Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #61
Almost There

Year: ‘09
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Vision
Engine: 6.7
Rated Cap: 35’
It's a diesel bus. You're going to put money into at some point. I'd just rather pay more upfront and be driving it than pay bottom dollar and be working on it all the time. Yep, I had a 6.0, worst engine ever.

Ranchorossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 08:21 AM   #62

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomasbuilt
Chassis: 28'
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Thumbs up Got a 28' Thomas 1999 3800 myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_108 View Post
Got it! You guys are awesome! Thank you! The local school district auctions should be opening up next week, once the lockdown lifts, so I'm hoping I can find something there. I've been seeing the same buses for sale, day after day after day...all ones I've already ruled out. So, I'm feeling a little hopeless. I've gotten everything set up, financially, to get the build done and hit the road...a little frustrating that the only thing holding me up is finding a bus! Lol
Sounds like you have a lot of the engine issues already worked out and the windows are really nice. Mine had some neglect issues when I picked 'er up. But the engine is reliable, the transmission means you go a little slower, but like they guy said, just remember the number 643, in case you need a replacement. Mine already had a hatch cut into the floor to access the transmission from above. it just needs some hinges. The nice part is, whatever you end up with is a creation of your own hands. You have renovated an undervalued commodity in our society. The guy in the $65,000 used RV parked next to you at the campground is not $50,000 better off, you are. Get a copy of the engine service manual, the electrical troubleshooting manual and the schematics. Don't buy cheap electrical parts online, they'll screw things up. Find a bus garage mechanic and get to know him, cruise You tube and online sources like JustAnswer to get some expert help when your in a pinch. Your's has decent paint, so you can motor through states like Michigan that have a cow if your bus is still standard yellow. The price just depends on what you think of what the guy has done with it. Expect to pay about $1600 for a full set of tires new if you have to do that. Get used to the idea they run at much higher pressure than any car or pick up, so you may want to make sure you have access to a decent size compressor. Anxious to see how you progress.
balawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:11 PM   #63
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 7.3 Diesel Powerstroke Turbo
About 5 hours south of you on I-5 is Wolf Creek, OR. There is a guy who has a lot with multiple buses for sale. No website that I can find, but search this forum and you can find contact info. Haven’t heard anything negative about him and for $9K you could get some really decent from him.
Jfoster503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 11:14 PM   #64
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfoster503 View Post
About 5 hours south of you on I-5 is Wolf Creek, OR. There is a guy who has a lot with multiple buses for sale. No website that I can find, but search this forum and you can find contact info. Haven’t heard anything negative about him and for $9K you could get some really decent from him.
That guy better have a yard full of Crown's for that kind of money!!
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:21 AM   #65
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
That guy better have a yard full of Crown's for that kind of money!!
Agreed.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:30 PM   #66
Mini-Skoolie

lol it’s been a year since I looked him up, but don’t remember his shorties being unreasonably priced.. Has several listed on Craigslist if you want to check out his prices.
Old 06-06-2020, 12:32 PM   #67
Mini-Skoolie

Here’s a link: https://redding.craigslist.org/ctd/d...124395790.html
Old 06-06-2020, 01:13 PM   #68
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
IDk, the foreman at the navistar service center told me he'd never buy a diesel anything newer than 03. Said they're neck deep in engine replacements on Vt365's and Maxxforce stuff.

Agreed that emissions-era buses are more problematic, but those two quoted motors are notoriously terrible...

Not all ECU (ECM?) equipped buses are emissions era. Most '98-'03 and into '04 buses have some electronic controls, which play well with their transmissions, ABS and you can pull some diagnostics off them. They also smoke a lot less and are easier on turbos. The Navistar service foreman above doesn't seem to mind them, as his cutoff is probably emissions related at 2003.

I know what you're saying, and I agree with you, but I wouldn't be afraid of a Cummins ISB, ISC or Navistar DT 466E because it isn't "purely mechanical." You and I both know we are talking about mechanically injected engines, versus the later common rail or emissions laden ones, but I often hear "purely mechanical" tossed around as such a huge advantage when in fact a good late '90s motor is perfectly good and has some advantages, especially for someone who doesn't want to tune it.

Others may be confused. YMMV. Not in my backyard. Get off my lawn. Its early and I need coffee...
TomA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:41 PM   #69
Bus Geek

Oh I own a computer controlled engine bus, man. I mean the 2004 and up emissions. Computer controlled injection is fine with me. Easier on my right leg than the complex linkages of a mechanical engine.

I won't buy a DT with an egr.

But yeah these days I totally prefer buses from the later 90's. While quality was still decent and the only emissions controls were the way the injection was controlled/actuated. The early electronic engines can be tuned easily with the right software and you can look at all kinds of useful data.

And I just had my afternoon cup of coffee and joint lol.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #70
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird All American
Chassis: AA RE 3903
Engine: 8.3L Cummins Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 36200
Hey, Tony!!!

I am also in WA state and bought my bus in Arizona! I would do it again, too.

I bought from Tony at AAA Bus Sales. Yes, that means more money, but you get what you pay for, especially since this skoolie movement has become pretty popular. I wanted the reassurance I could drive it back home! So, I had no issues paying what I paid for my bus from Tony. He was a lot of fun to work with, very informative, and a lot of skoolie folks buy from him, return to him for parts and service.

I honestly could not find a bus that had what I wanted any other way. The auctions - all the good-ish ones - were well over the price I wanted to pay for a bus that I was not sure would make it off the lot after I purchased it.

I also wanted a desert bus - less rust. I had a few spots that we had to address after removing the bus flooring, but really no rust at all in my bus.

Did I mention that Tony will also remove the seats? He offers a lot of services. I really enjoyed working with him and his team of guys and would do it again.
Mom2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 03:24 PM   #71
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2three View Post
Hey, Tony!!!

I am also in WA state and bought my bus in Arizona! I would do it again, too.

I bought from Tony at AAA Bus Sales. Yes, that means more money, but you get what you pay for, especially since this skoolie movement has become pretty popular. I wanted the reassurance I could drive it back home! So, I had no issues paying what I paid for my bus from Tony. He was a lot of fun to work with, very informative, and a lot of skoolie folks buy from him, return to him for parts and service.

I honestly could not find a bus that had what I wanted any other way. The auctions - all the good-ish ones - were well over the price I wanted to pay for a bus that I was not sure would make it off the lot after I purchased it.

I also wanted a desert bus - less rust. I had a few spots that we had to address after removing the bus flooring, but really no rust at all in my bus.

Did I mention that Tony will also remove the seats? He offers a lot of services. I really enjoyed working with him and his team of guys and would do it again.
I've been considering a bus from them as well...what specs did you end up with? Were you able to negotiate the price at all?
jjaj823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:15 PM   #72
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaj823 View Post
I've been considering a bus from them as well...what specs did you end up with? Were you able to negotiate the price at all?
You can see my vehicle info under my name to the left of this forum post, but I will copy and paste it here for ya...

Exactly what I wanted!!

They had just finished rebuilding the engine, too.

I didn't bother negotiating the price, I knew I was getting a good deal with the rebuilt engine. He also pulled out all of the seats, but one row.

It has the under bay storage (two that go all the way through to the other side - a perk having a RE). The only thing it did not come with was the taller ceiling height. It was standard height. Oh, and it is a 40'. Hardly any rust with it being a desert bus. That saves money and a lot of time. It topped out at 74 MPH on the freeway and did well on the mountain passes on the drive home. Granted, that is before anything on the inside is done.

I am very happy with it.
Old 06-07-2020, 09:54 PM   #73
Skoolie

Coachwork: International
Chassis: RE300
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2three View Post
You can see my vehicle info under my name to the left of this forum post, but I will copy and paste it here for ya...

Exactly what I wanted!!

They had just finished rebuilding the engine, too.

I didn't bother negotiating the price, I knew I was getting a good deal with the rebuilt engine. He also pulled out all of the seats, but one row.

It has the under bay storage (two that go all the way through to the other side - a perk having a RE). The only thing it did not come with was the taller ceiling height. It was standard height. Oh, and it is a 40'. Hardly any rust with it being a desert bus. That saves money and a lot of time. It topped out at 74 MPH on the freeway and did well on the mountain passes on the drive home. Granted, that is before anything on the inside is done.

I am very happy with it.
The mobile version of the site doesn't show bus info. Sorry!

Glad to hear about another good experience with AAA. Thanks!
jjaj823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:58 PM   #74
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaj823 View Post
The mobile version of the site doesn't show bus info. Sorry!

Glad to hear about another good experience with AAA. Thanks!

Oh, that makes sense, re: mobile version of the forum.

Anytime! I am happy to let others know about AAA Bus Sales. They are great folks to work with!
Old 06-14-2020, 08:00 AM   #75
Bus Nut

Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
My 2 cents..... middlemen making money. AAA and the Wolf Creek Guy in Oregon. These are the folks you bid against on the auctions. I am happy I got my bus off of publicsurplus. It cost me $2100. After a year of looking and biding I found my bus fairly close to me (rust free Oregon). The money saved from buying on auction is more money I can dedicate to my build.

P.S. bidding is a wild game. I lost a lot and at the end got luck for my bus. be patient.

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:19 AM   #76
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post
My 2 cents..... middlemen making money. AAA and the Wolf Creek Guy in Oregon. These are the folks you bid against on the auctions. I am happy I got my bus off of publicsurplus. It cost me $2100. After a year of looking and biding I found my bus fairly close to me (rust free Oregon). The money saved from buying on auction is more money I can dedicate to my build.

P.S. bidding is a wild game. I lost a lot and at the end got luck for my bus. be patient.
yep- I bid low and bid often. I got my $1600 bus by knowing what to look for and bidding on LOTS of buses. One at a time usually.
I find one I like that's newly listed and I bid MY "top dollar" bid right away. Anyone that wants if then has to pay more than my all or nothing lowball bid.
My top dollar bid is still a lowball price. But It sometimes works and I've gotten some amazing deals.
Old 06-14-2020, 02:43 PM   #77
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovobay View Post

Valid point, but a peace of mind that it’s not a dud and in the case of Wolf, a 24 hour return policy, might be worth it to those without knowledge. I researched and studied for a year and still wouldn’t have been able to spot anything but major problems.
Old 06-16-2020, 09:25 PM   #78
Mini-Skoolie

Well, I'm back! Lol Had a little hiatus...

I have read through all the posts and think I'm caught up now! Thank you, everyone, for all of the information!

I do plan on having a mechanic check out the bus before I purchase, whenever that is. The public auctions don't seem to have a lot to offer right now, and the ones that are decent start getting into crazy prices!

I am looking for a mid-size bus (6- windows, so it gets a little harder to find those with decent options. I check AAA Bus Sales in AZ everyday! But, they don't seem to have a lot of inventory coming through, and most of the buses they list are large buses, or real short ones.

I have come across a couple of 1999 or 2000 Blue Bird buses, with a Cummins 5.9 and AT 545. In reading about this combo, it could be a little underpowered for mountains, etc. But, everything I have read about that was for full-sized buses. Maybe in a shorter bus this would be okay? What do you think?

My search still contines! Lol Everyday...Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, AAA Bus Sales, Google, Ebay, and on and on and on...

Hope everyone is doing well!
Tony_108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 09:27 PM   #79
Mini-Skoolie

*** 6-8 window*** Not sure how the little dude with sunglasses got in there! Lol
Old 06-16-2020, 09:29 PM   #80
Mini-Skoolie

Yes!! This is exactly how I feel about it. Neither myself nor my boyfriend are mechanically inclined. So, we know we will have to spend money on repairs, etc. So, we're really trying to pick "the best bus" to start out with.