Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2020, 10:42 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
Yeah Tony, read the questions and answers. according to maintenance records it is around 240K. The instrument cluster has been worked on several times. When I bought my bus I got the entire service records for my bus a stack of papers over 6 inches tall!
I did see that. ;) Looks like BamaBus posted that question. Should I worry about the odometer having been worked on several times? Is that a big deal, or easy fix?

Tony_108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:55 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
If traveling for the right bus doesn't bother you, check out AAA bus sales and service in Phoenix. Lots to choose from and good reputation.
Thanks! I'll check it out...
Old 05-25-2020, 11:02 PM   #43
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC/2000
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12-valve
Rated Cap: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_108 View Post
I did see that. ;) Looks like BamaBus posted that question. Should I worry about the odometer having been worked on several times? Is that a big deal, or easy fix?
I read the questions but skipped the part about the odometer being worked on. I really thought it had low miles. Wouldn't bother me that the odometer had been repaired/replaced. A lot of them have.
BamaBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 11:43 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Hi Oscar1! Thanks for the tip on the roof! Fortunately, my boyfriend and I are on the shorter side, so I don't think the height will make or break it for us. I'm about 5'6" and he's about 5'10". But, of course, more height equals more space, so it would "feel" bigger.
Yep same for us, I'm 5'10" and my wife is 5'4" so with the Thomas high roof we are doing great for ceiling height.
Good luck with your search.
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:17 AM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
What do you think about 240k on the engine?
less than I had on my 92. Its not obscene mileage.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:19 AM   #46
Bus Geek

Quote:
Pretty much EVERY navistar has had its gauges replaced.

lol Why do I feel like I'm selling a bus?

I guess I just hate to see folks buy overpriced dealer buses and vistas.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:26 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
Yep same for us, I'm 5'10" and my wife is 5'4" so with the Thomas high roof we are doing great for ceiling height.
Good luck with your search.
Thank you! And, thank you for all of your help!
Old 05-26-2020, 10:28 PM   #48
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Pretty much EVERY navistar has had its gauges replaced.

lol Why do I feel like I'm selling a bus?

I guess I just hate to see folks buy overpriced dealer buses and vistas.
Can't tell you how much I appreciate that! I really need all of this insight! I think I'm gonna make a play for this one. I'm not sure if they're allowing appointments for viewing, test drives, etc. due to the current situation. But, I'm going to try to find out. Now, if they do allow that, anyone know a good bus/truck mechanic in the area? Lol
Old 05-26-2020, 10:31 PM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Can't tell you how much I appreciate that! I really need all of this insight! I think I'm gonna make a play for this one. I'm not sure if they're allowing appointments for viewing, test drives, etc. due to the current situation. But, I'm going to try to find out. Now, if they do allow that, anyone know a good bus/truck mechanic in the area? Lol
I'm just wondering why they listed the condition as FAIR? Looks to be in excellent shape. I've haven't ever shopped the auctions, so I'm not sure what the criteria is.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:21 PM   #50
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Quote:
What do you think about 240k on the engine?
For a diesel that is not a big deal. my last pickup was a diesel and it lasted forever.... still had a lot of life left in it but I wanted something with new technology and all the bells and whistles.

I really hate to see people buy from dealers that snag the buses off the auction sites and just resell them for thousands more. I know a lot of buses I failed to get on auction I would see being sold from dealers on craigslist, facebook, etc. for so much more that they paid for it.

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 02:37 PM   #51
Mini-Skoolie

Well folks, the mid-size bus on the Oregon Public Surplus is already going for $4,350 and there's still almost 3 days left on the auction. So, it seems like it's going to go beyond what would be a reasonable price...? But, I just wanted to take a minute to thank you all for your input, comments, and suggestions! You guys have been awesome...so, thank you! Back to the drawing board (aka Google)! Hope you are all well!
Old 05-30-2020, 04:29 PM   #52
Bus Nut

Well I think you need to think about that bus seriously

If it fits what you want spending five thousand on it makes more sense than passing it up. It has stopped at 4350.

Don’t forget if you go a fair distance away it will cost you in travel to and fro.

So with a buyers premium you are looking at 5500.
Seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:50 PM   #53
Bus Geek

With auctions that auto-extend its really in your best interest to put in your honest top dollar you'd pay as early as you can. That forces anyone else interested to spend more than you're willing to.
If you wait till the last minute it extends and usually just erupts into a mild bidding war.
Old 05-30-2020, 09:48 PM   #54
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
OP, I would not even look at that 9k Vista if you're on the west coast. That area of the country has some of the nicest school buses you can find.

I like that high roof WC bus on PS in Bend Oregon but it's been getting a lot of attention which is usually bad for the selling price.

I can see where people like EC advocate to put in their final bid right away but the vast majority of these auctions see most of the bidding in the final minutes. Just get ready to be sniped.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:22 PM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you all for the information, tips, etc.! They do have a proxy bid that will automatically place incremental bids up to whatever your maximum is. Maybe that is an option. I genuinely do not know what I should reasonably pay for this bus, though. I would be buying sight unseen, without being able to test drive or have anyone check it out, so that is really scary. I have watched a couple of auctions, and definitely agree that there is usually a last minute bidding push. This one is already up to $4,600 and there's still two more days.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:10 AM   #56
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIbluebird View Post
OP, I would not even look at that 9k Vista if you're on the west coast. That area of the country has some of the nicest school buses you can find.

I like that high roof WC bus on PS in Bend Oregon but it's been getting a lot of attention which is usually bad for the selling price.

I can see where people like EC advocate to put in their final bid right away but the vast majority of these auctions see most of the bidding in the final minutes. Just get ready to be sniped.
Its impossible to snipe. The auction extends if you last minute bid.
Say that bus is worth 4900 to me. Why would I wait to bid at the last minute? I bid 4900 and I leave it alone.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:02 AM   #57
Almost There

Year: Ď09
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Vision
Engine: 6.7
Rated Cap: 35í
If you're not mechanically inclined, maybe a newer bus would suit you better. I know a lot of people like the "mechanical" older busses, but I'm the opposite. Keep a newer bus maintained and it will not give you any problems. At least only a few.
Ranchorossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:54 AM   #58
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchorossa View Post
If you're not mechanically inclined, maybe a newer bus would suit you better. I know a lot of people like the "mechanical" older busses, but I'm the opposite. Keep a newer bus maintained and it will not give you any problems. At least only a few.
IDk, the foreman at the navistar service center told me he'd never buy a diesel anything newer than 03. Said they're neck deep in engine replacements on Vt365's and Maxxforce stuff. Diesels have gotten so hard to keep running that manufacturers of buses have started selling propane, natural gas, and even gasoline engines again. I'd say if you want an emissions era bus, you'd better be a technician to fix it yourself. The older stuff is the same as maintaining an older car, just larger.
Maybe if you have deep pockets a newer bus could be fun. I can't afford to fix unnecessary emissions equipment. Your cummins is maybe the safest bet, but later model buses also come with not-fun multiplexed electrical systems that can make for some fun times.
The school bus fleet forum is great place to read about late model buses. Check em out.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:38 PM   #59

Tony_108 - The one thing I would suggest is finding a diesel mechanic that you can trust to check over a bus from bumper to bumper. It might cost you a few hundred dollars but that can save you thousands of dollars and hours of headache down the road. If you are looking at a bus in a different part of the country, hire a local mechanic but ask if they are associated with the auction or seller in any way.
DavidD70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 07:54 PM   #60
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriousracer View Post
Donít forget if you go a fair distance away it will cost you in travel to and fro.
I have a CDL and am currently working with another member here in regards to driving their out-of-state purchase. Depending on how well it goes, I might be up for the occasional such jaunt. I drove semis over-the-road for a few years until respiratory problems made it necessary to give it up, at least on a daily basis. I still keep my CDL and med card current though.

I started driving scrUber, which is the rip-off I make it sound like. Basically forced to put up with a lot of unreasonable people for sub-minimum wage. I think I'd be up for the occasional bus transport for the right compensation. I think for simplicity's sake, though, I would prefer the buyer have a hitch installed so I can tow my car behind. Cheaper and easier than a rental car.
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote