Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2010, 05:27 PM   #1
Skoolie

BENDIX TU-FLO 501 Compressor Rebuild CSI

Hi
I have a 87 Chevy Bluebird 366 gas, 545 Allison trans, air brakes, The compressor is for the air brakes is running rough, slight vibration, I think its time for a tear down and inspection, always find a good deal of oil in the drain tank, the compressor shares the oil with the engine and it goes through a quart every 800 miles, the engine does not smoke I am pretty sure the oil consumption is from the air compressor.

Does anybody have a service manual for one of these and or any advice on rebuilding, where to get parts?

The compressor is BENDIX TU-FLO 501

M/N 288942
S/N F2987T

Found a link for the piston rings
http://www.hastingsmfg.com/RingFinderMa ... s&AddText=

I am still searching for info hopefully I can find a over haul kit and instructions

Thanks in advance.

IF this post is in the wrong spot sorry and maybe the admin can move it for me?

hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: BENDIX TU-FLO 501

I would strongly suggest ya find a good used compressor or an exchange compressor. Let your fingers do the walking. Call the salvage places and find a local rebuild shop. Find some shop who will buy same for you. Buy exactly the same pump. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:57 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-id
I would strongly suggest ya find a good used compressor or an exchange compressor. Let your fingers do the walking. Call the salvage places and find a local rebuild shop. Find some shop who will buy same for you. Buy exactly the same pump. Frank
Why not rebuild cant be any more complicated than a auto, motorcycle or ATV engine?
Old 06-14-2010, 06:08 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser
Why not rebuild cant be any more complicated than a auto, motorcycle or ATV engine?
The compressor may have gouged cylinder walls, thus a possible cause for a leak. If this is so, then resleeving is required if you're wanting to rebuild. However, resleeving is more than what a new compressor will cost. This happened to me with my 3406 Cat when I was an O/O and when I owned my M109A3.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser
The compressor may have gouged cylinder walls, thus a possible cause for a leak. If this is so, then resleeving is required if you're wanting to rebuild. However, resleeving is more than what a new compressor will cost. This happened to me with my 3406 Cat when I was an O/O and when I owned my M109A3.
I think it would be pretty easy to pull the head and do a visual on the cylinder walls then if damaged to the point the sleeves need replaced I could just button it up and trade it in on a rebuild..

Anybody have a service manual for one of these?

Thanks
Old 06-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Re: BENDIX TU-FLO 501 Compressor Rebuild CSI

A bendix link:

http://www.bendixvrc.com/itemDisplay...ocumentID=2390
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
Skoolie

Anybody know if their is place to get compressor in the Vegas area?

87 Chevy C 60 Chassis Bluebird body the engine is 366 gas, 545 Allison trans, air brakes,
The compressor is BENDIX TU-FLO 501

M/N 288942
S/N F2987T

The pulley is a single pulley and the diameter of the pulley appears to be 9" or 9.5" in diameter hard to measure installed.

Thanks
Old 11-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #8
Bus Nut

A long time ago and far from home....

my air compressor threw a rod thru the side of the case. The rebuilt or new prices for a similar air pump were very expensive. So.... I got a nice Emglo 2 cylinder compressor at a pawn shop for $150. The broken pump was removed and the oil supply plugged. The inverter started the portable air pump nicely after making the air hose connections. The ac pump was very slow to pump up bus air system compared to the factory pump. In a couple weeks, we returned to our home and got another pump. All worked well with no problems. I could have also used my gen set to operate the compressor. Frank
Old 11-09-2010, 05:51 PM   #9
Skoolie

Re: A long time ago and far from home....

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-id
my air compressor threw a rod thru the side of the case. The rebuilt or new prices for a similar air pump were very expensive. So.... I got a nice Emglo 2 cylinder compressor at a pawn shop for $150. The broken pump was removed and the oil supply plugged. The inverter started the portable air pump nicely after making the air hose connections. The ac pump was very slow to pump up bus air system compared to the factory pump. In a couple weeks, we returned to our home and got another pump. All worked well with no problems. I could have also used my gen set to operate the compressor. Frank
I was thinking the same thing stop by sears get a compressor hook to generator, also get another larger air tank so it had plenty of reserve right now the stock system when full I can make about 10 cycles of the brake petal before it calls for the compressor to run I could easily triple that with a tank so would have plenty of reserve, 99% of my driving is straight interstate.

Heck this might be my last trip for this old gal it needs a compressor and a complete exhaust system might be a good time to cut my losses and upgrade to a shorter (shorter than my current 35' long) diesel bus that will pull a 20-24' enclosed trailer (about 5k lbs total) then just part this one out...

Still looking for a replacement compressor in the Vegas area if price is right anybody else?

Thanks again
Old 11-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Ya got the best length bus

You can find what you need for this bus cheaper than getting another bus. Fix what ya got... Frank
Old 08-17-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
Bus Nut

I agree, just buy a new or rebuilt pump. Much easier and faster to do, and you will be assured the pump has been rebuilt properly and will last a long time. You are making the issue harder than it has to be by trying to rebuild it. You should be able to find what you need from a little searching on the net.
Same for the exhaust, it's much cheaper to replace the pump and exhaust than to buy another bus and start over with something you don't know the history on. JMHO.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote