situation is forcing us to be on the road. It’s not like we are taking a fun vacation during this stupid virus and panic among Americans. We can’t stay put. We have no home to stay in, and no land to park on. Also, can’t stay in the state because of the cold winters. Going south to find land is our only option. I’m not going to have my family stay in a bus during a cold winter. This doesn’t look like it’s going to blow over any time soon. Government is tightening its grip from day to day. It has nothing to do with being irresponsible, we literally have no choice but to travel.
There's a lot of BLM land out in the desert west. Arizona, Nevada, Texas, (possibly?) Southern California, Utah (though BLM land around Moab is closed). I don't know what the south is like, as far as public lands, but I don't think there are vast swaths of it like there is out west. There might be private land in the south that you can rent?

Regardless, it sounds like you're forced to head out, so try to keep up to date on land closures/restrictions. They change on a dime. We had 1 day notice when they closed Lake Mead. Have some contingency plans...think 2 steps ahead. I just know that we're on pins and needles the last few weeks and wish we had a home base. That's why I recommended staying put if at all possible. We don't have a home base, so we're winging it and hoping things don't get super restrictive. There's a lot of full time nomads out there and we're all in the same boat and we're all trying to look out for each other. One positive aspect of this is that we're getting our social-distancing in spades! We're currently 3 miles from the closest person.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
There's a lot of talk of limiting evictions during the crisis. Not sure of any actions yet, and that's going to vary state-by-state.

But your landlord also isn't likely to turn over his property to a new renter real quick. You might be able to stay where you are for another month or two. If you ask.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 06:47 PM   #10
Bus Geek

It may soon get tough to cross state lines. You will want to watch closely to see if you can even think about leaving Wisconsin. It is a LONG time until April 25th ... use the time to research your options.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:26 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
I got a letter from The Guernsey County Health Department..(They are the licensing authority for campgrounds in Guernsey County, OHIO.
The letter says that campgrounds should be closed with the exception of people who use the camp as their permanent residence.
The state park near us is closed as well.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:39 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
I got a letter from The Guernsey County Health Department..(They are the licensing authority for campgrounds in Guernsey County, OHIO.
The letter says that campgrounds should be closed with the exception of people who use the camp as their permanent residence.
The state park near us is closed as well.
That is a bit of good news for the "residents". I am going to post this on the COVID-19 thread.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:37 PM   #13
Bus Geek

I'll repeat, get to wherever you're going ASAP

Do not just wander around taking your time looking for the ideal place

and then hunker down, stay in place.

Once you've established a "permanent" residence, get your DL local maybe rego

then they may find it difficult to make you move on
Old 04-04-2020, 03:31 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1967
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Dodge S500
Engine: Dodge 318
You are very fortunate to be able to be self sufficient. Look around for a private campground and rent a space for a couple months in your own state. Actually this will be a great chance to work out all the kinks in your systems, without the hassle of traveling. You and the rest of us will be all the better for it. Ian T staying put in Georgia
Unpluggedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 04:03 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
Yeah, we’re visionaries for getting buses. These things are our escape pods.
I’m basically a watchman on a farm. It’s me and the cows with the owner coming every other day to tend them. Some farmers want someone to watch over things. It helps that I’ve known the farmer for over 20 years and we are friends but I’ve had several situations like this where I haven’t known the people so well.
One problem with old farms is the rats and rodents. And cow poop. I’d prefer a wild natural place and was going to go camping for a couple months but now I’m not sure. I think I’ll bunker down in place as that is what we are being asked to do.
If I was was you I’d find a peaceful spot on public land and hunker down. I’m guessing there’s maybe a million other people doing the same across the country. The move every 14 days rule might not be enforced.
One advantage of old farms is it’s a good place to work on rigs. And my junk blends in with all the other junk. I was allocated a 50’x100’ uncovered but walled space to fill up with as much junk as a want lol. Now there’s two buses, two motorhomes, and five small trailers. If something happens to me my friend can have it all.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:41 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
If you are set up to boondock I've got. 40 acres in SW New Mexico. No utilities. You are welcome to come. If you've never done off grid living you might find it a bit of an adjustment. Ruth and I love our way of life, but we know its not for everyone.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:12 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-N-Ruth View Post
If you are set up to boondock I've got. 40 acres in SW New Mexico. No utilities. You are welcome to come. If you've never done off grid living you might find it a bit of an adjustment. Ruth and I love our way of life, but we know its not for everyone.

I went to school in Las Cruses and drove west many times headed to 'Vegas. Beautiful country where you are!
Old 04-05-2020, 01:21 AM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Some Wal-Mart's are still allowing overnighter. The Demming Wal mart is very RV friendly. There is a vacant K-mart next door as well. As others have suggested There is always the BLM option as well.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:23 AM   #19
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
I went to school in Las Cruses and drove west many times headed to 'Vegas. Beautiful country where you are!
When Ruth and I were young we had friends in the desert. We loved to visit but thought we never wanted to live there. Now we can't imagine being any where else.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:25 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari View Post
Yeah, we’re visionaries for getting buses. These things are our escape pods.
I’m basically a watchman on a farm. It’s me and the cows with the owner coming every other day to tend them. Some farmers want someone to watch over things. It helps that I’ve known the farmer for over 20 years and we are friends but I’ve had several situations like this where I haven’t known the people so well.
One problem with old farms is the rats and rodents. And cow poop. I’d prefer a wild natural place and was going to go camping for a couple months but now I’m not sure. I think I’ll bunker down in place as that is what we are being asked to do.
If I was was you I’d find a peaceful spot on public land and hunker down. I’m guessing there’s maybe a million other people doing the same across the country. The move every 14 days rule might not be enforced.
One advantage of old farms is it’s a good place to work on rigs. And my junk blends in with all the other junk. I was allocated a 50’x100’ uncovered but walled space to fill up with as much junk as a want lol. Now there’s two buses, two motorhomes, and five small trailers. If something happens to me my friend can have it all.
BLM announced today that the 14 day limit remains in effect.