Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2021, 06:13 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Freightliner
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 77
Best tow dolly for minivan

Hey all!! We are a family of 7 that will be using our 40' dog-nose for 1-2 week trips throughout the year, with an occasional month long trip. We will likely tow our minivan and use it for grocery runs and touring near where our Basecamp is parked. We live in MN, so any mountains are an 8+ hour drive. We would probably tow the van behind the bus till we get to mountains, small/rough roads, or near our destination. Then we will take the van off, tow the dolly behind the van, and my wife would drive the van.

Our 2017 Chrysler Pacifica is front wheel drive and weighs in at 4330. Any recommended Dolly's, or any to steer clear of? I would definitely opt for a dolly with brakes.

Any experience with this company/product? It says up to 5000 lbs, brakes are an option, it flips upright for storage, and $2400 (with brakes) seems reasonable.

https://towsmarttrailers.com/products/stand-up-ez-haul-car-tow-dolly?variant=39573062090800

Any other tips I should know for towing? I have driven construction trucks with trailers, but it's been awhile and it was never anything the size of a bus!!

MNbusboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 07:22 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
I bought a roadmaster tow dolly with steerable wheels and electric brakes. I think it was 4400 lbs rated. I have used it with my Jeep liberty and a 1500 Dodge pick up. It is a nice unit and I have no regrets. I think that the demco units are good, I have seen them up close. Some are just chintzy junk. You get what you pay for.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:46 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
I looked at the video of the link you posted. Very nice feature. Mine takes up a lot of space. I liked the way the young lady made it stand up. That's important.