Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2008, 01:20 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Chevrolet
Broke into my bus...

Hi everyone,

Someone decided to break into my bus a few nights ago. They just couldn't pass up my little $20 radio I stupidly forgot to take out of it.

So, my question is, they broke two of the windows out from the door. Anybody have tips for places to get new glass, and how to put the glass in? I am trying to think positively, I guess I needed new rubber seals anyway.

Thanks!
-Nathan

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 06:41 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Broke into my bus...

nearly all of the glass on all of my buses were made of flat glass. This is excellent news since nearly any glass shop can and will cut pieces of laminated glass to any size/shape you want. I usually take my bus to the shop and let them install the windows. I have broken one to many windows installing myself and it's just not worth the frustration.

just get out the yellow pages and start calling glass shops....ask them. glass is cheap too. I bet you can get both pieces of glass in your front door installed for way under $100 bucks.

i have a great sticker i purchased so i could stick it to the door of my last bus but never did....it reads:

There is Nothing In Here Worth Your Life....Please Don't Risk It

I've been pretty lucky when it comes to my bus. I've left it parked idling unattended and unlocked for long periods of time while i was inside the bar or club in some pretty bad neighborhoods in both Flint and Detroit. Number 1 and number 3 most dangerous city's in America. (murders per capita) Not only is my bus popular, but i think there are 2 things that has kept it safe....first of all, you can't tell from the outside if there is anybody in the bus or not....and 2nd, i like to immagine that people think to themselves "whoever ownes that bus is obviously crazy" so they decide to leave it alone for their own well being.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
Bus Nut

bus... security

Door glass is about $7.50 per square foot. If ya allow the glass co to do the task, the rate is about $95 per hour and the glass is free. Because I have little money, I usually go to a few body shops and get free glass that is from another flat glass project. Laminated safety glass is very easy to cut. After making a pattern make cut marks on both sides of glass. Put just a little gasoline on cut line and burn gas. The plastic center will melt and glass piece is free. It would be good to practice with any flat glass to learn method. Recently, I replaced my 4 piece windshield for $230 glass only no labor. Installing small pieces of flat glass is very easy. A typical method is to remove window rubber from door, wash in warm soapy water. Install rubber on glass. Around perimeter wrap a thick string or twine. The string should be hanging inside. A helper holds glass up to glass opening. With strings hanging inside at bottom, slowly pull string so as to allow the rubber to overlap the opening. A good tool to help rubber into opening is a cotter pin tool. The end hook will ease the rubber over metal. Be careful the other loose end of string does not pull away. Patience and practice will make the task easier. After getting the rubber started about 4-5 inches, the string will slip the rubber over metal very quickly and nicely. I also use a squirt bottle filled with 50-50 dish soap for a good lube for the rubber. After windowis installed, wash all the soap away and the some windex. Another job well done..... Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the replies! After thinking about it today, I am leaning toward sheetmetal for the bottom two windows in the door, and maybe just pay to get the little triangle window replaced.

I am definitely going to have a "talk" with my bus parking "landlord". Long story short, I am renting some shop space from this guy in Oakland. We made a deal, that he can move my bus around his warehouse area, if he needs to work on his stuff. Then, when I come over, he will make room for me. This had been working fine, until i went over there last night, and found that he moved it out of the warehouse, into a dark back alley, next to two chopped cars for most of last week.

Anyway, enough bitching. Thanks guys!!

-Nathan
Old 02-18-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan
Thanks so much for the replies! After thinking about it today, I am leaning toward sheetmetal for the bottom two windows in the door, and maybe just pay to get the little triangle window replaced.
I find those windows very useful for looking at the curb or getting the door parked exactly where you want it, like not putting the door in front of snow pile or a huge puddle of water. In fact I park my bus into a small place between a pole and a my MG and without the lower windows I would not be able to see the car parked next to me at all while backing up.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Ah, Steve, why do you have to go and make such a good point like that, after I tell everyone I am gonna sheetmetal it in! Hehe... I gotta give that some good thought, since it's good to have that view.

I am on my way over there now, to have a little pow wow with my "landlord". I know I shouldn't hijack my own thread, but I need a little more venting.

I was cleaning up the glass in my bus yesterday, and this guy walks up to me, asking why my bus was parked where it was, in this big warehouse. I replied that my "landlord" had told me to park it there, and said everything was cool. This new guy informed me that he was the owner of the warehouse, and had told my "landlord" repeatedly that he'd been parking my bus in other people's areas, and it had to stop. The owner told me that if it didn't move into my "landlord's" space by today, it was going to be towed. Needless to say, I am even more upset at my landlord, since he never said a word about this ever being a problem, and is basically taking my money, and pissing everyone else off that lives/works there.

Fortunately, I talked to the owner some more, told him I had no idea this had all been going on, got his phone number, and am dealing directly with him from now on. I am going over there to talk to the owner about some other space I can possibly rent, and hopefully get my money back from this untrustworthy guy. After talking to the owner for awhile yesterday, he agreed to let me slide a few days, and to call me directly if anything happens, etc.

Okay, thanks guys. Wish me luck!
Old 02-20-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Lower glass is nice and seeing the curb is useful... however, you can still metal the doors and accomplish the same thing by simply opening the door when trying to get curb side... Just a thought...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote