Old 05-10-2020, 03:03 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Bus for sale-Advice?

Hey everyone Im new to this although I have been researching for awhile. I know everyone says a diesel is better than a gas engine but Im leaning towards a gas engine for the simple fact If I convert a bus and god forbid the engine goes I dont have $12k-$20k to replace the engine and this will be my house. A gas engine could be replaced for a few thousand bucks I would think.

So I found a bus its a 2002 with a Chevy 8.1 Vortec Engine with 165,000 miles...

Any advice on this bus and/or engine is greatly appreciated. I read thats it s heavy duty engine and very reliable....
LennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:37 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
I am new to this and only own a diesel bus for one year now because I happened upon it. I was looking for a class C gas engine MH.

Having owned a gas MH before it was much faster and better acceleration then my diesel bus. My friend has a 32 foot gas MH and he goes up hills fast as a car. My bus goes up steep hills at 17mph! (Just like the big rigs)

Plus diesel costs 25% more per gallon! I am not sure of the attraction of the diesel except it sounds more professional when running and the rumble starting up is great!!
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:58 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Doesn't sound like a bad setup. GM's late model Vortec heads an intake set up are usually transferable to older blocks, so I believe the 8.1 is nothing more than a Mark IV 454 big-block Chevy fitted with a stroker crankshaft, Vortec-style heads and intake. The 454 is a 7.4L, stroker versions were 496 and 502, which came to 8.0 and 8.1L. Good engine AFAIK, its roots go back to the early 1960s / late 1950s, so obviously a tried-and-true platform. The 8.1L will likely have an Allison automatic, but it is probably the weaker AT545.

As already mentioned here, gasoline engines have their good points and bad points, just as diesels do. Two forces are at work here, torque and horsepower. Torque is what does your pulling, horsepower is how fast it accelerates. Diesels are big on torque at low RPM, where gasoline engines have to rev up to make their peak torque. Diesels, in turn, cannot make the same horsepower as a comparably-sized gasoline engine, even with boost.

The trade-off is that a gasoline engine will never be quite as efficient as a diesel, because a gas engine will not make the same torque as a comparably-sized diesel. And more torque at lower RPM will generally make for better fuel efficiency, because the engine doesn't have to work as hard.

Former owner - 1989 Ford B700 64-pass Blue Bird (Rest In Peace, Cheese Wagon)
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:41 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
I like my gas engine, does well for me. I trip not to long ago we drove to Georgia, and a friend drove his safe-t-liner, he did get better mileage, but the cost was a little higher at each fill up for the diesel. So the price difference made gas the better deal overall.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 08:48 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
I like my gas engine, does well for me. I trip not to long ago we drove to Georgia, and a friend drove his safe-t-liner, he did get better mileage, but the cost was a little higher at each fill up for the diesel. So the price difference made gas the better deal overall.
Not to mention emission equipment issues with 04 and up model.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Ooh ooh ooh! YES!!!

Please share with me how to locate such a configuration, that is exactly what I want, ideally in a 4x4 shortie but beggars can't be choosers.

"8.1L" is how I've seen it listed in Suburbans, the Vortec label I think was also used for diesel engines?

Just missed buying a big ol' horse truck with an OEM new version of that motor from 2017

8-(
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Ooh ooh ooh! YES!!!

Please share with me how to locate such a configuration, that is exactly what I want, ideally in a 4x4 shortie but beggars can't be choosers.

"8.1L" is how I've seen it listed in Suburbans, the Vortec label I think was also used for diesel engines?8-(
Vortec is an updated head design for gas 90-degree GM V6 and V8. Separate from their diesel offerings. 8.1s are quite common in U-Haul trucks, WorkHorse / P-chassis motorhomes, and possibly some HD 3500 trucks and SUVs.

DuraMax is the 6.6L diesel from 2001+ , a joint venture with Isuzu if I'm not mistaken. Previous GM light duty diesels were 6.2 and 6.5 Detroit V8s, some applications referred to the 6.5 as the Optimizer 6500. 6.5s were factory turbocharged, 6.2s were not AFAIK. A few early 80s 1/2-tons even got the 5.7L Oldsmodiesel before the 6.2 Detroit showed up in 1982.