Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2006, 02:29 PM   #1

Bolt on overdrive

I'm looking to decrease my highway RPM (currently about 3.5k-4k at highway speeds), and I've read about bolt-on overdrives. Anyone have any experience with these? Any good places to look? I have an AT540 I'd like to mate it with. Or would a two-speed rearend be better/cheaper/easier-to-find? Thanks,

David
mailto:dquacken@engineering.uiowa.edu

jstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 03:04 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Lowering hiway engine RPM.

Some serious homework is needed to achieve the desired effect. Go to a salvage yard and seek all information available. Most salvage yarsds can intelligently give advise on what gears or complete rear axle assemble will fit what vehicle. With some planning, good tools and talent nearly any rear axle can be installed. To make an informed decision, all the factors must be noted. The short list of information needed are, engine type, type of transmission, weight of vehicle, desired vehicle top speed, desired engine maximine rpm and money required for parts and installation. Some rear axles are very simple and have very low costs. The most important part of any task is the plan. One man's trash is another man's treasure. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote