Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-25-2020, 06:16 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Isn't that more of an approximation based on the PCM's estimate of fuel flow, though? I mean, it's certainly close, but it could be off by a bit, couldn't it?
idk. Chris showed me the data in my Navistar 444's. It had used the equivalent of like an olympic sized swimming pool. And had run for 17k hours.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:17 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Quote:
Sehnsucht -- ah, that good old BarkFart, er, ParkSmart. It's really not that bad, I guess. When it works like it's supposed to... I've seen several that didn't.
ParkSmart paired with Freightliner's Optimized Idle is a good system WHEN it works. I prefer it over a TriPac and when I park I try to avoid parking next to one or a reefer unit... They are so noisy! The biggest headache with ParkSmart is if one of the batteries goes bad because it'll drag down the performance of the entire system. But it is so convenient in the winter to not have to cold-crank the engine because the bunk heater also warms the engine coolant.

I've long thought a similar setup could work in a well-insulated skoolie. A bunk heater restricted to the bedroom and a second to cover the galley area. Now cooling the whole thing may be another matter altogether.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:47 AM   #43
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Isn't that more of an approximation based on the PCM's estimate of fuel flow, though? I mean, it's certainly close, but it could be off by a bit, couldn't it?
The data is an estimate. I keep track of fuel used and compare it to the ECU data. The ECU shows 15% to 20% more fuel used than what is put into the tank at a fill-up. I have some 8000 miles of such records and it has never recorded the same fuel used as what shows at the fuel pump. I always figured it was that the ECU does not figure in the fuel returned to the tank from the engine.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:01 AM   #44
Bus Geek

Sorry ... douple posting.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:16 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuitsjam View Post
You might be able to call...

It's probably something like a bench warrant for failure to appear in court. If so, you should be able to resolve this easily

In 10 years, the computer systems will probably all be upgraded. Do you want to count on this continuing to not show up? Or on the cops always giving you a pass?
It's not a pass from the cops it's just not an actual bench warrant. I forget what one officer called it, but nobody outside of Florida will do anything about it. I called somebody a few years ago but I didn't get far. Not even sure if it's Pasco county or not.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 04:19 PM   #46
Bus Nut

Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
I believe that in a civil case, the court can rule against you if you don't show up...you would have had to have been served with a summons to appear in court though.
Yeah I don't think I was served. I had an argument with a landlord and I think he sued me. But I moved out of state before getting a notice. I think. Then when my mom was dying I was flying 90mph on the I4 to the airport to get my sister and got a ticket. I never paid that. I really don't care enough either way.

Feel like I'm derailing this thread but op looks like they found a bus and a driver so it's all good.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:56 PM   #47
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Mid Bus
Engine: 6.0 gasser
How soon do you need this bus? I have a trip in one year ( July 2021 ) that I need to be in Bar Harbor. I live in Tucson...that gives you a year to find the right one and I will drive it out to you!
eekalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:59 PM   #48

bus rust

we have bus sales coming up here in oregn that are rust free
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:02 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by herewego View Post
we have bus sales coming up here in oregn that are rust free
They wouldn't be from the Bend area, would they?
Old 05-30-2020, 06:05 PM   #50

there are some there, but i was thinking the willamette valley busses that are rust free
herewego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:07 PM   #51
Bus Geek

We've had several members get Bend buses and none have had rust issues.
Williamette is beautiuful I have some good friends up there.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:18 PM   #52

What are you looking to pay per mile? There are several people who do this type of thing, my husband has done it. Since a bus is so large, you’ll need to have it freshly serviced and drive able, you’ll also need insurance already on it for liability. If the title hasn’t been changed already to a motor home, then you will pay more for a driver who will have to have a CDL. Then have a payment arrangement worked out ahead of time. You should call a logistics company and see what a professional service would charge and then you’ll know about you are looking at.
My guess is that you’d do better buying one from a place that can deliver and roll the fee into the purchase.
Deb&John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:04 PM   #53
Almost There

Chassis: TC RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3 MD 3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by eekalot View Post
How soon do you need this bus? I have a trip in one year ( July 2021 ) that I need to be in Bar Harbor. I live in Tucson...that gives you a year to find the right one and I will drive it out to you!

AW MAN! Could have been perfect but I really need it ASAP! We have been searching for months and really want to get started soon. Don't you want to take a trip now to check out this beautiful Maine summer?!!!
Thanks for the offer.
Mandinee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:07 PM   #54
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb&John View Post
What are you looking to pay per mile? There are several people who do this type of thing, my husband has done it. Since a bus is so large, you’ll need to have it freshly serviced and drive able, you’ll also need insurance already on it for liability. If the title hasn’t been changed already to a motor home, then you will pay more for a driver who will have to have a CDL. Then have a payment arrangement worked out ahead of time. You should call a logistics company and see what a professional service would charge and then you’ll know about you are looking at.
My guess is that you’d do better buying one from a place that can deliver and roll the fee into the purchase.
We are fortunate to have the ever informative CheeseWagon agree to transport for us. He is a seasoned professional and has helped us figure out the logistics, but thank you!
Old 05-31-2020, 07:39 PM   #55
Bus Geek

That is wonderful news! I am sure your bus will be in very capable hands when it is time to transport it.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:38 PM   #56
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
That is wonderful news! I am sure your bus will be in very capable hands when it is time to transport it.
Shout out to CheeseWagon. He is genuinely helping me through this process and even made a scouting trip on my behalf today. He is a true asset to this community. THANK YOU!
Old 06-02-2020, 06:12 PM   #57

Networking is awesome! Best wishes to you guys on your purchase and build! Very capable hands indeed!
Deb&John is offline   Reply With Quote