Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-23-2006, 11:26 PM   #1
Skoolie

Bus Broken Down Along Side The Road!

Not now but sooner or later its going to happen, blown engine, blown trans, dropped drive shaft, rear axle poofkaboom then what?

I want to prepare myself as best I can so if it happens I have a list of names, numbers, links with me to get replacement parts ASAP and without paying too much money for parts because some dealer knows you have limited choices.

All that being said lets pull together and develop list of names and numbers to carry with us.

Have some useful numbers and links you would like to share?

Thanks in advance.

hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:44 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Hmmm... Might be a good idea to join AAA or Good Sam or some such
club. Be sure your rig is licensed as an RV and sort'a looks it.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:21 AM   #3
Bus Nut

I think that the most important thing is to make a truckbook for your skoolie with the components ID'd by manufacturer ie; eaton, spicer, allison, bendix, etc to have component model and assembly/serial number is paramount in being able to locate repair parts @ other than the dealer. Their are many good independant parts houses that stock quality parts @ reasonable prices if you can identify the part properly and talk about it intelligently. Their are engine dealers everywhere, most truck dealers are Detroit,Cat,and Cummins certified dealers with factory trained techs and some parts in stock.
To a parts tech its a MDT be prepared to talk truck with component make model and serial numbers, the uniqueness of a skoolie is the body&conversion not so much the truck part, we just want the truck@ peanuts compared to what a comparable MDT to convert would cost.
Carry spare belts and fuel filters and every time you go into a system record what you find-wheel brgs&seals, air compressor id tag info, brake chambers, clutch parts, trans #'s including gear ratio's if avalable, u-joint and carrier brg #'s, alternator info brake paqrts etc.
He who has the most accurate info wins,
happy holidays
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 12:30 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Hear, hear! I start a nice ring binder for each vehicle and other project.
And I make sure I have that ring binder with me on the road.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
We need to get some decals made up that say "Skoolie.net Approved" or similar and distribute them to places that we find to be helpful and fair, kind of akin to the Better Business Bureau decals you see on windows of businesses. Even better yet, we could use some sort of cryptic message. Maybe we can get Don Brown to sponser us in return for the rights to write about the skoolie.net conspiracy.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:05 PM   #6
Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
I just want to know where I can get one like the one on the back of Steves bus....
Demonknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 10:17 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=298

How about that? [/url]
Old 12-26-2006, 10:07 AM   #8
Skoolie

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
that works..just snagged both of them...I like this board *S* ask and ye shall recieve....mostly
Demonknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:11 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonknight
I just want to know where I can get one like the one on the back of Steves bus....
I don't have any painted ones on my bus anymore I have the vinyl graphics and they look great.

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=328
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:30 AM   #10
Skoolie

I already have a ring binder and cdrom with all the info I could find on my bus so I can do some repairs myself along side the road, I also have the Good Sam's RV club membership thing but lets face it, you break down and they tow you, where they going to tow you? How many RV places would even consider working on a school bus?

Say you blow a transmission or rear axle who do I call to get another, most my air brake stuff NAPA can get, what about a brake drum or shoes, king pin or other front end parts, just call any Chevy dealer?

I am looking for a list of known bus parts vendors I can call, I want to have the list in hand before I break down so I dont spend a day calling around looking to see who stocks a tie rod end for my bus.

Get the picture yet?

No doubt somebody has had to find replacement parts here, so lets have a list of known vendors with contact info so I can carry it with me, no doubt everybody here will want this list also..

Thanks again
Old 01-27-2007, 02:11 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8
There is a book, that can be had in CD form, called "The Bus Direct Pages," located, through this site's link, called "Conversion Books" (links are located on the home page).

This is a yellow pages of parts dealers, whether new or used. The cost is $19.95 for the CD, or $24.95 for the book. BTW, shipping is extra and I think it's still $7.00 for one book or 100.

I do not work or have anything to do with them financially, I'm just a satisfied customer that bought a couple of books from them (this was when Ben still owned it).

I hope this helps,

Roasting
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 02:51 PM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roasting8
There is a book, that can be had in CD form, called "The Bus Direct Pages," located, through this site's link, called "Conversion Books" (links are located on the home page).

This is a yellow pages of parts dealers, whether new or used. The cost is $19.95 for the CD, or $24.95 for the book. BTW, shipping is extra and I think it's still $7.00 for one book or 100.

I do not work or have anything to do with them financially, I'm just a satisfied customer that bought a couple of books from them (this was when Ben still owned it).

I hope this helps,

Roasting
Thanks for the tip, where ever I get a list or links I plan on testing them before using them or printing them out, for example call and ask to see if some basic parts are available like a brake drum, king pin, trans seal, rear axle bearing, try to get a feel what they are... I dont want to learn all this whilst setting in a parking lot where they towed my bus hehe

Thanks again.

Anybody else?
Old 01-27-2007, 05:37 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8
Oops, I forgot to mention, RV-Conversion has a satisfaction garrantee on books, not CDs.

So, if the book doesn't do it for you, just send it back for a refund.
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #14
Bus Geek

My experience with NAPA is that they also carry the drums, kingpins, etc as long as they aren't a podunk store and you don't have something odd like an M-H front axle on a 4wd bus.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:03 PM   #15
Bus Nut

The beauty of NAPA is their supply and distribution system even in podunk they have the ability to locate parts and tell you when they can get them, they can also be a great source of information about other local options. Cat, Cummins and IH guarantee next day delivery of parts if you pay for shipping. The most important thing is to remember that our skoolies are Medium Duty Trucks when it comes to the mechanicaql side of things.
Old 01-31-2007, 06:03 PM   #16
Bus Nut

The beauty of NAPA is their supply and distribution system even in podunk they have the ability to locate parts and tell you when they can get them, they can also be a great source of information about other local options. Cat, Cummins and IH guarantee next day delivery of parts if you pay for shipping. The most important thing is to remember that our skoolies are Medium Duty Trucks when it comes to the mechanical side of things.