Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2017, 07:28 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Bedroom dimensions 7.5 ft x ?

I'm considering a conventional 2002 or so International 65 passenger bus. Recognizing that at best we're talking arm-waving accuracy here due to different manufacturers and model years and the like...
How much room am I likely to have from the back of the wheel wells to the back wall?
I already know that the width is likely 7' 6", so maybe I ought to just scale the floorplans I see... but some measurements would help if anyone would be so kind as to post a reply.

Thanks!

Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:58 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
I'm considering a conventional 2002 or so International 65 passenger bus. Recognizing that at best we're talking arm-waving accuracy here due to different manufacturers and model years and the like...
How much room am I likely to have from the back of the wheel wells to the back wall?
I already know that the width is likely 7' 6", so maybe I ought to just scale the floorplans I see... but some measurements would help if anyone would be so kind as to post a reply.

Thanks!
Mine is a 2003 65 pax International... I'll measure in the morning.
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 03:13 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I have the bus you're considering. I just measured it and the measurements are 7.5 X 9. That puts it right up to the wheel well
tobeamiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
I have the bus you're considering. I just measured it and the measurements are 7.5 X 9. That puts it right up to the wheel well
I got essentially the same, 9'2"

Sandi
www.thismidwifetravels.com
Old 02-04-2017, 09:00 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Thanks, folks! That really helps.
Old 02-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapplecreek View Post
Thanks, folks! That really helps.
p.s. I put a king sized bed back there. Which I am not unhappy about, BUT, it has limited what I can put between the bed and the wheel well, just something to keep in mind.

Sandi
www.thismidwifetravels.com
Old 02-04-2017, 09:16 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderWoman View Post
...I put a king sized bed back there....
I plan to put in a split king: two twins, side by side (so I can't steal my wife's covers near so easily). But I'm tall, so I plan to add 6" of foam cushion attached to a headboard that raises and mount the bed sideways with me at the back. Roll out of bed, lift headboard and 6" cushion, and slide the bed toward the head end under the lifted headboard and cushion. This should create enough room for me to squeeze around the foot of the bed instead of making my wife get up in the middle of the night. If it ever materializes I'll post it.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:14 AM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
King bed

My bed started out as two XL twins with one mounted permanent and the other as a Murphy bed to fold down and make a king. My threw a kink in that by suggesting a trundle instead. The more I thought about it the more sense it made. Gives us more storage. I have an old trundle mechanism that raises up to make the bed even with the other twin. There is a company here in Houston that makes custom size pillow tops.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:30 AM   #9
Bus Nut

I plan on making a platform bed with lots of storage underneath. I'm going with either a full or a double size mattress. I'm not sure if they sell the "double" size anymore though but I'll certainly try to find it.
Wanderwoman...it probably is 9'2"....I measured quickly this morning in the dark before work If you think about it, that's a good size bedroom by any standards
Old 02-04-2017, 12:06 PM   #10
Bus Nut

The problem is that no matter how you lay out a split king, it's still tough to make you way around it. So I'm trying to figure out how to play our cards so we win.

See, the situation is like this.
  • I get up once or twice a night, and get up earlier than my wife of a morning.
  • I want her to have free access to the bathroom.
  • I weigh nearly twice what I should, so crawling over her would be a bad idea.
  • She has sleep problems, so I want to do NOTHING that would be likely to mess with her sleep.
Bunks? Fine for temporary (like getting across the country) but less so for full-timing. Hammocks? Dude, you're smokin'...

But we might do a transverse mounted standard twin for her, on the side nearest the bathroom. I would have another standard twin next to hers, which slid away from the headboard by six inches or so, with a 'fill' cushion for use under my pillow: instant XL twin! And I could tuck the mattress back under the headboard when I get up, giving me 89-75=14 inches of room to scoot around the foot of the bed.

At 400 lbs I am a bit dubious about the idea, but I *did* consider ladders and slides on each side so I could climb up and slide over her out of or back in to bed... Might lead to comments by visitors, too. Trapezes? Naah - low ceiling.

Still thinking: I've also considered a tunnel along the center axis of the bus, so I could crawl UNDER the bed to go use the facilities (too weird, not to mention difficult), and get-out-using-the-emergency-exit-and-walk-around-to-the-front-to-get-back-in (too cold, and might scare the other campers). Or align the twin beds on the bus axis, each against an outside wall, with a decent walkway between. And my mattress could be on rollers to snug it up against my wife's to make a king bed out of the combo: either one of us wants to get up and I press a button or some such and roll my mattress away to create the walkway. But I could also imagine the catch giving way and me suddenly disappearing - might really kill the mood.

Any thoughts?

Strike that. Any constructive thoughts?
Old 02-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
I plan on making a platform bed with lots of storage underneath. I'm going with either a full or a double size mattress. I'm not sure if they sell the "double" size anymore though but I'll certainly try to find it.
Wanderwoman...it probably is 9'2"....I measured quickly this morning in the dark before work If you think about it, that's a good size bedroom by any standards
Have you seen the pics of my platform bed? I have approx 42 sq ft of storage space underneath. I have to step up on a step stool to get in it, but I love being able to put so much (including a doggie safe space) under it.

More pics on my blog: www.thismidwifetravels.com

Sandi
Old 02-04-2017, 05:36 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Hahaha @ disappearing!!
I don't know what to tell you except to forget about the split bed. Keep it simple and have your wife sleep on the wall side. I dunno...
I like your setup Wanderwoman. You also gave me an idea I hadn't thought of. I plan on using a platform bed with storage underneath but making it taller like yours gives me even more storage space.