Old 02-15-2017, 11:53 AM   #1

Year: 1999
Chassis: A
Bus Inslulation

Hi there folks
I have just bought my bus and the question that I have is has anyone sprayed foam under there bus for added insulation
motorhomegypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhomegypsy View Post
Hi there folks
I have just bought my bus and the question that I have is has anyone sprayed foam under there bus for added insulation
There are many threads here that discuss this in one way or another. The general consensus that I have read is that it is generally not a good idea. Spray foam is not really designed for exposure like that. There could be special products out there that are, but I would suspect they are incredibly expensive.

The most typical method is to either lay down sheet foam on the steel floor of the bus, or to fur the floor up and use closed cell spray foam.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:30 PM   #3

Year: 1999
Chassis: A
Thanks for the come back
Ourmefa
motorhomegypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:35 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
Hi,

A couple of members here have done it. I bet the r value is superb, but concerns are keeping it from getting filthy and absorbing lots of moisture. Hey couldnt someone foam tue underside and then Rhino coat it to keep it sealed? Hmmm...

Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:52 PM   #5
Skoolie

I suppose you could spray foam the areas you wanted to insulate and then cover it over with corrugated plastic (coroplast) to keep it protected from the elements. Some RVs use a similar underbelly protection for their below decks insulation... that is, the few that actually *have* any such insulation.

In general, people seem to prefer insulating above the floor. It does leave the underside more exposed in case maintenance issues come up.
lucasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:56 PM   #6
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
I have a Bluebird that is spray foamed underneath by the factory. It is awesome. It is super quiet and cozy inside as walls are foamed 2", as well. There are no moisture problems on whatever product they used. There is no corrosion under foam on my bus, but areas that were not sprayed have some scale.

The State will scrape it off around some of the bolts when they do road inspections, but otherwise A+. Illinois vehicle.

Others chime-in with experience.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
What about "lizard skin"? Or as mentioned above: closed cell spray foam coated with a Berliner type material or even a quality exterior paint..

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:17 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
There's a type of expanding foam insulation that was used on the bottom of my travel trailer. It was just used to fill in the gaps around the edges underneath. It got very wet and was exposed to everything. I don't know what kind it was though.

You could follow the same way the trailers are done, there's a sort of corrugated plastic that's screwed under the frame to enclose the underbelly. That would protect the insulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote